Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Interesting post. I'm on the left side of this forum, but if I put myself in an independent's shoes, I'd I don't trust Rick Perry--at all. There's something about him that really rubs me the wrong way, and I can't quite figure it out. Half the time he seems like he doesn't know what he's talking about, as if he's being fed talking points or just saying the latest tea party platitudes that he thinks the tea party wants to hear.

And what's with this Texas schtick? It's like he's putting on this cartoonish Texas caricature that he thinks appeals to the rest of the country, but he just looks like a buffoon when he does. He doesn't appear genuine. I have family from Texas. Texans are awesome people. You can tell they're Texan. They don't put on the cowboy act just for show. They just are who they are--cowboys or not. Perry is just playing the part of what everyone thinks is a Texan. It's weird and kinda pathetic. Does anyone else get that impression?

I disagree with Ron Paul on a LOT of things, but I can tell that he means what he's saying, and I respect that a lot about him. I can't say that about Rick Perry. Romney is the adult in the room--and possibly Ron Paul.
I overheard something about Perry recently that was quite funny. "Since when do cotton planters wear cowboy boots?"

You're right about his phony cowboy affectation. It is obnoxious. I've also heard him being referred to as a snake oil salesman and I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Because beating Oblama is more important than ideological purity. And yes, if Ron Paul, Santorum or Gumby wins the GOP nomination I will probably vote for that person/cartoon to get rid of Oblama.

Although if by some miracle it is Paul, I would have a hard time voting for an isolationist who borders on anti-semitism.

Paul is a non-interventionist, not an isolationist.

Paul is NOT anti-semitic. He recognizes that US foreign policy has weakened Israel and placed them in a rather untenable position in regard to maintaining their sovereignty. He is afraid for Israel because the US is weak and broke when Israel may need her most!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Paul is a non-interventionist, not an isolationist.

Paul is NOT anti-semitic. He recognizes that US foreign policy has weakened Israel and placed them in a rather untenable position in regard to maintaining their sovereignty. He is afraid for Israel because the US is weak and broke when Israel may need her most!
Yeah....well, he should study the Holy Bible...and then he'd know Israel's sovereignty is in Almighty God's Hands. And also know....God helps and Blesses those nations who help Israel. Most all US presidents (nor candidates) never questioned that point...until (candidate) Ron Paul.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
You are correct, OP, Perry is not electable next November. He is of the same mold as the radical Bachmann, by and large, and of the field with a shot at being nominated, MR is the only one with more than a McGovern-like shot in 14 short months.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I jumped for joy when Perry announced. I thought "finally a candidate that will stop the lunatic fringe of the party from sinking us in November". I was glad. But the more Perry talks and the more the other candidates point things out about him, the more I am having second thoughts about whether this guy is really as great as I thought he was. His record looks great. 10 years experience as an executive of a state that has a robust growing economy and is doing pretty well. But then when he says things like calling Social Security a Ponzi scheme (I agree but that is not going to get him elected in November) and saying that Christianity is the religion that should guide the country (NOT in agreement), quite frankly the man is beginning to sound more like Bachman and less like somebody moderate enough to win a general election. And then Bachman brought out the vaccination mandate that Perry issued by executive fiat which resulted in some teenagers becoming mentally retarded, I am honestly turned off. I don't know how he can stand there and carp about Obamacare with a record like that. I am really swinging back to Romney at this point.

I have heard more than a few people this week, particularly after the debate that are reconsidering. My own father being one of them. I tried to tell him about Perry, but he just didn't realy get it until he heard it himself. I think for him it was his very weak and unapololgetic stand on illegal immigration. He hasn't decided who he supports yet, but he said it won't be Perry now.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Yeah....well, he should study the Holy Bible...and then he'd know Israel's sovereignty is in Almighty God's Hands. And also know....God helps and Blesses those nations who help Israel. Most all US presidents (nor candidates) never questioned that point...until (candidate) Ron Paul.

You are so right on this. So many don't seem to care anymore. I guess they don't read the Bible or weren't brought up to know the Word. In addition, Israel is our only ally in a part of the world we have to be able to deal with on some level. Actually, more than ever since this administration has killed oil production here.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 PM

The GOP is faced with a choice, a candidate the TP really likes who cannot win in Nov, 2012, or a candidate they do not like who can. Obama is no doubt delighted at the possibility of RP, who should have a middle initial of I in order to demonstrate his true chance next year.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
I look forward to the day when a 2,000 year old fairy tale doesn't have such an impact on our politics.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egamakaded idiut View Post
Romney is a donkey in an elephant suit.

He is actually more conservative than Perry, but for some reason Perry has a lot of people fooled.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 PM

The reality is swing states are dominated within GOP by moderates, not TP. 400 electoral votes are safely evenly split 200-200 in hard-core Red and Blue states, like Texas and California.

States like Colorado will decide the race. Not a TP hotbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections