Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,563,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Okay - suppose you hire a contractor (we'll call him Contractor A) for some roofing or something. The contractor comes by, bills you, does a terrible job, and your roof is in shambles.

So along comes another contractor (we'll call him Contractor B), saying that "Yes, we can" fix it. You fire the old contractor, he looks at the horrible work the Contractor A did, charges a bunch of money, then looks at the roof. He fixes a little of it, but also spends most of his time complaining about how bad of a job Contractor A did and how he can't really do anything. The roof is still in shambles.

So Contractor C comes begging for your business. Contractor C is best friends with Contractor A, and hates Contractor B. He says "look at how terrible of a job Contractor B has done," and that you should hire him instead. The problem is that while it is true that Contractor B might have done a poor job, there is no evidence to suggest that Contractor C would do better, and that a comparable guy (Contractor A) also did a poor job.

So in other words, it depends on what you believe.
Actually a more accurate way of stating it is simply...

Contractor A pours gas all over your house.

Contractor B brings a flamethrower and a big smile to your house.

Contractor C doesn't look much different but he or she sure as hell ain't contractors A or B so C wins by default. (Who knows?..[the thinking will go]... maybe contractor C has a hospital bed and a burn ward for me to stay in while my family looks for another house for me to live in as I recover from the fire)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:50 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,286,312 times
A lot of people don't like Obama, including me, but the alternative is 100x worse.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM

232 posts, read 221,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
A lot of people don't like Obama, including me, but the alternative is 100x worse.
Who would be your ideal alternative?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,286,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
Bernie Sanders

Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,563,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Bernie Sanders
Interesting.

What is Bernie Sander's ideas for eliminating our debt and deficit?

How would he fight terrorism and radical Islam?

How would he convince Fortune 500 companies to come back to America?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,382,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Actually a more accurate way of stating it is simply...

Contractor A pours gas all over your house.

Contractor B brings a flamethrower and a big smile to your house.

Contractor C doesn't look much different but he or she sure as hell ain't contractors A or B so C wins by default. (Who knows?..[the thinking will go]... maybe contractor C has a hospital bed and a burn ward for me to stay in while my family looks for another house for me to live in as I recover from the fire)
Most people will get that "Contractor C is best friends with Contractor A." Same old, same old "trickle down is good, billionaires create jobs vs. spending money on themselves so they can't contribute the same PERCENTAGE of their total income as everyone else" claptrap. Where are the jobs promised to us by the Republicans who won the House in 2010?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM

865 posts, read 625,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Okay - suppose you hire a contractor (we'll call him Contractor A) for some roofing or something. The contractor comes by, bills you, does a terrible job, and your roof is in shambles.

So along comes another contractor (we'll call him Contractor B), saying that "Yes, we can" fix it. You fire the old contractor, he looks at the horrible work the Contractor A did, charges a bunch of money, then looks at the roof. He fixes a little of it, but also spends most of his time complaining about how bad of a job Contractor A did and how he can't really do anything. The roof is still in shambles.

So Contractor C comes begging for your business. Contractor C is best friends with Contractor A, and hates Contractor B. He says "look at how terrible of a job Contractor B has done," and that you should hire him instead. The problem is that while it is true that Contractor B might have done a poor job, there is no evidence to suggest that Contractor C would do better, and that a comparable guy (Contractor A) also did a poor job.

So in other words, it depends on what you believe.
Interesting analogy. Only problem is, it assumes Contractor A is much different than Contractor B. It would be better to say that after Contractor A got fired, Contractor charged 4x more and did 4x worse of a job.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM

37,567 posts, read 19,444,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
Morris Dees.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,296,158 times
He won't win, the economy is slipping further into despair and it is caused by his poor economic policies-- and the bailout he helped pass. Obama just doesn't understand businesses, he assumes he can pick and choose winners and losers...

He is a real idiot.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM

865 posts, read 625,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Most people will get that "Contractor C is best friends with Contractor A." Same old, same old "trickle down is good, billionaires create jobs vs. spending money on themselves so they can't contribute the same PERCENTAGE of their total income as everyone else" claptrap. Where are the jobs promised to us by the Republicans who won the House in 2010?
You don't have to look hard to find posts about all the jobs that are being created, but of course credit goes to Barry. All the Republicans can hope to do now is stop the hemorrhaging.

Republicans control 1/2 of 1/3 of our government...not what the Democrats had for 2 years when they were spending my grandchildren's money (majority in the house, super-majority in the senate and the white house). It tickles me every time I hear that...it's not a legit comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections