Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I like Bernie Sanders because he is a straight talker and while campaigning talks about the issues and specifically how problems can be solved, rather than personalities or himself. His ego does not get in the way. He may not be super sophisticated, but he is presidential material. He is also consistent and it is obvious there is no underlying hypocrisy to his motivation, and he seems like a genuinely caring person.

Trump, on the other hand is negative, crude and downright rude regarding others, constantly boasts about himself, his money, his homes, his business, etc. He basically never speaks an entire paragraph or sentence without throwing in something to boost his ego. Psychologically, people who need to constantly reinforce to others how smart, wealthy, popular, wonderful they are, are actually very insecure and it comes off as tacky. Trump's insecurities, thin skin and general rudeness belie his bluster. Not presidential material at all.

In addition, there is a line between 'straight talk' and just being crass. Bernie does not cross that while talking straight. Trump crosses it almost every time he opens his mouth.
Yep yep yep - I agree with everything you said.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:29 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
I am an immigrant myself and support Trump's straight talk.

Make America Great again!
We are not great any more? What's that conservative saying? Oh yeah, love it, or leave it.

Mick

Old 08-23-2015, 06:00 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Really? How so? Are you who should stand in judgement beyond your individual vote? I have seen many arrogant, condescending so and so's in politics for decades. Why is this one any different? Hey,, I don't like his attitude either and disagree with him on a number of topics, but, I do appreciate that the man is willing to speak his mind and not sugar coat what he says.
We have had far too many politicians of both parties that talk out of both sides of their mouth. Perhaps if more of them started laying out their own beliefs in an unapologetic manner and stopped speaking to us as if we were all idiots, maybe we could reach some agreement and solve some of our problems for a change.
Well, a few things:
  • A lack of tact
  • Being thin-skinned and unable to take criticism without firing back
  • A propensity to disrespect and insult others
  • Not very willing to listen to others or take advice or counsel

These are not going to be advantageous when you need the cooperation of others. In politics, you have far less control over people than in business.

You can talk straight, lay out your positions, you don't have to agree with others but you don't have to be rude and disrespectful. That is a distinction between being straight and just being plain nasty.

Trump's appeal, I think, plays to a guilty pleasure to many of us - he's someone who can act like a badly behaving 6 year old, and get away with it. However, when the rubber hits the road, you still want the grownups to be in charge.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:10 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
If Trump ever gets to be President - O'reilly will stop talking down to him. That's the key.
Haha, that's funny. I watched the Donald's interview yesterday on 'This Week' and man I cringe when I hear Trump try to explain his immigration policy -- When pressed for specifics, he said "It's called management, George!!" That line had me rolling. So now repugs wanna repeal the 14th amendment. Where is that righteous indignation when similar discussion pops up about the 2nd amendment?? Gimme my guns, but damn the constitution when it comes to children born on US soil and their right to citizenship. Repugs are something else.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
and barry had any experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Trump is the most unqualified person to be President amongst the choices of the GOP. He has never held office and he is only successful in NYC real estate development, which to be honest, is not difficult when one starts with a lot of money to begin with. NYC real estate is almost always guaranteed to increase in value, especially in Manhattan.

People need to see what happened in Atlantic City. Trump stole millions of dollars from investors and barely walked out of the city breaking even. He is just not that good of a businessman.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:32 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Oriental is a form from the latin word orentum ( spelling ) which means east.
so whats the problem that liberals have????

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
While I still think Trump is a jerk and a loose cannon, I do agree with some of what he says. I was just taken to task for calling a person "Oriental" when I guess the new term is "Asian" ! Aren't there Oriental rugs and the Orient Express ???

Where does all this pussyfooting end ??

Don

Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
It's not a liberal or conservative thing, it's a respect thing. As I've mentioned, I'm fine if it's used to describe carpets. It's archaic when used in the context of applying it to people. Do we still use "Negro" much to describe African Americans/black Americans today?

East /West- well that depends on perspective. I live in California, and Tokyo, Beijing, and Shanghai are all directly due WEST of San Francisco. So that kind of adds to the absurdity of using "oriental" as it is from a European perspective.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
and barry had any experience?
. . . . of holding office? Yeah, he was a US Senator and IL state senator.

Mick

Old 08-24-2015, 02:32 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Haha, that's funny. I watched the Donald's interview yesterday on 'This Week' and man I cringe when I hear Trump try to explain his immigration policy -- When pressed for specifics, he said "It's called management, George!!" That line had me rolling. So now repugs wanna repeal the 14th amendment. Where is that righteous indignation when similar discussion pops up about the 2nd amendment?? Gimme my guns, but damn the constitution when it comes to children born on US soil and their right to citizenship. Repugs are something else.
What's a "Repug"? The 2nd Amendment isn't being misinterpreted the 14th is. There's your answer.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
It's not the liberals, it's the Asians who have problems with that term. It's a pejorative slur. What's the problem with "WOP"? It stands for without paperwork. I don't get it. What's the problem with "s pi c"? That's just an acronym for Hispanic. I don't get it.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections