Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,345,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Didn't feel like reading all the comments, but here is my opinion. I'm a community volunteer in my state (I talk to independent folks and democrats, and republicans here and there and try to talk to these people about voting, and registering to vote, donating, etc) I'm also a moderate democrat(bordering independent) and I'm going to be 100% honest(seeing as I got home a little while ago from volunteering). Most independents were not necessarily swayed by the 47% comment. What bothers them is the Mitt Romney campaign as a whole--it's filled with incompetency, flip-flopping, and disorganization. To top it off there seems to be question about Mitt's sincerity in being president--is he running for president because he really wants to turn the economy around OR because he wants to put this on a plaque on his wall of yet another accomplishment he's made within the list of the accomplishments he's made as a business man, son, and as a governor. If the 47% comment was the only "negative" thing that happened in his campaign many independent voters, that I've talked to, would still be inclined to vote for Mitt because they aren't satisfied with Obama.

However the statements Mitt and Ryan have made, the flip-flopping on issues, the refusal to show more than 2 years of taxes, the fact that Mitt barely pays taxes, the blatant lies that Mitt has told in some of his ads(that his audience know of), the vagueness of Mitt's plans and Mitt's refusal to talk about his plans for virtually everything, and the 47% comment on top of it, make Mitt an unattractive candidate for president. That is the general consensus amongst the independent voters I've talked to. That being said, some of these independents still haven't decided if they will vote for him or Obama and are waiting for the debates to happen and to see how the rest of his campaign goes(which thus far seems to not be going well). Republicans who heard the 47% comment, that I've talked to within my state, are not happy with the campaign either, but are still voting for Mitt because A) He's the republican candidate(for better or worse) B) They hate Obama. So to answer the question, was Romney's comment that bad? No. It was bad in that it did taint his image even amongst his fan base, but is it causing masses of people to decide not to vote for him? No. MOST Republicans that were going to vote for him still will, only a very tiny amount won't and if they don't it's because of his whole campaign and the lack of satisfaction with the republican party. MOST independent voters are still undecided, however some of them are looking at Romney with doubt because of his campaign as well.

In terms of my feelings on the comment? I think it was tasteless, tacky and not smart. He doesn't seem to understand that his base happens to be a part of this 47% of government dependent folk. He doesn't know all of his base. I think that's a problem. Other than that, he is right on some levels--there is a party of people dependent on the government that will vote for someone that is offering to continue giving that "help", because it is in their "interest" (this dependent group) to do so. But doesn't that go for everyone? Won't the rich vote for the candidate that will keep the most money in their pockets? Won't the business owners vote for the person that they feel will best support small businesses? Most people will vote in their interest and vote for the candidate that has the platform that matches their interests. It's been proven time and time again, that the republicans don't think highly of those that receive government assistance(even though there are TONS of republicans on government assistance) and lately it's being proven that the republican is the party for the "rich" so why would the poor or government dependent folk vote for someone that doesn't have their interest? Why is it wrong for these dependent voters to vote for the candidate that will support their needs? Meanwhile its okay for the rich to want Romney because he'll keep money in their pockets.

If Mitt was surprised to learn that there are groups of people that will NEVER vote for him, he needs to examine WHY that it is--it's all in his platform, which is 100% for the rich and corporate folk, and is DEFINITELY against poor people or people receiving government aid. I'd even venture to say it's harmful for the middle class too, but obviously there are some that believe Obama is bad for the middle class too, so go figure...
Let me submit to you that I think you will be pretty surprised if Romney wins. I say that because I believe you will be shock at how loose money becomes among business people with him in and Obama out. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I am not.

So you talked to a few people who saw how you felt about the election and ,like most, went along with you. You must be a pollster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I just spent 10 minutes Googling Mr. McIntyre. It seems he does indeed have all sorts of problems with the ASIC. In fact, he's got all sorts of problems with people calling his get-rich-quick investment schemes a scam.

Nice catch artemis! (I wouldn't have bothered to look up McIntyre but, mercy, I'm glad you clued us in. He's got all kinds of people unhappy with him. So much for listening to him as any kind of an expert.)
You hadn't been willing to see the man as an expert before you did your googling. I suppose you know that artemis is pretty far left leaning just like you, which I found about a week ago. Remember that if your story doesn't come from Mother Jones, The Nation, al Times of New York or WAPO it probably won't be considered very true by left leaners.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Wonder what Roy will have to say about that?
My answer has been entered and I hope you get to see it.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,187,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The 47% comments will go down in political campaign history as the dumbest thing ever done by a candidate. It was AWFUL.

He's going down for the second time and right now he needs a gigantic life preserver if he's going to save his campaign. Glub, glub, glub.
Agreed. And i thought his comment that he didn't care about poor people was bad. But he is going to have trouble recovering from 47%. 47% is going to stick to Romney like Read My Lips stuck to George H.W. Bush.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... liberals' definition of "fair share" is what?
I told you that they don't know what Obama means when he howls Fair Share.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
It was dumb for a couple reasons.

First, there are people who don't pay income taxes who vote republican. Insulting people you need to turn out is never a good idea.

Second, it alienates people who usually or used to pay income taxes and are solid republican or swing voters but don't right now. The elderly, temporarily unemployed, etc.
Of course you know about what Obama said to those wealthy Democrats in San Francisco in 2008 about those farmers from Pennsylvania, don't you? Without Fox and some other right leaners that one would have been thrown away by the media before it ever got out. Left leaning media, anybody?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,031,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Can Obama make them take responsibility or care for their lives?

If so, why hasn't he yet?
The majority of them are already "taking responsibility" and "caring" for their lives by working full-time, going to school, or their retirement. Folks who make less than $40,000 a year and have 2 children don't pay federal taxes. This includes teachers, secretaries and other hard-working people. Chances are you are one of the 47% or have been at some point in your life.

Romney's comments showed a real disconnect and misunderstanding of who he was talking about. It's only the worse in a long line of ill advised and alienating comments this man has made. He is not fit for national office.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:18 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,152,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You hadn't been willing to see the man as an expert before you did your googling. I suppose you know that artemis is pretty far left leaning just like you, which I found about a week ago. Remember that if your story doesn't come from Mother Jones, The Nation, al Times of New York or WAPO it probably won't be considered very true by left leaners.
really? Please don't pretend to know me nor my political views.

Its an opinion piece. There is no "truth".

The person you thought was oh-so-spot on, has a questionable past. Yet, he thinks its fine to question other people's work ethic, other people's "contract with society" all the while he has had charges against him on ripping off people (pensioners et al).

Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 PM

89,361 posts, read 45,091,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The majority of them are already "taking responsibility" and "caring" for their lives by working full-time, going to school, or their retirement. Folks who make less than $40,000 a year and have 2 children don't pay federal taxes. This includes teachers, secretaries and other hard-working people.
Why don't they contribute to the cost of our federal government? They receive government services and benefits, don't they? Can Obama make them take responsibility and contribute their fair share?

If so, why hasn't he yet?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,031,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Of course you know about what Obama said to those wealthy Democrats in San Francisco in 2008 about those farmers from Pennsylvania, don't you? Without Fox and some other right leaners that one would have been thrown away by the media before it ever got out. Left leaning media, anybody?
That was on every major news outlet for quite some time. While it was a bit of a gaffe, it was not nearly as bad as Romney's recent clip. All Obama said was that out of long years of manufacturing decline and frustration and government claims to revitalize their towns, white working class folks had become cynical about government. Some even "clung to their guns and religion" because of this cynicism toward government.

The key different, Obama wanted to find a way to persuade those voters that there was the possibility of improvement in those areas. That government, coupled with private investment and resident sweat equity, could turn these forgotten places around.

Romney on the other hand essentially called 47 percent of the country irredeemable and unreachable losers.

Romney’s “47 percent” vs. Obama’s “cling to guns or religion”: Which gaffe is worse? - Slate Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections