Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:38 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,134,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It came and went with barely a mention in the media.
Are you kidding me?

El Paso Fight Night trended globally on Twitter last night. All the major sports networks covered the fight. Live, and on HBO, the fight was introduced as from El Paso, Texas, the safest city in America. "El Paso" was prominently displayed on the ring posts, the actual ring, and above the ring. UTEP head football coach walked Julio Cesar Chavez Jr to the ring carrying the UTEP pick axe. All of which got mainstream and social media attention. El Paso came out looking a million bucks and the UT Chancellor came out looking like the buffoon he is.

Quote:
So much for the $500,000 to "promote El Paso". Next time get Wallenda to high wire it from Juarez to El Paso.

The only thing disappointing was the attendance. No disputing that. The highest end tickets were completely sold out however. I am assuming everyone made a nice profit as Top Rank Promotions is already planning on returning to El Paso in August or September. The economic impact is well worth the 500K sponsorship. This wasn't the grand slam I honestly thought it was going to be but it was a solid hit for the City. Kudos to all involved and everyone who attended.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 PM

The fight generated a 4.5 million dollar impact. Not bad at all.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
The fight generated a 4.5 million dollar impact. Not bad at all.
That $4.5 million impact was just a guestimate (from who?) when 40,000 were expected to attend and works out to $113 each. It's not really an 'impact' unless it's expenditures from visitors to the city. It would be interesting to know if hotel bookings were up.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
That $4.5 million impact was just a guestimate (from who?) when 40,000 were expected to attend and works out to $113 each. It's not really an 'impact' unless it's expenditures from visitors to the city. It would be interesting to know if hotel bookings were up.
With the stage and setup the upper limit to attendance was 35,000.

I don't think the impact was taking ticket sales into consideration. If so, the event completely sold out the 3,000 floor seats that were $300. That is $960,000. That does not take the other 11,000 tickets sold. I am pretty sure ticket sales went to the promoter.

I am not so much of a cynic that I have to instantly dispute any figure the City or the promoters release however. HBO literally brought their entire boxing production department to El Paso. Trainers. Staff. Media.

Thumbs up to the City for fighting for this event.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,454 times
Even Joe Muench saw this as a positive thing for the city. Haters are going to hate no matter what, they'll find negatives in everything, even when we win they find something to cry about.

Joe Muench: So how did we turn $500,000 into $4.5 million? - El Paso Times

Old 06-26-2012, 06:16 PM

404 posts, read 860,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuco View Post
Even Joe Muench saw this as a positive thing for the city. Haters are going to hate no matter what, they'll find negatives in everything, even when we win they find something to cry about.

Joe Muench: So how did we turn $500,000 into $4.5 million? - El Paso Times
The city made out good on this fight even though the attendance was not what was expected, thanks to the u t chancellor francisco cigarroa, I bet he wanted this fight to take place in Austin or San Antonio, so he bared UTEP from beer sales.
I myself was under the impression that the fight was going to be on PPV, I had just had U Verse installed and I was told that I had three free months of HBO.
That was not the case when I called U Verse, I was not even receiving HBO yet, but later that night the fight was on, considering that a family member had been giving eight tickets to the fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso