Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 08:56 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Maddow? Please, he couldn't debunk anything..been caught lying too many times.
Irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:17 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:

Maddow? Please, he couldn't debunk anything..been caught lying too many times.
Why does this comment remind me of "the pot calling the kettle ..."?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:58 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This won't cost Obama any votes because these people wouldn't have voted for him in the first place. But birth control is pretty common among Catholics. We grew up very poor and being Catholic my mom was not on any birth control. So after 5 kids that my parents couldn't afford our priest begged her to take birth control. When you can't afford to take care of all your kids why keep having them. So she went on the pill after that talk with priest.
So the poll numbers in the OP are incorrect on a shift of religious voters

Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
CATHOLIC hospitals and schools. See, I know you agree with obama on just about everything, but HE doesn't get to dictate to religious entities......that happens to be in our founding documents, something obama and his supporters could care less about.

He just recently got smacked down by SCOTUS.....they will do the same here.
It's a simple equation really: if you want federal funds, you have to play by the feds' rules.
They are perfectly within their rights to 'take their balls and go home' and if they really wanted to stand up for those rights they would do so.
Unless/until they do, it is simply another example from the 'do as I say, not as I do' crowd that will perfectly illustrate which is more important at the end of the say - the money or the values.

And I do have to say that this Christian is perfectly fine with the ruling. As far as I'm concerned it is a perfect illustration of equal treatment for all and, particularly those most in need, and in case anyone is confused, that was one of the essential points of Christ's message.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Bravo, Rachel! The GOP war on women's health and reproductive rights is in full swing, and thinking women will push back, as happened with the recent PP vs SGK incident. The concept of a war against religion is just the new GOP talking point, as evidenced by the threads here echoing what the RW talking heads were saying in the film clip. When people are told that they can't go to church, then I'll believe that there's a "war on religion." Until then, I can only pity those naive enough to buy this garbage.
I agree completely and particularly with the bolded statement.
I've yet to find anyone outside my church blocking my the doors on Sunday morning or any other day that services are being held.

As was so clearly demonstrated last week, women care about women's issues. This crosses all party, religious and any other lines.
The divide and conquer strategy will not work when dealing with things as basic as self-determination.

Several posters have already noted that pragmatic priests endorse BC because it is the humane and rational thing to do. I expect that the corporate church may have misjudged their members just as badly as did SGK.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
What they aren't saying is that these are mainly medicare reimbursements that the federal government gives the catholic hospitals.

So they are funds explicitly given FOR medical benefits. And if you don't cover everything that medicare says you have to cover, such as emergency contraception, birth control, etc, then you shouldn't expect to get that money, or you should expect to have to comply.

BTW, for anyone thinking the church itself will have to comply, the Church gets a waiver, but their affiliates and other public companies, like hospitals and colleges, are not exempt.

Some cities don't have a wide variety of hospitals, and some only have catholic owned hospitals. Like many areas in the Mobile AL area. You can't expect someone going to nursing school to find a job at another type of hospital, or she'll have to move. Thats not exactly fair.

Look, as I have said in other threads, I don't want the federal government to have this power. But its been on the books for a long time, the ability to do this, and no one was bitching about it then.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It's a simple equation really: if you want federal funds, you have to play by the feds' rules.
They are perfectly within their rights to 'take their balls and go home' and if they really wanted to stand up for those rights they would do so.
Unless/until they do, it is simply another example from the 'do as I say, not as I do' crowd that will perfectly illustrate which is more important at the end of the say - the money or the values.

And I do have to say that this Christian is perfectly fine with the ruling. As far as I'm concerned it is a perfect illustration of equal treatment for all and, particularly those most in need, and in case anyone is confused, that was one of the essential points of Christ's message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I agree completely and particularly with the bolded statement.
I've yet to find anyone outside my church blocking my the doors on Sunday morning or any other day that services are being held.

As was so clearly demonstrated last week, women care about women's issues. This crosses all party, religious and any other lines.
The divide and conquer strategy will not work when dealing with things as basic as self-determination.

Several posters have already noted that pragmatic priests endorse BC because it is the humane and rational thing to do. I expect that the corporate church may have misjudged their members just as badly as did SGK.
Too soon to rep you. +2

Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What they aren't saying is that these are mainly medicare reimbursements that the federal government gives the catholic hospitals.

So they are funds explicitly given FOR medical benefits. And if you don't cover everything that medicare says you have to cover, such as emergency contraception, birth control, etc, then you shouldn't expect to get that money, or you should expect to have to comply.

BTW, for anyone thinking the church itself will have to comply, the Church gets a waiver, but their affiliates and other public companies, like hospitals and colleges, are not exempt.

Some cities don't have a wide variety of hospitals, and some only have catholic owned hospitals. Like many areas in the Mobile AL area. You can't expect someone going to nursing school to find a job at another type of hospital, or she'll have to move. Thats not exactly fair.

Look, as I have said in other threads, I don't want the federal government to have this power. But its been on the books for a long time, the ability to do this, and no one was bitching about it then.
Same for you. +1

Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:

I am still unhappy that my posted thread about the attack on the Catholics was thrown in with this one but will try one more time to discuss what needed to be done from the beginning in my thread.

I proposed that people read the opinion piece by Michelle Malkin about the obvious attack on Catholics that Sebelius brought on by mandate by Obama as I wanted to get some discussion started about how Bishop Thomas Olmsted, a onetime student of mine, has taken on those who don't think that Catholics have any rights concerning abortion and contraception.

Oh well, here is a link to an old story (December 2010) about the "leaking" of Olmsted's letter to the man who runs the Catholic hospitals in the southwestern part of the US. Read it and then think about what was done recently by HHS at Obama's behest. Olmsted refused to allow politicians to push him around and did, in fact, take away a number of things from that hospital in Phoenix and up to now has been supported by those in the Catholic hierarchy clear up to Rome. Anyway his letter to Dean is very informative and does say why he thought he had to take away the Catholic designation from that one hospital.

If you bother to read the letter please read the first comment that follows it on this link. Very informative.

Bishop Threatens Smackdown on Catholic Abortion Hospital | Blogs | NCRegister.com

Old 02-06-2012, 01:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:

I forgot to say that your mention of medicare was totally wrong in that few women on Medicare need any of those contraceptive and abortive services of hospitals. Maybe you were referring to Medicaid, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections