Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,076,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I really, really wish that some Conservatives could wrap their heads around the fact the the Republican Party of 1860 is not the Republican Party of today.
they won't. They will continue to say the same thing over and over. That's there standard line they use to try to court blacks, or atleast prove they aren't hostile to blacks. They freed slaves and voted for the Civil Rights Act. That's their go to line every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 03:07 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,720,252 times
That is NOT the Republican Party and has everything to do with them being SOUTHERN STATES.

Show me a NORTHERN State where anyone's done that?

Plus, this is about the FOUNDING FATHERS having slaves and not about the abolishment of slavery issue.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I really, really wish that some Conservatives could wrap their heads around the fact the the Republican Party of 1860 is not the Republican Party of today.
Neither are the Democrats. But, they didn't switch places as some posters allude to.
Nor are they the Republican party of the 1960's that passed the Civil Rights Bill. Then again, neither are the Democrats.

Both parties have moved so far to the extreme that they are sometimes FOR the same issue only for different reasons.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The Republicans of 1860 are NOT the Democrats today..wishful thinking.
it was founded in 1854. The elephant was adopted in 1874.

Republican Party National Platform, 1860
I know you are trying to argue on the technical words we're using. The simple fact is, the republican party of yesterday is not the same as today. Quit trying to find the exact years. Your argument is still BS.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,005,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Much way more recent that 150 years ago......

In the 1960's it was Democrats that tried to stop Blacks from attending schools.

In the 1960's it was a Republican named Nixon who passed the most Civil Rights laws.

It was only a few years ago that Robert Byrd, Democrat of West Virginia, and a card carrying member of the KKK, died while still serving in Congress.
You mentioned Lincoln, that was 150 years ago. There's no doubt that the "solid south" was a morass of prejudice. The Democratic party was the benefactor of white southerners who shared none of the party values but voted Democratic to maintain white supremacy through Jim Crow policies in the south. It started changing with Harry Truman and collapsed after MLK and Lyndon Johnson. The south abandoned the Dems who betrayed them, and aligned themselves with conservatives who shared their view on taxes and National security. Not Pretty for either party.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
That is NOT the Republican Party and has everything to do with them being SOUTHERN STATES.

Show me a NORTHERN State where anyone's done that?

Plus, this is about the FOUNDING FATHERS having slaves and not about the abolishment of slavery issue.
They fall under the republican umbrella. I don't see any tea party people running on the democratic ticket.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
That's there standard line they use to try to court blacks, or atleast prove they aren't hostile to blacks. They freed slaves and voted for the Civil Rights Act. That's their go to line every time.

And since the Democrat were the people who OPPOSED those things, you in your weird and bizarre world you think that makes them friendly to Blacks?

I can't even IMAGINE how you come to that conclusion???

Black unemployment is worse under Obama than under any White President.

The fact is that the most recent Black woman (that's two minority groups) to hold the highest level of office in the nation was appointed by a Republican (Condi Rice - Dept of State).

Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM

So then the bottom line here is that Liberals see nothing racist in buttons that say "Once You Vote Black You Never Go Back".......even though the entire button is as racist as you can possibly get.

Therefore, if Republicans handed out buttons that said "Vote Right - Vote White", not a one of you Liberals would claim it was a racist button.

OK,.......I think I got you now Libs. You're all the worst kind of hypocrites!!!!!

Now I KNOW why I'd NEVER vote for a Democrat.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
And since the Democrat were the people who OPPOSED those things, you in your weird and bizarre world you think that makes them friendly to Blacks?

I can't even IMAGINE how you come to that conclusion???

Black unemployment is worse under Obama than under any White President.

The fact is that the most recent Black woman (that's two minority groups) to hold the highest level of office in the nation was appointed by a Republican (Condi Rice - Dept of State).
I forgot the other go to line of republicans, they appointed condi to the highest level of office. So in summary:

1. Republicans freed the slaves
2. Voted for the CRA
3. Appointed Condi to Sec. of State.

Congrats.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
So then the bottom line here is that Liberals see nothing racist in buttons that say "Once You Vote Black You Never Go Back".......even though the entire button is as racist as you can possibly get.

Therefore, if Republicans handed out buttons that said "Vote Right - Vote White", not a one of you Liberals would claim it was a racist button.

OK,.......I think I got you now Libs. You're all the worst kind of hypocrites!!!!!

Now I KNOW why I'd NEVER vote for a Democrat.
I really don't think anything we said would have convinced you to vote democrat anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections