Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 07:05 AM

14,367 posts, read 11,769,729 times

Advertisements

Oh, another set that is maybe more arcane:

palate: the roof of the mouth, or sense of taste
palette: an artist's paint board, or range of ciolors
pallet: a flat stand made of boards

It drives me nuts when people mix them up, writing about "flavors that will suit your palette" or "a popular pallet of colors."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 07:28 AM

867 posts, read 727,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
principal/principal
capital/capitol

And when/why did people start substituting “on accident” for “by accident”?

I suspect that "on accident" is derived from its opposite, "on purpose."

There is a VERY long thread about errors in English in the Writing forum:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/writ...-part-3-a.html

Old 01-27-2024, 09:04 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,891,929 times
4 pages too late, but "gone south" is not a mistake or typo. Just means "downhill." So I disagree that that one is used incorrectly.

But all the others - yup, sad state of affairs. It's mainly due to the poor English skills of the parents, though, right? And the failure of the parents to correct their children (as mine often did)? Now those kids grew up...and post here...

Parents now are the same age as the elementary teachers. Do you know any elementary teachers? The days when teachers were reliably intelligent and qualified are long gone (with apologies to all of you out there making it work). I know plenty of teachers (responsible for your children) who cannot speak "Good English."

I'm sorry - I'm a former teacher - and I am not bashing current teachers as a group - I'm just saying, there are many more out there than should be who are teaching today's kids - and their own English is awful. It's not a requirement to be perfect to become a teacher. The main requirement is a willingness to accept the horrible wage and unpleasant parent(s). Teaching "talent" is a distant 4th place.

(to the non-native speakers commenting here - if no one ever told you, I'll do it: Speaking perfect English will be nearly impossible for you, as very - very - few native speakers speak perfect English, and will not even know enough to correct your more subtle errors. This is not about your ability to learn - but about another's ability to teach you.)

Old 01-27-2024, 09:32 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,867,114 times
Using "where" when you mean "were."

Using "weather" when you mean "whether."

Using apostrophes to make words plural. Example, "We are having dinner with the Miller's." NO.

Not knowing when to use "me" vs. "I." Example, "Bart and I's relationship." NO. Or "he served dinner to Bart and I." NO.

Failing to add an "ed" when needed. She "use to" is incorrect; it's "she used to." Or saying that someone is "bias." No, they are "biased."

Saying "she does it on a daily." NO, she "does it on a daily BASIS."

And the one that sends me around the bend is using "defiantly" instead of "definitely."

Old 01-27-2024, 09:39 AM

12,059 posts, read 8,464,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew in Minnesota View Post
Confusing sour and south doesn't happen. Mistaking -r for -th and vice versa isn't a thing. Or, if it is, it's a vanishingly rare one.
I'm thinking in the Spanish speaking countries this could happen as their word for south is dccccccccccccccccccccccccxz <--- Ha! That's a lap cat error.

The Spanish word for south is sur. Could that be what the OP sees?

Old 01-27-2024, 09:46 AM

4,389 posts, read 4,246,430 times
I'm always amused when I see viscous used instead of vicious.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm thinking in the Spanish speaking countries this could happen as their word for south is dccccccccccccccccccccccccxz <--- Ha! That's a lap cat error.

The Spanish word for south is sur. Could that be what the OP sees?
No, I think he was confused by the coexistence of the phrases "to go south" and "to go sour" and assumed that one was a mistake for the other.

Old 01-27-2024, 01:29 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,213,501 times
Most of the mistakes mentioned could be the result of using voice dictation or an autocorrect - which sometimes has the mind of its own

Old 01-27-2024, 01:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,856,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Using "where" when you mean "were."

Using "weather" when you mean "whether."

Using apostrophes to make words plural. Example, "We are having dinner with the Miller's." NO.

Not knowing when to use "me" vs. "I." Example, "Bart and I's relationship." NO. Or "he served dinner to Bart and I." NO.

Failing to add an "ed" when needed. She "use to" is incorrect; it's "she used to." Or saying that someone is "bias." No, they are "biased."

Saying "she does it on a daily." NO, she "does it on a daily BASIS."

And the one that sends me around the bend is using "defiantly" instead of "definitely."
I always struggle with “whether.” I never know if it’s wether or whether.
My husband is not the best with spelling, and he always asks me “Is it where, or were?” when he’s writing something. I suspect auto correct confuses him.

Old 01-27-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Most of the mistakes mentioned could be the result of using voice dictation or an autocorrect - which sometimes has the mind of its own
Agree. For example, "defiantly" might be the result of someone's typing "definately"...which is incorrect, but instead of autocorrecting to "definitely" it turns into "defiantly" instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education