Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paul vs Obama
Ron Paul 88 65.67%
Barack Obama 46 34.33%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:56 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Interest rates need to come up, in order to take away the incentive of making bad investments. When you people talk about how stable the fiat system we have now is, you are not considering the reality of hyper inflation. When you print money there is no argument that it devalues the spending power of the dollar, and in the end commodity prices will go up, and all the price control in the world isn't going to stop it, in fact it will only make things worse, because that is how bubbles are formed.
Interest rates may, or may not need to go up, but what I am talking about is 15-20% interest rates we saw in Britain under the gold standard. With a gold standard keeping interest rates under control is not possible since your money supply is so restricted the cost of borrowing will go through the roof in any number of scenarios including deflation, which is a disaster, that is what always happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,767,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Interest rates may, or may not need to go up, but what I am talking about is 15-20% interest rates we saw in Britain under the gold standard. With a gold standard keeping interest rates under control is not possible since your money supply is so restricted the cost of borrowing will go through the roof in any number of scenarios including deflation, which is a disaster, is what always happens.

There is a currency war going on ... the way to control interest rates is to cut spending ... live within our means, pay as we go. The Fed Government takes entirely too much on itself and expects to be able to just magically be able to pay for it all. It isn't working ... If you continue, the dollar will collapse, and then they will want to force a global currency on us, and then we wont have any say in how our monetary system works anymore. Don't you understand that our nations sovereignty is intrinsically linked to our monetary policies?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
There is a currency war going on ... the way to control interest rates is to cut spending ... live within our means, pay as we go. The Fed Government takes entirely too much on itself and expects to be able to just magically be able to pay for it all. It isn't working ... If you continue, the dollar will collapse, and then they will want to force a global currency on us, and we wont have any say in how our monetary system works anymore.
I agree we need to control spending. That is different from having a gold standard.

Basically with a gold standard you get a situation where the money supply is constrained in such a way where you eventually get deflation with high interest rates and that is a recipe for disaster. Basically what that means is that it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to pay off loans because you are being hit with massive interest and your debt is getting bigger and bigger every day due to deflation. As a result no one is willing to spend or borrow any money, but instead everyone is hoarding money to the point where the economy collapses because there is so little economic activity, ala the 1930s.

That is why the gold standard was abandoned and why it remains a terrible idea.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 02-12-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 PM

840 posts, read 781,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
My reasons are the same as the other voters (who are the majority btw, rather you want to believe or not) who have rejected your candidate.

I know it's a conspiracy, your candidate isn't winning so there must be voter fraud.
Conspiracy no. There was voter fraud in Maine but that's beyond my point. So the problem with his foreign policy is he refuses to an israel firster...well if that's his flaw I am very proud to be a fan of his. Israel can do just fine by themselves.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Quite honestly, while I"m not fond of Paul's economics or foriegn policy, I do believe he'd get stuff done.
What on earth leads you to believe this? He has accomplished nothing in Congress, despite being there 76-77, 79-85, and 97-Present.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Let's see....the choice is between the president who ended the Iraq war, nabbed Bin Laden, and who is cleaning up the GOP mess he inherited...and the other is a loony nutjob congressman from Texas whose only claim to fame is writing racist, anti-Semetic, homophobic newsletters and who thinks Jews caused 911.

The choice is a no brainer. Barack Obama.
Wow. Talk about not educating one's self on the issues....this has got to be the dumbest post all day.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Normally I would not reply to new members in this section. As I have reason to believe some of you newer members are being directed here to spam for your god, or you are a duplicate account.

I actually prefer Romney, Or Santorum.

If not voting in the election was a option I would have chosen that.

what true conservative would vote for obama over ron paul?

it reminds me of when newt said that he would vote for obama over ron paul-which shows exactly how much of a conservative newt actually is.

there have been plenty of columns/posts/remarks since then pointing out exactly how newt IS NOT a conservative-which also explains why newt is dropping so dramatically in the polls.

you can only fool some of the people some of the time.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
If Ron Paul was ever on the GOP ticket--either as the top or in the VP slot--you will see Jewish Americans vote in record numbers for the Democratic ticket. Historically, Jewish Americans usually vote about 70% for Dem presidential candidates, but with a Paultard on the the GOP side you will see that number skyrocket to the upper 80s, low 90s.

Guaranteed.
Jews for Ron Paul - Political Organization - Springfield, Virginia | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/JewsForRonPaul - broken link)

I am sure quite a few more than this like RP. Freedom and Liberty are not limited to 1 race.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,767,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree we need to control spending. That is different from having a gold standard.

Basically with a gold standard you get a situation where the money supply is constrained in such a way where you eventually get deflation, with high interest rates and that is a recipe for disaster. Basically what that means is that it becomes very difficult if not impossible to pay off loans because you are being hit with massive interest and your debt is getting bigger and bigger every day due to deflation. As a result no one is willing to spend or borrow any money, but instead everyone is hoarding money to the point where the economy collapses, because there is so little economic activity ala the 1930s.

That is why the gold standard was abandoned and why it remains a terrible idea.

The crisis in the 1930's came about because of fraud ... Because of false and erroneous investing rumors that caused a panic that wasn't necessary. But the fact is if your money isn't tied to something that holds its value then politicians will always resort to printing money.

Deflation is unavoidable if we are to liquidate the debt and clean out the malinvestments. But if we cut government spending dramatically at the same time we bring a new competing currency attached to Gold or some other commodity of consistent value, lower taxes and eventually get rid of the income tax altogether and the institution associated with it - increase tariffs and stop giving incentives to corporations for taking their industry into other countries, we would be much better off in the loing run. We need real wealth in this nation, not more debt or deficit spending or a monetary system that leaves the door open to such things.

Things would be hard for a while, but in a the crisis would be over much sooner ...

Ron Paul's Nevada Caucus Speech: Markets Are More Powerful than Governments! - YouTube

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 02-12-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 03:39 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,923,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Jews for Ron Paul - Political Organization - Springfield, Virginia | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/JewsForRonPaul - broken link)

I am sure quite a few more than this like RP. Freedom and Liberty are not limited to 1 race.
in another odd caucus development (in las vegas) - in a series of them so far- people had to sign a special religious waiver to vote at night:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/us...las-vegas.html

ron paul still won that one.

support for freedom crosses religious and party lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections