Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 11:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,430,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
FancyFeast, a lot of people agree with Romney. The elderly, veterans and disable need the money but there are people on welfare who lost jobs and are a victim of Obama's policies. They don't want to be on welfare but they have no choice now because Obama's promise did not materialize. We are still over 8% unemployed.

It's the welfare queens people are sick of paying for. Take the lady who was bragging about getting a free Obamaphone and saying vote for Obama because he will give you a free phone. I know you will defend Obama until the end but a lot of people do not think very highly of the people who are soaking the taxpayer.
I think there is really a basic character problem with a person who cannot feel empathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 AM

83 posts, read 79,797 times
Were Romney's words so bad?

Yes. They were disastrously bad. And not just for him. They were pretty bad for republicans too.

Here's the problem: specific government programs and interventions are mostly popular. I know they're not popular with some of you folks in this thread for ideological reasons, but the math is out there in the polling data - Americans mostly like the actual government programs that help them and theirs.

But you know what they don't like? Paying all their tax dollars for programs being used by LAZY ENTITLED BLACK PEOPLE WHO ARE WELFARE MOMS WITH CADILLACS.

The Republican party can run on shrinking government as long as it can find voters who think that government programs are mostly about taking money from YOU and giving money to the UNDESERVING.

But the math mostly isn't there. That's just not where the tax dollars going.

Now, most of the time, Republican politicians are REALLY good at dancing around this stuff rhetorically so as to never quite give the game away. The one thing that their general rhetorical approach demands, however, is for voters to never quite make the connection that "entitlements" doesn't mean "WELFARE FOR BLACK PEOPLE", it mostly means "MEDICARE FOR YOUR MOTHER" and "PELL GRANTS" and "JOBS PROGRAMS FOR OUR RETURNING VETERANS".

That's where Mitt Romney comes in. This entire 47% thing has been a massive education campaign on the topic of who pays into our system, why, and who gets benefits out. And it turns out it's not mostly "WELFARE FOR BLACK PEOPLE!" It's mostly the elderly, veterans, children, and the working poor. Some of you on this board might _hate_ this fact, but most Americans aren't okay with watching those groups die in the street from forces outside of their control. And Mitt Romney is doing his accidental part to educate folks about this fact, and that is very detrimental to the general Republican strategy, RE: BLACK PEOPLE, WELFARE, CADILLACS, SHRINKING GOVERNMENT.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,584,000 times

Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,269,478 times
Here ya go, not even all republicans like Willard, they compare him to President Obama, and you right wing fools are going to vote for him anyway because it's Romney-R.

You righties are stupider than us liberals, and that's not saying much.
Republicans Against Romney (and against Obama who is the lesser of two evils)

Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 AM

89,673 posts, read 45,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
That's not going to happen. You do realize how very little money we could actually raise from people making so little?
Total BS. The federal government is collecting 40% of the federal income tax revenue from those who earn only 17% of the income. Go beyond the top 1% to the top 5% and it's 60% of the federal income tax revenue from those who only earn 30% of the income. The bottom 95% is WAY underpaying their fair share AND causing the deficits to rise and the national debt to skyrocket.

I will repeat AGAIN what the Chairman of the Economics Department at Harvard University found...
Quote:
Because transfer payments are, in effect, the opposite of taxes, it makes sense to look not just at taxes paid, but at taxes paid minus transfers received. For 2009, the most recent year available, here are taxes less transfers as a percentage of market income (income that households earned from their work and savings):

Bottom quintile: -301 percent
Second quintile: -42 percent
Middle quintile: -5 percent
Fourth quintile: 10 percent
Highest quintile: 22 percent
Top one percent: 28 percent

The negative 301 percent means that a typical family in the bottom quintile receives about $3 in transfer payments for every dollar earned.

The most surprising fact to me was that the effective tax rate is negative for the middle quintile. According to the CBO data, this number was +14 percent in 1979 (when the data begin) and remained positive through 2007. It was negative 0.5 percent in 2008, and negative 5 percent in 2009. That is, the middle class, having long been a net contributor to the funding of government, is now a net recipient of government largess.
Greg Mankiw's Blog: The Progressivity of Taxes and Transfers

CBO report cited:
CBO | The Distribution of Household Income and Federal Taxes, 2008 and 2009

Flat tax from dollar one. Everyone pays their fair share. If you don't like that, national sales tax from dollar one, no exclusions or kickbacks. Everyone pays their fair share, even those who earn their income off the books and via illicit means.

Quit sucking the country dry.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,317,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Here is an opportunity to read some thoughts from an Aussie who claims to have been an Obama supporter up to now. I don't know how he feels about The One now but it seems he disagrees with the Obama campaign a lot. He talks about a real Romney's words about bludges holding a lot of truth.

***Now I’ve always been an Obama fan (except his economic track record) and had little to go on whether I like Mitt Romney or not.

But these comments instil a much higher level of respect for Mr Romney and his bold honesty even if they were politically incorrect.

The critics (largely leftist journalists) in the US and Australia harshly target him for speaking the truth. Nevertheless, isn’t it true that people should be responsible and care for their lives?***

If you don't know what a bludge is do as I did and go to our friend, Google.

Is there some hard truth in Romney’s comments? | 21st Century News
Romney's 47% comment was dishonest, and insulted millions of Americans.

I think many conservatives and evidently Mitt Romney view millions of other Americans as throw away people who don't matter.

I wasn't sure his callous comments would hurt Romney, but they clearly have hurt him.

The surprising thing for me were all the conservatives who came to his aid and who thought his words were political winners. Any pundit or radio host or blogger, or commentator who predicted that this gaffe would be this great opportunity for Romney, should have their credibility destroyed.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:19 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,506,348 times
IF what he said is so truthful, and IF what he said is what American's need to hear, WHY did he choose to say it at a $50,000/plate fundraiser and not bring it up in any of his stump speeches until after the video came out 4 months later?

Why do all Republicans assume that the 48.6% of Americans that are going to vote for Obama contains the entire 47%? It doesn't. That comment includes members of both parties.

Look at the polls. That statement and others HAVE hurt Romney. How else do you explain what is happening?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:29 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,544,905 times
Were Romney's words so bad?
If nothing else it proves he's two faced and will tell anyone anything he thinks they want to hear,also shows what a pompous elitist he is as he thinks half the country are nothing but leeches and bums.Obviously his potential presidency would reflect his disdain for those that dont vote for him or those that fall within his 47% entitlement class.
It shows a man with low moral values who is totally out of touch with Americas middle class.
If you are rich vote for him he'll cut your taxes.
If you arent so rich and think you'll ever need to avail yourself of the use of government social programs voting for him is not in your best interest as he'll cut all the social programs.
Who do i vote for? i'm just a guy who worked in a factory all my life, i'll need medicare, the pension will help with the expenses,other seniors social programs may be needed etc.
Obama comes across as some one who is sincere and cares about all Americans.
Romney comes across as some one who just wants to be the President at any cost and only needs the people to vote for him to get him there,then you're on your own.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:32 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,713,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Here ya go, not even all republicans like Willard, they compare him to President Obama, and you right wing fools are going to vote for him anyway because it's Romney-R.

You righties are stupider than us liberals, and that's not saying much.
Republicans Against Romney (and against Obama who is the lesser of two evils)
Some people just like to trash other people to elevate themselves, these sorry sacks are in both political parties.

We conservatives are willing to vote for Romney because our current president has failed us. He has failed to keep his promises, failed to deliver on any of his grant predictions of economic recovery that he made in 2008, or 2009. We have 45 months of 8% unemployment, 1.3% GDP growth, $16 trillion in debt, the Mid East has its hair on fire and they are murdering our ambassadors, yes, it's time Obama went back home to IL.

We need not speculate on what Obama might do as our president, over four years. Obama is a known quantity, he's a failure, nuff said, time to move on.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,713,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Romney's 47% comment was dishonest, and insulted millions of Americans.

I think many conservatives and evidently Mitt Romney view millions of other Americans as throw away people who don't matter.

I wasn't sure his callous comments would hurt Romney, but they clearly have hurt him.

The surprising thing for me were all the conservatives who came to his aid and who thought his words were political winners. Any pundit or radio host or blogger, or commentator who predicted that this gaffe would be this great opportunity for Romney, should have their credibility destroyed.
Why get hung up on the figure of 47%, he was using the number in a general way, because it was a small audience, where they could ask him to go into more detail if they misunderstood him. In a televised speech, the audience cannot ask for further context, so I'm sure he would have expressed himself differently, so as not to be taken out of context.

It's the same with Obama's "bitter, clingers" comments in 2008, they too were made to a small group, and Obama chose his words clumsily, because he knew the people understood the over arching theme of what he was trying to say, and they to could ask him for clarification if the misunderstood him.

Romney has not changed the context of what he said, because about 47% of Americans are not paying taxes, partially due to the Obama economy, and half or so of that 47% will never vote for Romney no matter what, and some of those 47% like getting free stuff from the taxpayers, and will vote to keep the gravy train rolling along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections