Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Romney on the other hand essentially called 47 percent of the country irredeemable and unreachable losers.
While Romney didn't say that, I'm wondering... instead of getting all bent out of shape for being called out as non-contributors, why don't the 47% just contribute their fair share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
That was on every major news outlet for quite some time. While it was a bit of a gaffe, it was not nearly as bad as Romney's recent clip. All Obama said was that out of long years of manufacturing decline and frustration and government claims to revitalize their towns, white working class folks had become cynical about government. Some even "clung to their guns and religion" because of this cynicism toward government.

The key different, Obama wanted to find a way to persuade those voters that there was the possibility of improvement in those areas. That government, coupled with private investment and resident sweat equity, could turn these forgotten places around.

Romney on the other hand essentially called 47 percent of the country irredeemable and unreachable losers.

Romney’s “47 percent” vs. Obama’s “cling to guns or religion”: Which gaffe is worse? - Slate Magazine
HMPPTTT double standard you have between Obama and Romney. Obama wants to help them and Romney doesn't. Well it's been proven Obama can't help, now it's Romney's turn. it's been proven he can create jobs.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why don't they contribute to the cost of our federal government? They receive government services and benefits, don't they? Can Obama make them take responsibility and contribute their fair share?

If so, why hasn't he yet?
Well, they do contribute to the cost of federal government as everyone who works pays federal payroll tax, which finances the bulk of mandatory spending on medicare, medicaid and social security. And they contribute more of their salaries to this than do the wealthy because of the cap on payroll taxes on earned income above $112,000. So, your premise is off.

Secondly, the Earned Income Tax Credit, which many of these people take advantage of, increases the incentive for people to work because it reduces the tax burden on low-income workers, allowing them to take "responsibility" and "care" for their lives and contribute to their communities and the national economy.

You have a faulty premise, and faulty questions.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Let me submit to you that I think you will be pretty surprised if Romney wins. I say that because I believe you will be shock at how loose money becomes among business people with him in and Obama out. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I am not.

So you talked to a few people who saw how you felt about the election and ,like most, went along with you. You must be a pollster.
You obviously have reading comprehension problems. I'm not a pollster. I'm a community volunteer to get people to register to vote, donate, etc. I've talked to independents, republicans, and democrats. All of the democrats I spoke to are voting for Obama, even though they might be disatisfied with him. All of the republicans I spoke to, besides TWO(and I spoke to many over the last week) are voting for Romney even though they are not happy with him. The independents I spoke to are leaning toward Obama based on Romney's horrible campaign, but are still open/considering Romney depending on how the rest of his campaign goes thus they are mostly undecided, with a few heavily leaning toward Obama until they see better from Romney. I'm a democrat so the only people I truly identified with are democrats. But if all ^ of that means everyone went along with me, then okay.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Well, they do contribute to the cost of federal government as everyone who works pays federal payroll tax, which finances the bulk of mandatory spending on medicare, medicaid and social security. And they contribute more of their salaries to this than do the wealthy because of the cap on payroll taxes on earned income above $112,000.
The Social Security tax is capped, but so are the benefits. AND higher income earners get back LESS than they paid into the system.
Social Security not deal it once was for workers - Yahoo! News

There is no cap on the tax for Medicare. So, again, higher income earners pay more into that than anyone else for the same benefits.

Quote:
Secondly, the Earned Income Tax Credit, which many of these people take advantage of, increases the incentive for people to work because it reduces the tax burden on low-income workers, allowing them to take "responsibility" and "care" for their lives and contribute to their communities and the national economy.
They also need to contribute to the cost of our federal government. They receive federal government services and benefits. End the EITC. Everyone needs to pay their fair share. The burden is currently inequitably and unfairly placed on the 49% who actually do pay federal income tax.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have to say two things about your post. First, political correctness came about from the progressive movement and I don't think much about it and too many of the rest of us don't care for PC.

The other would be that you failed to read much of the link since you didn't seem to know about these words right out of it. People complain that politicians are not truthful. Yet when politicians do state the truth, people don’t want to accept it.

For some it is easier to blame others for their place in life because they are influenced by the rubbish put out by some commentators who clearly have no idea about what it takes to succeed in the real world. Some commentators try to brainwash their audience by theorising something they are clueless about based on theoretical text books they read at University. The theory gives them a false illusion of intelligence even though they are deluded from the real world.

Damned guy thinks, as I do, that Romney spoke a lot of truth in that number. Of course, the media and the left don't like to see anything true when they can use it against an opponent. I guess you failed to see those words about what those people got at college.

I was talking with a friend yesterday who got thrown out of a class in college because he told the prof that he was so terribly wrong about letting the national debt grow and grow. That was in about 1970 and I didn't even know the libs had taken over in that school that early.
If you met someone who had been horribly disfigured in, say, an auto accident, would you tell that person, Oh, my god, you are ugly as sin? It hurts my eyes to look at you. It may be the truth, but do you need to say it? It is not necessary to speak insults. But thank goodness Romney did; he has now been totally exposed for who he really is.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
HMPPTTT double standard you have between Obama and Romney. Obama wants to help them and Romney doesn't. Well it's been proven Obama can't help, now it's Romney's turn. it's been proven he can create jobs.
This is not a double standard. This is the truth.

The unemployment rate has been dropping since 2010; the stock market has doubled in value since March 2009. We're not out of the woods yet, but things are picking up.

When did Romney create jobs? He sent many Massachucetts jobs overseas when he was governor. He was an private equity guy with Bain. Private equity firms are not in the business of creating jobs. They are in the business of buying up companies, throwing people out of work, then selling companies for profit. Look up Mitt Romney and Bain's adventure with Ampad in Marion Indiana in 1994.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
FancyFeast, a lot of people agree with Romney. The elderly, veterans and disable need the money but there are people on welfare who lost jobs and are a victim of Obama's policies. They don't want to be on welfare but they have no choice now because Obama's promise did not materialize. We are still over 8% unemployed.

It's the welfare queens people are sick of paying for. Take the lady who was bragging about getting a free Obamaphone and saying vote for Obama because he will give you a free phone. I know you will defend Obama until the end but a lot of people do not think very highly of the people who are soaking the taxpayer.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
This is not a double standard. This is the truth.

The unemployment rate has been dropping since 2010; the stock market has doubled in value since March 2009. We're not out of the woods yet, but things are picking up.
You don't expect much out of life do you? You are willing to let the most powerful man off the hook because he asks you to.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Social Security tax is capped, but so are the benefits. AND higher income earners get back LESS than they paid into the system.
Social Security not deal it once was for workers - Yahoo! News

There is no cap on the tax for Medicare. So, again, higher income earners pay more into that than anyone else for the same benefits.

They also need to contribute to the cost of our federal government. They receive federal government services and benefits. End the EITC. Everyone needs to pay their fair share. The burden is currently inequitably and unfairly placed on the 49% who actually do pay federal income tax.
That's not going to happen. You do realize how very little money we could actually raise from people making so little? In addition, the EITC gives lower earners more incentive to work rather than stay home and contribute NOTHING to the economy. (Reagan loved the EITC and Milton Friedman was the originator of the idea for the EITC).

This has really gone off the rails. The GOP narrative used to be against people NOT WORKING. Mitt Romney and InformedConsent are making it clear that the GOP is really and vocally against WORKING people. Not a winning strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections