Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:45 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,329,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Because any Republican that can capture the center needed to win the national election cannot win the primaries.
Bam! Perfect answer.

Repubs are bat**** crazy in their primaries. And candidates that are otherwise mentally stable are forced to go along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,082,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
We liked romney,bachmann and perry. No way they would ever win. RIGHT WING IDIOTS PLEASE DON'T STOP!
I'm being serious, why would Republicans ever field a candidate that you left wing fools would like? Wouldn't that be pointless? Why do liberals expect conservatives to elect candidates that you like when you elect candidates that conservatives would never like?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM

15,822 posts, read 12,515,509 times
We need more candidates who say what they mean and not just mushy-middle stuff that's needed to get elected. The right's problem is that they moved too far to the right and gave up the middle that's need to win. The far right is a minority and when they do submit an 'electable' middle of the road candidate like Romney or McCain everyone sees through the facade. The parliamentary system is better than the US 2 party system in that it gives everyone seat at the table.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,125,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm being serious, why would Republicans ever field a candidate that you left wing fools would like?
To win maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow
Wouldn't that be pointless?
More pointless than losing? I hardly think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow
Why do liberals expect conservatives to elect candidates that you like when you elect candidates that conservatives would never like?
Because the center decides elections.

End of story.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
To win maybe?

More pointless than losing? I hardly think so.

Because the center decides elections.

End of story.
I'm not interested in becoming a moron Democrat just so I can "win" anything, I don't need to win anything that badly.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,125,625 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in becoming a moron Democrat just so I can "win" anything, I don't need to win anything that badly.
That's perfectly okay with me.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:56 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,334,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Thanks for the whacko-conspiracy-theory viewpoint.

Back to the real world:
Anybody have a sensible reply?
Sure--in the real world, the sensible reply is easy. No moderate Republicans (the only kind that can win the presidency) want to put themselves through the nightmare that is the Republican primary process. They have to twist themselves into something they are not (as Mitt Romney had to do--out there eating grits and pretending he could relate to the far right-wing) so they appear to be hypocrites. The extremists like Santorum, Gingrich and Cruz could never get elected in the general. So the RNC has to come up with a candidate who can make it through both. They lucked out with George Bush--he was raised in the northeast and then moved to Texas, so he could appeal to both sides of the party. But even Bush was later criticized by the extremists, and while Bush was campaigning in SC against McCain, they did a racist smear campaign against McCain's adopted kid--to appeal to the SC base I assume--and that is certainly not George Bush's style. Jeb Bush is the only candidate that may be able to appeal to everyone as he conservative, but also sane and intelligent, and who could attract independent voters needed to win the general. Even then, I'm sure there are some tea party extremists who would call him a RINO. Then after a candidate wins the nomination and he/she is pressured to put a tea party on the ticket as VP. They scare people as well (as Palin and Ryan did).

In addition, if the GOP were to take the senate at the midterms, the GOP candidate will have a hard time in the general as the country has always been very (and smartly) reluctant to have the same party running all three branches of government. When that happens, the following midterms usually correct that issue.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:57 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,294,727 times
Quote:
I'm being serious, why would Republicans ever field a candidate that you left wing fools would like? Wouldn't that be pointless? Why do liberals expect conservatives to elect candidates that you like when you elect candidates that conservatives would never like?

Right wing fools don't grasp the thread. Sure we won't like them as President but we like them as unelectable candidates.. i was just asking why you right wing fools put up such easily beaten candidates.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
That's perfectly okay with me.
I'm sure it is, as long as I'm forced to pay for your seemingly endless list of failed liberal plans, ideas and policies you'll always be OK.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Right wing fools don't grasp the thread. Sure we won't like them as President but we like them as unelectable candidates.. i was just asking why you right wing fools put up such easily beaten candidates.
We're in the second half of an 8 year presidential cycle and the Democrat president has historically low approval ratings. We're also coming up on mid term elections where all signs are pointing to a complete slaughter for the left wing in this country.

Why are you left wing idiots putting up such horrible candidates that they can't even hold their seats or come out on top in any poll?

Seriously, Wendy Davis? Come on now, you guys can't be that stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections