Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 02:44 PM

398 posts, read 819,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
What an awesome post!

I wish you were moderating one of the debates.

Legitimate questions, all of them, and ones I'd love to see Willard forced to answer - especially all the questions about him protesting FOR the draft and then high-tailing it to a life of comfort in France and while he rode his bike around the countryside and wrote love letters in the sand to Ann, young men were fighting the war he supported.

How can anyone of good character possibly justify that?
May be his number was never called for the draft. Do you know what number the government drew for his birthday? To make comments on the Vietnam war and the draft at that time, you need to know what number was assigned to an individual based on their birthday. Higher numbers were never called. Those men finished college, went on missions, started families and so forth. The rest went to the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 02:45 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Obviously that statement was to illustrate Romney's rather un-passionate persona.
As an Obama supporter, I couldn't agree more about his "unpassionate persona." He doesn't impress me as a candidate, as a person, or even as a Mormon.

Quote:
But I would ask him questions about his being a Mormon in a heart beat. You bet. Totally legitimate and nothing John Kennedy wasn't faced with as well.
But would they be questions that were in any way relevant to his ability to serve as the President of the United States? Would they be legitimate questions or would they be, "Tell us about your magic underwear" or "What's the weather forcast for Kolob next week?" A long time back, I posed a question on this forum. I said, "If you could ask Mitt Romney any questions about his faith, what would you ask. Mostly, I got non-answers; I just got a bunch of rants about how stupid Mormonism is. I don't actally recall having seen one legitimate question. If I were Romney, I would welcome the opportunity to set the record straight, to clear up the misconceptions and inaccurate information about Mormonism. But to tell you the truth, I don't think 9 out of 10 people would pay any attention at all to the answers he might give. Most of them are far more interested in putting him on the spot and embarrassing him than they are in becoming educated on what his religious beliefs are.

Quote:
I'd also ask him why he chose to be a missionary in France instead of serve in the military during Vietnam. I'd ask him if the Mormon church was more important than his country.
My guess is that he'd probably say that he didn't look at it the way you're looking at it. As a Mormon male, he had almost certainly been looking forward to the day he turned nineteen and could serve a mission since he was about seven or eight years old. If push came to shove, he'd probably say -- as would most Christians -- that God comes first in their lives.

Quote:
One more thought - Most of America knows about temple garments. If Romney had any sense he'd tackle the issue by being proactive. "Yes. I wear them. It's a sign of my faith. Next question." Instead people make jokes and his supporters get upset. It's always better to put that stuff on the table and deal with it. If it bites him in the butt in the next month he'll have only himself and his advisers to blame.
And one question for you... What joke has he made about his temple garments? (I'm not trying to say he hasn't made one; I've just never heard it.) For thousands of years, religious people have worn clothing that has a sacred significance to them personally. The Mormons just happen to wear their sacred clothing next to the skin, much like the Jewish tallit katan. How do you think it would go over if someone were to ask an Orthodox Jew to make a public statement on his "magic underwear"? Anti-Semitism is very unfashionable today (that goodness), but it appears that anti-Mormonism is totally politically acceptable. And if you think that, "Yes, I wear them. It's a sign of my faith. Next question," would be the end of it, you're crazy.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
I'll bring it up.
Obama made himself prosperous - from nothing. Romney was wealthy the day he was born.
Romneys dad was so poor, he collected welfare.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
One has to wonder if people here are getting paid by the Right Wing to start all of these threads/discussions.
Paid trolls are a fact of life. This is behind some of those "work at home" ads.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Paid trolls are a fact of life. This is behind some of those "work at home" ads.
Maybe you can point some of these out for me.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,063,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Romneys dad was so poor, he collected welfare.
And his son Mitt Romney is collecting corporate welfare

Old 09-30-2012, 03:03 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Don't we all wish the moderators shared our opinions. Why don't you just wish you were a moderator yourself?
It isn't even a matter of a moderator sharing my opinion.

What's wrong with wanting Romney to answer the questions posed by DewDropInn? Why shouldn't Romney be questioned about how he could protest FOR the draft and support the war but not be willing to fight himself?

And why shouldn't he have to answer questions about his religion and whether or not his religious beliefs will play a part in how he would govern? If those kinds of questions were good enough for our first Catholic presidential, why shouldn't they be asked of someone of the Mormon faith who wants to be president? Why should any questions about his faith be exempt? What makes Romney and the Mormon church special? Look at how many times President Obama has had to defend the fact that he is a Christian, and there are still idiots who question his faith.

I realize that you are sensitive to any criticism of the Mormon church, but frankly, it's getting old. It's like you peruse these threads, just looking for any hint of criticism of the Mormon church just so you can get your panties in a twist.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
And his son Mitt Romney is collecting corporate welfare
how does Toys R Us, or Staples collect corporate welfare?

Dumb..

Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badland wonder View Post
May be his number was never called for the draft. Do you know what number the government drew for his birthday? To make comments on the Vietnam war and the draft at that time, you need to know what number was assigned to an individual based on their birthday. Higher numbers were never called. Those men finished college, went on missions, started families and so forth. The rest went to the war.
Missing the point? Romney beat the war drums - for others to serve. Calling for other people to go off and fight, then avoiding service is disgusting and immoral. Typical neo-repub.
If one wants to avoid service, then one should keep one's mouth shut where it concerns the lives of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections