Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
While Romney didn't say that, I'm wondering... instead of getting all bent out of shape for being called out as non-contributors, why don't the 47% just contribute their fair share?
Apparently, legally, their "fair share" is $0 (in federal income tax only). As has been pointed out, the Bush tax cuts and others over the years have contributed to this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Some people just like to trash other people to elevate themselves, these sorry sacks are in both political parties.

We conservatives are willing to vote for Romney because our current president has failed us. He has failed to keep his promises, failed to deliver on any of his grant predictions of economic recovery that he made in 2008, or 2009. We have 45 months of 8% unemployment, 1.3% GDP growth, $16 trillion in debt, the Mid East has its hair on fire and they are murdering our ambassadors, yes, it's time Obama went back home to IL.

We need not speculate on what Obama might do as our president, over four years. Obama is a known quantity, he's a failure, nuff said, time to move on.

Righties are really good at trashing Obama and Democrats just read through a few of the topics here ,
Current President failed you? i'd say the GOP have sat on their butts for the last 4 years and voted no or Filibustered just about everything the President tried to do and they basically did nothing but chant the mantra Obama must be a 1 term President.Who's the failure here? My support goes to a hard working President who has Americas best interest at the forefront rather than a bunch of fat cats who have had a hissy fit for the last 4 years because they didnt get what they wanted,OICU Sounds like you've listened to all the rightwing baloney and are now prepared to give the country back to the very people who got us in this mess in the first place.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-28-2012 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 09:21 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Total BS. The federal government is collecting 40% of the federal income tax revenue from those who earn only 17% of the income. Go beyond the top 1% to the top 5% and it's 60% of the federal income tax revenue from those who only earn 30% of the income. The bottom 95% is WAY underpaying their fair share AND causing the deficits to rise and the national debt to skyrocket.
A "fair share" of one's income is what we're talking about here. In any progressive tax code, there Of course the top 1 percent of obscenely wealthy people are going to send a lot more money at tax time. They earn vastly more. Most are not paying less than 20 percent of their incomes into the system, That 17 percent of income number is misleading.

The tax code is progressive for a reason - to incentivize people to work.

Furthermore, only 42 percent of federal revenues comes from individual income tax returns.

Quote:
Flat tax from dollar one. Everyone pays their fair share. If you don't like that, national sales tax from dollar one, no exclusions or kickbacks. Everyone pays their fair share, even those who earn their income off the books and via illicit means.

Quit sucking the country dry.
Flat tax would do nothing to solve our problems. It would just further suck the treasury dry.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You hadn't been willing to see the man as an expert before you did your googling. I suppose you know that artemis is pretty far left leaning just like you, which I found about a week ago. Remember that if your story doesn't come from Mother Jones, The Nation, al Times of New York or WAPO it probably won't be considered very true by left leaners.
I'm far left leaning?

Gee. I learn so much about myself here. BTW: I don't read any of those publications. Unless al Times of New York is your name for the New York Times which I read on Sundays. Sometimes. During football season. Because they have a handicapper who is a quite wry and funny.

You sure do make a lot of assumptions about people. Either that or you have some type of super x-ray vision glasses. Which seem to not be working very well. Think you can ask for your money back?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:10 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Here is an opportunity to read some thoughts from an Aussie who claims to have been an Obama supporter up to now. I don't know how he feels about The One now but it seems he disagrees with the Obama campaign a lot. He talks about a real Romney's words about bludges holding a lot of truth.

***Now I’ve always been an Obama fan (except his economic track record) and had little to go on whether I like Mitt Romney or not.

But these comments instil a much higher level of respect for Mr Romney and his bold honesty even if they were politically incorrect.

The critics (largely leftist journalists) in the US and Australia harshly target him for speaking the truth. Nevertheless, isn’t it true that people should be responsible and care for their lives?***

If you don't know what a bludge is do as I did and go to our friend, Google.

Is there some hard truth in Romney’s comments? | 21st Century News
Still at it eh.
* Bold honesty? Opposing views on issues in the same month, week, day, or speech? He now crows about Romneycare.
* Repub Congress has nothing to do with the economy?
* Personal responsibility - while corporations outsource jobs and Wall Street crashes the economy? Too many government handouts?
https://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/09/03-7

Last edited by detwahDJ; 09-28-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Apparently, legally, their "fair share" is $0 (in federal income tax only). As has been pointed out, the Bush tax cuts and others over the years have contributed to this situation.
I don't remember the words pay fair share previous to Obama using them so often. Are you finally the lib who will tell me what the fair share is? I have nearly begged libs to tell me what that fair share crap is.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Righties are really good at trashing Obama and Democrats just read through a few of the topics here ,
Current President failed you? i'd say the GOP have sat on their butts for the last 4 years and voted no or Filibustered just about everything the President tried to do and they basically did nothing but chant the mantra Obama must be a 1 term President.Who's the failure here? My support goes to a hard working President who has Americas best interest at the forefront rather than a bunch of fat cats who have had a hissy fit for the last 4 years because they didnt get what they wanted,OICU Sounds like you've listened to all the rightwing baloney and are now prepared to give the country back to the very people who got us in this mess in the first place.
I see that you don't know about Harry Reid refusing to even debate, let alone vote on, any bills from the House that have to do with jobs or budget. I guess you don't consider his actions to be a form of filibuster or you don't know about them. Which is it?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
A "fair share" of one's income is what we're talking about here. In any progressive tax code, there Of course the top 1 percent of obscenely wealthy people are going to send a lot more money at tax time. They earn vastly more. Most are not paying less than 20 percent of their incomes into the system, That 17 percent of income number is misleading.

The tax code is progressive for a reason - to incentivize people to work.

Furthermore, only 42 percent of federal revenues comes from individual income tax returns.

Flat tax would do nothing to solve our problems. It would just further suck the treasury dry.
You need to educate yourself about the Fair Tax which is a flat tax but would do so much to work for the people of the nation if employed. You do know about the Fair Tax, I don't think.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Still at it eh.
* Bold honesty? Opposing views on issues in the same month, week, day, or speech? He now crows about Romneycare.
* Congress has nothing to do with the economy?
* Personal responsibility - while corporations outsource jobs and Wall Street crashes the economy? Too many government handouts?
https://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/09/03-7
Did I say that Congress has nothing to do with the economy? I don't think I can find that part in your quote.

Where in that quote did I say anything about government handouts?

Oh yeah, you have been scouring Romney's words and finding that crap. I guess I have only been accused of bringing up what the Aussie had to say although he didn't mention any of those things. I guess neither of us managed to see all those words in the 47% subject.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Did I say that Congress has nothing to do with the economy? I don't think I can find that part in your quote.

Where in that quote did I say anything about government handouts?

Oh yeah, you have been scouring Romney's words and finding that crap. I guess I have only been accused of bringing up what the Aussie had to say although he didn't mention any of those things. I guess neither of us managed to see all those words in the 47% subject.
* You posted the Aussie's words because you agree with them.
* Your source said "Obama's economic track record" (conveniently leaving Congress out of the picture) which you posted in support your well-known views on Obama.
* Another quote was that people "should be responsible for their lives" (not relying on government handouts). I'm assuming this includes everybody - as well as repub corporate heroes. That is the pertinence of my link.
Leaving stuff out and partial truths, ala Fox, is one tool of the propagandist's toolbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections