Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Trump's Dad was a successful RE agent, but he was not even in the same universe in terms of success as Donald is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Trump

Donald Trump took his father's success to a whole other level. $10B did not come from his father.

But hey - feel free to believe what you want. It's not like there's actual information out there you could learn from.
His father, who died in 1999, was worth anywhere from $250-$300M, I would say that is a pretty highly successful career.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
And that makes him qualified to be President?
Probably the exact same things that make me qualified to be President. He meets the qualifications.
We after all elected a junior senator from Illinois who hadn't been there long enough to find the mens room.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Probably the exact same things that make me qualified to be President. He meets the qualifications.
We after all elected a junior senator from Illinois who hadn't been there long enough to find the mens room.
Right, he was just a Harvard educated lawyer, which is something very few good Presidents have in commone.

And, he at least had experience working in government. Trump has NO government experience. I cannot believe there are people out there dumb enough to fall for this idiot's schtick?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:37 PM

57,238 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That's what the pundits said:

1. before he announced he was running.
2. before he submitted the formal paperwork.
3. before he submitted the financial paperwork.
4. after he said he'd put up a wall.
5. after he made the McCain reply after McCain called Trump supporters "crazies."
6. after he gave out Lindsey Graham's phone number.
7. after the debate and Kelly dust up.
8. after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! in NH.
9. after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! in Iowa.
10. after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! in NC.
11. after he began to close the gap between himself and Hillary.
12. after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! in Ohio
13. when he didn't have any policy specifics
14. after he met with Jeff Sessions and produced a detailed immigration policy.
15. after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! in Nevada.
16. after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! in Arizona.
17. after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! in Pa.
18. after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! in Texas.
19. when he didn't have a ground game.
20. after he had a ground game.
21. after thousands came out to hear him speak.
22. and my favorite, after he passed "inevitable" Jeb! and pundit favorite back-up Rubio in FLORIDA.
23. after he led with 15% of the vote.
24. after he led with 24% of the vote. The pundits are saying, "He can't win when 76% of the people want someone else but strangely enough not a peep about 85% percent of the people wanting someone other than Inevitable Guy.

If any people should be gone it's George Will, Krauthammer and their ilk for the worst political forecasting in decades. Even rookie meteorologists have been more accurate with their forecasts than those guys.

He has surprised quite a few people including myself but reading anything into polls in August is premature to say the least. I have to wonder if it's his popularity or just pure hatred of the political system. He will at some point need to offer more than just a few one liners if he wants to be president. Do you honestly see him compromising with congress, I think he is used to getting his own way and that is not conducive to the position.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:37 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm grateful that trump stood up for political correctness and it seems to work.

You can agree or disagree with him on many things but finally someone got people to listen as it is killing things in life that were always "normal and not wrong".

In my line of business the MLS changed from not allowing certain words on a listing and getting it flagged. For example;

-nice black painted accent wall
-white vinyl fence
- China cabinet
Etc.

It is getting to the point that it is ridiculous and soon a "walking closet" will be banned as some can't walk and I understand that type of description can be scrutinized but it was always ok and nobody felt offended.

We had the football team names no longer be ok, and many other things that were always ok.

Blacks could sing about the "N" word and about hookers and very bad ways of how women would be described but oh my gosh if someone else would use the same words the ceiling would fall down on them.

In Europe there are cookies called "Jew cookies" and they have been around for decades and actually taste nice. Not one Jewish person complained about it and neither did I as a Jewish person.

Anchor kids is what they are called and what is wrong about it and Illegal aliens should leave if they don't like the name as they broke the law and are here illegally.

I don't like the name legal alien either as I never felt like an alien but that is what it is called and either you accept or leave.

Thanks Mr. Trump for making this change!
He hasn't "ended" Political Correctness. He has just decided to be an ass.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He has surprised quite a few people including myself but reading anything into polls in August is premature to say the least. I have to wonder if it's his popularity or just pure hatred of the political system. He will at some point need to offer more than just a few one liners if he wants to be president. Do you honestly see him compromising with congress, I think he is used to getting his own way and that is not conducive to the position.
He has one thing in his favor. He has a long history of negotiating with other business people. It takes give and take to get a new contract and he knows how to drive a bargain. We haven't had that in some time. He also seems to know how to use the press to his advantage in spite of their disdain for him. I agree that he is probably not going to get the nomination but I think that people are selling him a little short and that is the reason they are surprised with his resiliency,

Old 08-21-2015, 12:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
He has one thing in his favor. He has a long history of negotiating with other business people. It takes give and take to get a new contract and he knows how to drive a bargain. We haven't had that in some time. He also seems to know how to use the press to his advantage in spite of their disdain for him. I agree that he is probably not going to get the nomination but I think that people are selling him a little short and that is the reason they are surprised with his resiliency,
I agree. I only wish Hillary would do half as many interviews as Trump.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:44 PM

119 posts, read 95,572 times
Quote:
And he did a pretty good job, considering what he had to work with. I was actually surprised when he and McCain didn't just say " never mind. I dont want this job."

They were both true statesmen to step up at the plate they were handed.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:52 PM

594 posts, read 345,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
He is going to get a bump in the polls for continually using "Anchor Baby" even though the liberals & media are saying that this is an offensive term. That is new to me and I am half Puerto Rican.
The term is used becuase it makes perfect common sense. A foreign born mother, who has a child in the USA is now anchored to our country. Once her child reaches adulthood it can start the chain migration of the entire family.

Anchor babies are not what the 14th amendment created, but its what people with problems in reading comprehension think it allows.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:55 PM

259 posts, read 178,757 times
Has Trump spoken out against labeling anything an atheist doesn't like a "War on XMas/Christianity"? Is he ok with the criticisms, however harsh they may be, of the military and police? Is he ok with the occasional personal attack on himself, as he and his supporters revel in dishing them and then accusing others of PC if they fight back? Is he OK with criticisms of American society and American foreign policy? Is he going to speak out against hiding behind the ridiculous "job creator" term whenever Wall Street is criticized? Is he going to speak out against patently ludicrous denials of climate change and evolution being air time and print in major media publications? A classic case of PC if there ever was one, as most ridiculous ideas can never even sniff the 10th page of a 2nd tier newspaper, much less given space in the New York Times.

If he's ok with all those, then I can believe that he's against PC. Something tells me though, that his and his lemmings' criticisms of PC are simply cries to talk s**t about Muslims, blacks, and gays with utterly no consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections