Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
All of liberalism is a ponzi scheme. Beg, borrow, steal, redistribute, rinse and repeat.
True Ponzi schemes, not the things inappropriately called such, are excellent examples of hyper-capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:12 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times
Quote:
no doubt. who the hell decided these 2 are the ones we have to choose from, media?, opinion(making) polls? herman cain would wipe obama's a$$ all over the floor in a debate. what about santorum? 5 of the 8 current candidates pass my ''conservative test'' yet im told 2 of the 3 that are closet statists are the only ''viable picks''(huntsman being the other).
It's not the media, it's the fact that if you think Cain or Santorum are presidential material, you are decidedly in the minority.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
no doubt. who the hell decided these 2 are the ones we have to choose from, media?, opinion(making) polls? herman cain would wipe obama's a$$ all over the floor in a debate. what about santorum? 5 of the 8 current candidates pass my ''conservative test'' yet im told 2 of the 3 that are closet statists are the only ''viable picks''(huntsman being the other).
I hope Herman Cain is still in the primary when it comes time for me to vote, I think he's got the best background, nothing questionable and isn't a panderer, he's got a CEO background, no foreign ties.

My next choice is between Santorum and Paul.

Anything is better than the poofy hair candidates they want to "hand us".

Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Cain might be "folksy" but he sure is more Presidential than Obama.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I jumped for joy when Perry announced. I thought "finally a candidate that will stop the lunatic fringe of the party from sinking us in November". I was glad. But the more Perry talks and the more the other candidates point things out about him, the more I am having second thoughts about whether this guy is really as great as I thought he was. His record looks great. 10 years experience as an executive of a state that has a robust growing economy and is doing pretty well. But then when he says things like calling Social Security a Ponzi scheme (I agree but that is not going to get him elected in November) and saying that Christianity is the religion that should guide the country (NOT in agreement), quite frankly the man is beginning to sound more like Bachman and less like somebody moderate enough to win a general election. And then Bachman brought out the vaccination mandate that Perry issued by executive fiat which resulted in some teenagers becoming mentally retarded, I am honestly turned off. I don't know how he can stand there and carp about Obamacare with a record like that. I am really swinging back to Romney at this point.
Interesting post. I'm on the left side of this forum, but if I put myself in an independent's shoes, I'd I don't trust Rick Perry--at all. There's something about him that really rubs me the wrong way, and I can't quite figure it out. Half the time he seems like he doesn't know what he's talking about, as if he's being fed talking points or just saying the latest tea party platitudes that he thinks the tea party wants to hear.

And what's with this Texas schtick? It's like he's putting on this cartoonish Texas caricature that he thinks appeals to the rest of the country, but he just looks like a buffoon when he does. He doesn't appear genuine. I have family from Texas. Texans are awesome people. You can tell they're Texan. They don't put on the cowboy act just for show. They just are who they are--cowboys or not. Perry is just playing the part of what everyone thinks is a Texan. It's weird and kinda pathetic. Does anyone else get that impression?

I disagree with Ron Paul on a LOT of things, but I can tell that he means what he's saying, and I respect that a lot about him. I can't say that about Rick Perry. Romney is the adult in the room--and possibly Ron Paul.

Last edited by mackinac81; 09-14-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
It's not the media, it's the fact that if you think Cain or Santorum are presidential material, you are decidedly in the minority.
It's the media. The media is making sure that two get all the covered and act like the primaries have already taken place and have narrowed down to those two choices.

Seriously -- why don't the better candidates get more media attention?

It's going to come down to cheap labor globalist candidate A or cheap labor globalist candidate B.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I jumped for joy when Perry announced. I thought "finally a candidate that will stop the lunatic fringe of the party from sinking us in November". I was glad. But the more Perry talks and the more the other candidates point things out about him, the more I am having second thoughts about whether this guy is really as great as I thought he was. His record looks great. 10 years experience as an executive of a state that has a robust growing economy and is doing pretty well. But then when he says things like calling Social Security a Ponzi scheme (I agree but that is not going to get him elected in November) and saying that Christianity is the religion that should guide the country (NOT in agreement), quite frankly the man is beginning to sound more like Bachman and less like somebody moderate enough to win a general election. And then Bachman brought out the vaccination mandate that Perry issued by executive fiat which resulted in some teenagers becoming mentally retarded, I am honestly turned off. I don't know how he can stand there and carp about Obamacare with a record like that. I am really swinging back to Romney at this point.

Perry is NOT a moderate in ANY way, shape or form, never has been.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Perry is NOT a moderate in ANY way, shape or form, never has been.
Oblama certainly is no moderate-he's more of an extremist than Perry, except on the left. Romney will be the centrist in the race should he win the nomination.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I hope Herman Cain is still in the primary when it comes time for me to vote, I think he's got the best background, nothing questionable and isn't a panderer, he's got a CEO background, no foreign ties.
I don't think Cain is bad, he does have useful business experience, which this country desperately needs. However, listening to him, I just don't find him inspiring, someone I really feel enthuastic about.

I still hope that Allen West decides to run. I've listened to a number of his speaches, this guy is flat out smart and on the ball. He knows history and has a better grasp of and ability to recite facts on the fly than any other candidate I've ever heard (with the possible exception of Paul). He also doesn't sugar coat controversial issues. He's one of the few I actually get enthusastic about when I listen to him, I actually think he could provide leadership.

He's further to the right on religious issues than I like, but I regard that as a secondary issue.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Oblama certainly is no moderate-he's more of an extremist than Perry, except on the left. Romney will be the centrist in the race should he win the nomination.
Obama and Romney don't differ much on policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections