Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Watch out for your social security and Medicare if this happens and Romney actually gets elected.
could you explain how you would solve the SSand Medicare problems without serious changes? Do you think the government can just keep printing money? Without some serious re-structuring there will be no Ss in 40 years or less.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That would be awesome. I would love to have an election about repealing Medicare. Every single time the GOP has ran on the Ryan budget they lost. NY 26 and AZ 8.
for heavens sake, where do you get the idea anyone wants to repealing medicare, there is a difference between revamp and repealing....? the days of give aways has to end. I don't know about your grandparents or even your parents, but I would bet they didn't expect to try and live their senior years off the government. I know my family didn't and my husband I are not. I do know if we could have put some of our SS money into private investments our monthly check would have been a heck of a lot larger.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
for heavens sake, where do you get the idea anyone wants to repealing medicare, there is a difference between revamp and repealing....? the days of give aways has to end. I don't know about your grandparents or even your parents, but I would bet they didn't expect to try and live their senior years off the government. I know my family didn't and my husband I are not. I do know if we could have put some of our SS money into private investments our monthly check would have been a heck of a lot larger.
See post #17 it is effectively a repeal. Republicans just call it a revamp or changes because that sounds nicer.

None of my grandparents did, they were/are all fairly wealthy, but SS and Medicare have benefited seniors generally on that there is no question. As to the investment thing. You may have gotten a bigger check you may have gotten nothing. It would have depended on the market and your investment strategy. If you had to pull out of the market in 2009 you would probably have been screwed.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Thanks for the link. I agree some loopholes need to be closed, but I don't agree with eliminating the SS cap unless we also eliminate the cap on benefits.

For the record, I am much less inclined to support privatization of Medicare than privatization of SS.

I don't consider having separate capital gains taxes and capital gains not being subject to FICA taxes to be a "loophole." But, it seems you at least (may) agree with me.
I don't consider it a loophole either in most cases. I do consider it a loophole however when people are able to buy stock from their companies at book value or otherwise below fair market value, because of an incentive package and have that taxed at favorable capital gains rates in disposition when it is clearly a type of compensation. I also feel the same way about carried interest.

With other capital gains as I said it is tricky, and I think you need to sort out capital gains from dividends and I think the buffet rule is genius because it has only a limited to no impact on people who earn their money and really only makes the capital gains tax structure fair. There is also no logical reason dividends should be given preferential tax treatment.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-24-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 03:33 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,536,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Watch out for your social security and Medicare if this happens and Romney actually gets elected.
I hope that if this tragedy happens that on day one all entitlements stop. The stupid head up their aZZ deserve it. Plus my check will actually go up. I will be free to finally enjoy life as all Dems should. Just let go. If the poor are that happy let them feel it.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
They pay a far higher percentage of the taxes in the US than anyone else.
In terms of rates the uber-wealthy make out like bandits. Mitt Romney pays a lower effective federal tax rate on his income then the vast majority of people who have jobs. Were it not for the earned income tax credit he would pay a lower effective rate then a McDonalds worker who has to shell out 15.3% in FICA. That is again why the buffet rule is key. If you are working an earning 1,000,000 + a year you are already paying the requisite rate and then some. It is only if you are racking up millions of realized capital gains and dividends that you will have to pay it.

The people who get nailed are the people who are reasonably wealthy, but not extremely so and the upper middle class. What is funny is that so few people actually understand taxes that both the left and the right want to perpetually stick this group of income earners with the bill.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 06-24-2012 at 03:47 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 03:41 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,683,872 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone ever suggested having any "death panels" and I am anything but an Obama supporter. I believe it's a fear tactic that's just as bad as the allegations by the Democrats that Republicans' plans will "push seniors off a cliff."

If you don't think anybody said anything about death panels, you need to pay closer attention.

Here ya go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepe...Advisory_Board

Old 06-24-2012, 03:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,683,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I hope that if this tragedy happens that on day one all entitlements stop. The stupid head up their aZZ deserve it. Plus my check will actually go up. I will be free to finally enjoy life as all Dems should. Just let go. If the poor are that happy let them feel it.
You are showing how little you know about 'entitlements'.

Let me help: Medicare is NOT free. The premiums are deducted from social security checks.

You have been extremely misinformed if you think RETIREMENT social security and Medicare are entitlements.

As far as true entitlements such as Disability and Medicaid, I, too, hope they stop. Bam! Done!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You are showing how little you know about 'entitlements'.

Let me help: Medicare is NOT free. The premiums are deducted from social security checks.

You have been extremely misinformed if you think RETIREMENT social security and Medicare are entitlements.

As far as true entitlements such as Disability and Medicaid, I, too, hope they stop. Bam! Done!
Without medicaid how do you propose solving the issue of long term care? Bear in mind LTC insurance is expensive and has a time limit.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,464,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I hope they pick him... 'cuz then you'll start seeing the "senior vote" abandoning Romney in droves (including 76 year old Ron Paul, who doesn't wanna lose his Social Security... LOL)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections