Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I remember when my grandparents were alive they had an ''Oasis'' at their home. They had HUGE shade trees in the front and back yards. They had a large garden and all kinds of Flowers and Plants and even a small Fish Pond with Gold Fish in it.

I always saw Praying Mantis on the trees and Bees and Humming birds etc...as it was alive there. Again just like an Oasis as these things stick out in the desert. And when it rains in the spring and summer you smell that desert rain smell thats really awesome. Just like the Creosote bushes in the desert that always smell like fresh rain.

So if i ever relocate to EP and bought a home it would truely be an Oasis of my own creation.
Gosh! it feels like you were my next door neighbor there 6 FOOT 3 everything you described here sounds like my old home including a pond I built on our vacant lot next door, only my fish were from the Franklin Canal, and those praying mantis, I use to keep about twenty jars of them in my bed room, it was fun feeding them and watching them eat other bugs, and that jungle my mother created in our backyard and both yards on sides of our house , it was a birds paradise, my cats loved it, we had palm trees in our front yard with a big driveway and basketball court, even my basketballs were courtesy of the UTEP Miners,some of them knew my dad since he worked at UTEP.

And that desert scent after the summer rains, feels like it gives you a new set of lungs just breathing that good stuff, life was just to good to be true in those old El Paso days.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,716,815 times
Default Thanks LEVOW and HIGH!

Thanks LEVOW and HIGH! to you both for the kind words and the encouragement! Very kind of you both!

I have no idea how much competition I am facing for this position, what my status for it is, what my chances are, etc. I just know I have advanced through "round 2" of the process and am cautiously optimistic. However, I am trying to not get my hopes too high, as I realize that this position wouldn't just be great because of a relo to EP, but also because it would be just an absolutely tremendous career opportunity for me.

If this one doesn't work out, then I continue on the path of working at possibilities professionally in either Albuquerque or El Paso, or, my personally least favorite option, staying up here in WI. However, if this one DOES work out and is offered...El Paso, here I come!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,622,556 times
Good luck to you, EnjoyEP!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks peggy...I am getting a bit pessimistic at my odds, but I guess we'll see. If it worked out, it would be incredible. If not, I realize life, she just keeps going on!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post

-Not having to break out my snow shovel anymore
That sir, is priceless. After living in chicago for a while, I learned to love/hate the snow.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
Gosh! it feels like you were my next door neighbor there 6 FOOT 3 everything you described here sounds like my old home including a pond I built on our vacant lot next door, only my fish were from the Franklin Canal, and those praying mantis, I use to keep about twenty jars of them in my bed room, it was fun feeding them and watching them eat other bugs, and that jungle my mother created in our backyard and both yards on sides of our house , it was a birds paradise, my cats loved it, we had palm trees in our front yard with a big driveway and basketball court, even my basketballs were courtesy of the UTEP Miners,some of them knew my dad since he worked at UTEP.

And that desert scent after the summer rains, feels like it gives you a new set of lungs just breathing that good stuff, life was just to good to be true in those old El Paso days.

Hey did you live in NorthEast....lol.....

Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes View Post
That sir, is priceless. After living in chicago for a while, I learned to love/hate the snow.
Holmes - Do you still know people in Chicago that you communicate with? Or have you kept up with Chi-Town? You would've looooovvvveed living here this winter...this winter has been one of the worst in this area of the past century, already near 80 inches of snow (yes 8-0) and periods of extreme sub-10 degree cold. It started in November, and it hasn't let up since. Tonight when you are basking in the late afternoon W.TX sun, I will be getting ready for the 2-to-4 inches of snow predicted for MKE tonight. Ugh.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:30 PM

421 posts, read 2,156,842 times
Yep, my wife's from there and still has family there. I have some extended family there too. I've heard this winter has been pretty ugly. I remember when I first moved there we had the great blizzard of '01 (I think). We was trapped. Took the whole day to shovel the driveway. My car was barely recognizable as you could only see the roof. Hehe good times..

Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Hey did you live in NorthEast....lol.....
Did I live in the Northeast? are you kidding me, no but I do remember taking that long bumpy ride to NE when it was mostly desert, I had an aunt that lived in Sun Valley, Hey my parents use to know this really cool bbq place on Dyer back in the sixties and we use to make the long drive there just to get bbq, you might not have been born yet but there was a time if you wanted someting you had to take a long drive to go get it.

Example there was only one place to get good pizza in El Paso, Shakeys Pizza on Montana, comprendes?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
Did I live in the Northeast? are you kidding me, no but I do remember taking that long bumpy ride to NE when it was mostly desert, I had an aunt that lived in Sun Valley, Hey my parents use to know this really cool bbq place on Dyer back in the sixties and we use to make the long drive there just to get bbq, you might not have been born yet but there was a time if you wanted someting you had to take a long drive to go get it.

Example there was only one place to get good pizza in El Paso, Shakeys Pizza on Montana, comprendes?
Talking about the way EP looked way back....i remember back in elementary school in the 70's when we went to our friends home on Yarbrough there was nothing east of it as thats where EP ended and it was nothing but desert.

And now it's almost touching Horizon City......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso