Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 05:00 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Actually I don't find FEMA camps or chem trails hilarious, but hey, each to his own.
They aren't hilarious because they don't exist. The people who believe in them are, however, hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Didn't say that, but nice straw man.

Hey IronMaw! I'm over here! The one laughing at your fear of FEMA camps that don't exist.

Laugh it up fuzzball ...

And please, stay over there ... and down wind ... Thank you very much.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
They aren't hilarious because they don't exist. The people who believe in them are, however, hilarious.
Whatever, "floats your boat". Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
You're welcome, and keep the entertainment coming.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
There are plenty of liberals who are upset with President Obama as well, although for reasons different from your own. It's impossible to please everyone...no president has ever managed that.
My responses are in red

Quote:
The problem is that many people (myself included) don't see quite a few of those things as actual accomplishments.

For example:

No. 16: Increase minority access to capital - Capital should flow freely to those who can utilize it most efficiently, not be given haphazardly to people based on their skin color, religion, sex or any other attribute...none of these factor into being able to utilize and create wealth/value with the capital. The government picking winners is a bad thing, remember Solyndra?

So all minority entrepreneurs should be denied the opportunity to provide goods or services because of Solyandra? That's throwing out the baby with the bath water. - Not at all what I said. Nobody should get special treatment, period. Money is like water, it will go where there are gaps and fill them, it doesnt need someone to pick and choose where it should go. Creating a "special class" can only be done by minimizing other groups, and it is being done based on characteristics that have no impact on the ability to put the capital to good use, it is arbitrary at best.

No. 93: Reinstate executive order to hire an additional 100,000 federal employees with disabilities within five years. - Hire based on skills and competencies, not on random physical attributes, regardless of how happy and cheerful it sounds. And does the Federal Government REALLY need more employees or LESS?

"Happy and cheerful?" Perhaps "based on ability in spite of handicaps" would be more accurate. And those are 100,000 paying back into the system, instead of wasting away because no one will hire them. - I'm not even sure what "paying back into the system" has to do with anything when many government workers make far more money than their private sector counterparts, and many of these jobs are not creating value, and are instead a big expense when benefits are factored in.

No. 458: Invest in all types of alternative energy - Again, Solyndra? Last time I checked the US Government was not Bain Capital...well not yet anyway. - Solyandra again? Have you no complaints about Halliburton or Blackwater?
No matter...alternative means of energy only hastens the day that we're independent from the Middle East and the unpleasant consequences that entails.
- I can complain about Blackwater and Haliburton all day long if you wish, I'd just need to do it in a thread that was about GWB and this aint it...its a great example of how people want to counter with "well the other guy did it too" as an excuse rather than just owning up and saying that it was a horrible idea. From 1st grade we are all told that two wrongs dont make a right...how quickly we forget. And I refuse to believe that blowing all kinds of money in hopes of MAYBE finding an alternative to carbon based fuel is a good thing....especially when it is the government picking an choosing winners. Again, capital is not being sent to the places where it will be most useful that way, and if you want to play the blame game on this one there is plenty of wrong that was done in terms of ethanol and corn subsidies.

No. 483: Invest in public transportation In a country where it is proven that it is often ineffective and under used, why do we continue to waste money on this?

People said the same about Eisenhower's Interstate Highway System. And we've hardly wasted trillions...or billions...on something that the Europeans have proven to work; you can essentially go from Paris to Moscow via EuroRail. Surely you aren't suggesting that Europeans have more ingenuity and common sense than Americans? And it would create jobs, from construction through maintenance and services. - Americans like cars, and because we have a vast highway system that connects dense cities to more rural areas, you aren't going to convince a bunch of people to suddenly get on buses and trains to share their commute and be at the whim of a fixed schedule that they run on. You are correct that I am not suggesting that Europeans have more ingenuity and common sense than Americans...I suggest that we have the same and you are just grouping and trying to create another "special class" here by implying that we are somehow better. Our countries are geographically different, as are our cultures, to compare the American commute and culture to that of any in Europe is not an apples to apples comparison so it is invalid. If the government can find a way to get AMTRAK to not be in the red and to provide a good service then we can talk about this, but that is one big money sucking venture at this point.

And just to be fair...I like this one, although I am not familiar with the method use to do so, or what the actual results were:

No. 247: Recruit math and science degree graduates to the teaching profession

Remember the program that allows retired military to go into teaching? That's one way...no doubt there are many ways to provide incentives
for those qualified to make such a move, if the simple desire to better our
students in that area isn't sufficient.
- Missed it, but that sounds like a reasonable plan.

Anyway, this might be a list of "wins" to some people but to others this is a list of "Wait, WHAT did they do??"

Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am almost touched by the passion and idealism expressed by the Paul supporters. There is something sweet about it.

On the other hand, it reminds of one of the beginning scenes in the movie "Gone With The Wind" where all the Southern Gentlemen were congratulating themselves how handily they could whip the Yankees in a matter of weeks or months.

From my point of view, Ron Paul does not enjoy the support of the majority of registered Republicans; and certainly not that of Democrats ... furthermore I do not think even most Independents would support him. His base seems to be a small minority of voters who label themselves "Libertarians."

Even if Paul won the GOP nomination, would he defeat Obama? Probably not.

If Paul was elected to the White House, would the House of Representatives and the Senate lie down and play dead and let Paul push all his program's through? Certainly not.
If nobody over age 30 was allowed to vote Ron Paul would win the nomination hands down as that demographic overwhelmingly votes for him in every state. Paul said today or yesterday jokingly in an interview that he wished that nobody over the age of 30 was allowed to vote because of this.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The problem is that many people (myself included) don't see quite a few of those things as actual accomplishments.

For example:

No. 16: Increase minority access to capital - Capital should flow freely to those who can utilize it most efficiently, not be given haphazardly to people based on their skin color, religion, sex or any other attribute...none of these factor into being able to utilize and create wealth/value with the capital. The government picking winners is a bad thing, remember Solyndra?

No. 93: Reinstate executive order to hire an additional 100,000 federal employees with disabilities within five years. - Hire based on skills and competencies, not on random physical attributes, regardless of how happy and cheerful it sounds. And does the Federal Government REALLY need more employees or LESS?

No. 458: Invest in all types of alternative energy - Again, Solyndra? Last time I checked the US Government was not Bain Capital...well not yet anyway.

No. 483: Invest in public transportation In a country where it is proven that it is often ineffective and under used, why do we continue to waste money on this?

And just to be fair...I like this one, although I am not familiar with the method use to do so, or what the actual results were:

No. 247: Recruit math and science degree graduates to the teaching profession

Anyway, this might be a list of "wins" to some people but to others this is a list of "Wait, WHAT did they do??"
Don't forget Obamacare! A closer look at that reveals to me what looks like our worst nightmare if that is ever implemented. Some of the items included in the public option are:limits on benefit pay outs of only $5k per person per year or $10k for a family; government access to everyone's bank account; end of life counseling and end of life ORDERS by the government to be carried out if the government decides so and much more. Look at this 10 min video. [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
[SIZE=4]http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=HcBaSP31Be8&vg=medium[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 03-03-2012, 01:24 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
You are, and I do still laugh. There are no FEMA camps, you can spend as much time watching Alex Jones youtube videos as you want, there just aren't any and your shrill hyper exaggeration about the impacts of all these other things you live in fear is just another symptom of you, not the system.

Run! hide! Fear! Tremble!
They won't be called FEMA camps, they will be called something like Emergency Relief Centers. After Katrina, did they not turn the stadium into a large camp, declare Marshall Law, and remove weapons from law abiding citizens?

Never let a crisis go to waste! Have a bag handy to take with you to the Relief Center where they will "help" you.
I just read about a new Smart Phone app, that you can call anonymously to snitch on anybody you don't like and the Feds will investigate them. In New Orleans, they are putting bright orange stickers on houses they have been to, as a result of a Crime Stoppers tip. Regardless whether anything came of it.
The gov't is conspiring against us - wake up. You are with us or with them. I know which side you are on, slack, but they will eat their own, so if you think you will be safe, you're a fool.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_ View Post
I honestly believe Ron Paul has NO chance winning under the Republican Party because he WON'T EVEN BE GIVEN THE CHANCE. The Republican Party is too far right when it comes to foreign policy, drugs and marriage. EVEN if I and others could look the other way of him being on the Republican Party, it wouldn't make a difference because it's a WASTED VOTE because he has no chance winning the nomination.

I with every inch of my body believe Ron Paul WOULD have a chance winning as an Independent because he would get the majority of Independent vote and would get the less insane part of the Republican Party and the liberty section of the Democratic Party.

Independents never stood a chance in the past because they didn't have the infrastructure. Ron Paul is different, he has a huge grassroots movement that's developed over numerous years. Even Fox News ignores Ron Paul, so it's not like he could get any less media attention than he already does.
I half agree with you.

It is obvious as to why he chose the Republican party to run for president in ---because the media only covers the two major parties. Without zillions of dollars like Ross Perot had, he couldn't start out campaigning and receive the amount of time and coverage he's had from the MSM unless he ran in one of the two major parties. Maybe with hindsight being 20/20 and history showing that Republicans have divorced themselves from the values they used to hold and so many people including former Republicans being disgusted with them, like yourself, he should have run as a Democrat. He didn't though.

Personally I think he still has tricks up his sleeve. He could switch to the Independent party if that would win him the election. I don't think that is out of the question yet. He hasn't ruled it out completely. If he doesn't do that, he has enough delegates and support that he WILL play a major role at the Republican convention.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:45 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
This is great!

Former CIA Agent's Message to America - WATCH NOW - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections