Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 04:21 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Of course. I did research in my grad program. My oldest didcresearch in her undergrad and is now doing research as part of her grad program, my youngest did research as part of his undergrad though the field work was halted by covid.

More so I have selected, managed, reviewed, and evaluated about 8 figures worth of university and small business research grants. So yes I do have some understanding of university research. And if those professors arent doing the research they proposed, they dont get the next grant.
You and your kids may have done research, but I doubt the professor actually was, while the professor was getting paid to do nothing.

Even if the professor really was doing research, people should not accept research as an excuse for poor teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 05:45 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
R4T, that's a great question. Seems related to the other thread on the antipathy toward education. One of the things that intrigues me is so many of the Greatest Gen couldn't finish high school due the depression and the war but were all well read and supported education. Today we have so many who do complete high school yet disparage education. I dont understand why states dont support what they once considered an essential public duty alongside safety and security.
Right. Education used to be regarded as a pillar of democracy; a well-informed public is essential. Otherwise, the votes can be too easily manipulated. *cough* Too easy to sway people to vote against their best interests. hmm..... Maybe that's what the "dumbing down" in some states is all about. It could be part of the grand plan. And for the people who insist on thinking for themselves, there's always vote suppression.

The problem is, a weak education system makes us less competitive globally. A higher ed system that's only affordable to the upper classes leads to a shrinking middle class, which in turn causes political instability.

I think the prof in the OP got canned mainly because he wasn't tenure-track. He wasn't the only one who wasn't passing a significant percentage of students. It's standard practice in O. Chem.

Old 10-31-2022, 03:32 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They've been forced to raise tuition to an astronomical extent, because of the loss of state government support. State governments used to value higher education. Whatever happened to that basic value? Why haven't state governments been able to better steward their own economy?
Most public universities still receive hundreds of millions of dollars a year from state governments, and in addition millions of dollars (sometimes billions) in federal grants for research. Inflation plus shrinking enrollments plus easy access to student loans plus administrative bloat have all contributed to the dramatic rise in tuition in recent decades.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
And you seriously believe these professors are actually doing research? All they do is bully their grad students and collect a paycheck.
Not all professors do research and publish, though now there's a lot more pressure to publish than when I was in college. And not all research is funded by grants. Most profs in my observation do research as part of the job they're paid by the university to do. However, when profs don't do research or publish, they're expected to teach a higher load of classes.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Most public universities still receive hundreds of millions of dollars a year from state governments, and in addition millions of dollars (sometimes billions) in federal grants for research. Inflation plus shrinking enrollments plus easy access to student loans plus administrative bloat have all contributed to the dramatic rise in tuition in recent decades.
A lot of that money is for maintenance, the building fund, supplies (new computers & other tech and tech maintenance), and other budgetary categories that don't cover teaching.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:45 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not all professors do research and publish, though now there's a lot more pressure to publish than when I was in college. And not all research is funded by grants. Most profs in my observation do research as part of the job they're paid by the university to do. However, when profs don't do research or publish, they're expected to teach a higher load of classes.
But my point is that the teachers in question were very poor teachers who did not take the teaching part of their job seriously at all. Students would just keep defending them, saying that they do really good research. But these students knew nothing about the alleged research that these professors do. And, it's extremely unlikely that these professors were actually doing any significant research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education