Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:03 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times

Advertisements

I chose a college based almost entirely on the amount of my scholarship, portability of my scholarship, ability to apply that scholarship to multiple countries. As a result, I was able to apply my full tuition scholarship to studying abroad in 3 different countries for a semester each: Iceland, Mexico, and the UK. I would have loved to have gone to Bolivia instead of Iceland and Jordan instead of the UK, but my parents forbid me thinking it would be unsafe. �� Flights were not all too much more than flying to college in general, and room and board was cheaper in all cases (thanks to homestays in Iceland and Mexico, and eating cheese sandwiches and yogurt for most meals that weren't going to club events for the free food in the UK).

There were some scholarships available, and I got a local scholarship in my hometown that paid for my flight to the UK and back. You can work legally in the UK as an international student, and now there are so many options for online paid work. I know people on traditional programs to Mexico and elsewhere who worked when abroad, but my program was experiential learning so I spent most of the time traveling through Southern Mexico while interning at various small nonprofits, so there wasn't much of an opportunity to teach English the way that you could if you stayed put. Lots of friends helped finance their study abroad - especially related travel while in-country - by teaching English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 11:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I chose a college based almost entirely on the amount of my scholarship, portability of my scholarship, ability to apply that scholarship to multiple countries. As a result, I was able to apply my full tuition scholarship to studying abroad in 3 different countries for a semester each: Iceland, Mexico, and the UK. ...

There were some scholarships available, and I got a local scholarship in my hometown that paid for my flight to the UK and back. You can work legally in the UK as an international student, and now there are so many options for online paid work. I know people on traditional programs to Mexico and elsewhere who worked when abroad, .... Lots of friends helped finance their study abroad - especially related travel while in-country - by teaching English.
Thx... Finally a ray of hope in this thread of 'impossible', 'improbable', 'why would you do a thing like that!'

"Did I hear Geneva is expensive?"
We did homestays in Switzerland (for months). Not expensive (many were free).

We often host teachers from Switzerland who are on (long and frequent) leave.

When we stayed in Australia for 4 months last yr, there were (4) Swiss teachers hanging around the same campus (all on leave from teaching)

Gotta get out more.

Many great opportunities. I would really like to attend; https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
In 2013, nearly 16,000 students studied at Maastricht University, 47% of whom were foreign students, with over 3,200 employees. Wikipedia
Address: Minderbroedersberg 4-6, 6211 LK Maastricht, Netherlands
Undergraduate tuition and fees: 2,006 EUR (2017)
Our guest stays in NL were wonderful!
Food! Usually free, so I had more E$ to spend on street food! Bitterballen and Stroopwafels!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-29-2018 at 11:42 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 12:51 PM

a very common theme here...
https://www.valuecolleges.com/intern...ree-education/

Thousands of American students study abroad every year, and even more take part in short-term research studies and service trips in other countries.
The best international colleges for US students provide an invaluable experience, one that you truly can’t put a price on. But best of all, for many of the best international universities, you don’t have to put a price on it at all – they’re completely free for US students.

with a .com addy... I will 'guess' there is a 'hitch' (similar to the thousands of chinese who come to USA for edu via a 'for-profit' coordinator. Gotta get beyond that and find your own path to accomplish (for free / minimal outlay / NO hand holding).

Old 11-05-2018, 12:31 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,447 times
My kids university offers extensive study abroad programs. The tuition is the same as being on the home campus, however, they still cost $$$ in fees, travel expenses, room, board and personal travel money while there. Of 35,000 undergrads, about 2,000 per year participate in 2 week to 52 week programs. I know lots of kids who have and are doing this, but my daughter can't find one really applicable to her degree and my son does a ton of personal travel without my help. I won't be paying for a study abroad, though I know lots of kids who are doing them and appear to be having the time of their lives. I know three students at Oxford right now, but they are from fairly low income families and I think a combination of excellent grades, grants or potentially crippling loans is what got them there.

My kids are trying to get through undergrad debt free and I think they can do it, though I am pretty sure my daughter would LOVE to go somewhere for a semester.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Interesting thread. ODS has expressed interest in doing a semester abroad, most likely Germany. I don't even know where to begin! I wanted to do the same when *I* was his age many moons ago and never was able to accomplish it. I would love some tips for total idiots like myself.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:03 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Magritte, there's usually a study abroad office on campus for most universities that offer a program. Usually, the choice of schools/locations is based on the students' university partnerships. The students can't just go to any school randomly. Usually, the regular semester tuition covers the cost of the tuition at the foreign school. Room and board may or may not be covered, depending on the program.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Magritte, there's usually a study abroad office on campus for most universities that offer a program. Usually, the choice of schools/locations is based on the students' university partnerships. The students can't just go to any school randomly. Usually, the regular semester tuition covers the cost of the tuition at the foreign school. Room and board may or may not be covered, depending on the program.
He is still in high school. He wants to do one while he is in HS.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Quite common to do International semester while in HS. Our Neighbor hosts international HS students for one term every yr for last 30 yrs.

inbound USA https://www.ciee.org/in-the-usa/acad...igh-school-usa
commercial site for outbound USA
https://www.gooverseas.com/high-school-abroad

Old 11-09-2018, 07:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Explore Quest

https://www.questexchange.org/american-students

or

https://studyabroad.state.gov/us-gov...-k-12-students

Old 11-12-2018, 11:35 AM

97 posts, read 146,769 times
Join the military. They offer free travel all throughout the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education