Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 04:57 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,981,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Arizona already has higher turnout than 2008 and Hillary won by 15%
And the alleged voter suppression, if true which I don't comment on, would not be able to overcome that amount anyways since it affects both Clinton and sanders supporters
Really? Arizona only had 409 000 votes from what I've seen, more than 10% lower than in 2008, which wasnt great either. Do you have a link to turnout percentage by year for AZ primaries?

I dont think you can say that a state with 6 hour long lines to vote and ongoing investigations of massive voter suppression is a good example of high voter turnout. And Sanders actually won same day voting in AZ.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
No it was not. The 2016 primary had a 46% turnout.

What you quoted is irrelevant. All of the Democratic candidates' names were on the ballot, and people voted regardless.
No, lots of people did not vote regardless and the results where thrown out by the DNC.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:48 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,980,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Really? Arizona only had 409 000 votes from what I've seen, more than 10% lower than in 2008, which wasnt great either. Do you have a link to turnout percentage by year for AZ primaries?

I dont think you can say that a state with 6 hour long lines to vote and ongoing investigations of massive voter suppression is a good example of high voter turnout. And Sanders actually won same day voting in AZ.
Unofficial 2016 Presidential Preference Election Results
They didn't bother to update the late votes
468k was more than 2008's 456k!
The late votes favored Sanders 52.5-47.5
But by no means can Sanders carry Arizona!

Old 04-05-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Unofficial 2016 Presidential Preference Election Results
They didn't bother to update the late votes
468k was more than 2008's 456k!
The late votes favored Sanders 52.5-47.5
But by no means can Sanders carry Arizona!
Lets wait and see what the voter suppression investigation says. It is not good to use such a state as a great example of a state with high voter turnout (was 2008 even the highest ever?).

Old 04-05-2016, 06:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
Ah, the ongoing attempt to prove that Hillary's 2.5 million more votes somehow don't count. Is that you, Tim Robbins?

Old 04-05-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Lets wait and see what the voter suppression investigation says. It is not good to use such a state as a great example of a state with high voter turnout (was 2008 even the highest ever?).
Either way there won't be a revote
Unless they know who you voted for and change the results, there is no way the results will not be honored because the so called suppression doesn't target any candidate specifically

Old 04-05-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Either way there won't be a revote
Unless they know who you voted for and change the results, there is no way the results will not be honored because the so called suppression doesn't target any candidate specifically
It heavily favored Clinton who had worked those early voters. Who knows how many Bernie supporters just left after waiting hours in line in scorching heat. 450k voters in a state of 7 million is not a lot.

GOP tactics to suppress the vote favors Clinton. The new voter ID laws in WI affecting young people in particular is another one.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
My rule of Thumb for predicting margins using aggregate polling(weighted towards better pollsters) is this:

Caucus favoring Bernie: Add 10% to the margin of victory for Sanders
Open primary: Add 5-10% to the margin of victory for Sanders
Semi-open primary favoring Bernie: Add 5% to the margin of victory for Sanders
Closed primary favoring Clinton: Add 5-10% to the margin of victory for Clinton

WI currently shows a 2.6% margin victory for Sanders in the aggregate polling on RCP. Since this is an open primary, I expect this to be more around a 5%-10% margin victory for Sanders...probably around 52:44 final vote count.

New York currently shows an 11% margin victory for Clinton, however there's only two polls. Clinton beat Obama by 57:40 or so in 2008 and that's with Obama having a stronger advantage in minorities(particularly blacks) than Sanders did. I actually expect a similar margin of victory for Clinton so somewhere around 56:41 or a 15% margin of victory because it's a closed primary and they heavily favor Clinton.
Hmmm, so far my margin seems pretty close...8%, but I think Bernie will win by 10% so my rule of thumb seems correct based on how this primary season has gone. Bernie will always overperform the RCP average when it's a caucus, semi or open primary and Clinton will overperform the RCP average when it's a closed primary. The exit polls in Wisconsin had her winning black voters by a near 50% margin and Democrats in Wisconsin are still choosing her over Bernie which bodes VERY well in New York, PA, and Maryland so Clinton just has to survive one more state(Wyoming), then it's time to rock and roll.

I expect both Clinton and Trump to put daggers in their respective opponents by April 26th.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,307,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Hmmm, so far my margin seems pretty close...8%, but I think Bernie will win by 10% so my rule of thumb seems correct based on how this primary season has gone. Bernie will always overperform the RCP average when it's a caucus, semi or open primary and Clinton will overperform the RCP average when it's a closed primary. The exit polls in Wisconsin had her winning black voters by a near 50% margin and Democrats in Wisconsin are still choosing her over Bernie which bodes VERY well in New York, PA, and Maryland so Clinton just has to survive one more state(Wyoming), then it's time to rock and roll.

I expect both Clinton and Trump to put daggers in their respective opponents by April 26th.
It's very likely Clinton will have it locked up by then, but it's entirely possible Trump won't have enough delegates to secure the nomination. That is, he'll have more delegates than anyone else, but won't have the majority of delegates. He'd still be the likely nominee, but getting there via a contested convention could be ugly.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:09 AM

New polls

National (McClatchy-Marist) : Sanders +2
Pennsylvania (Qunnipiac) : Clinton +6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
It's very likely Clinton will have it locked up by then, but it's entirely possible Trump won't have enough delegates to secure the nomination. That is, he'll have more delegates than anyone else, but won't have the majority of delegates. He'd still be the likely nominee, but getting there via a contested convention could be ugly.
I think Sanders now has all the energy, momentum and most importantly, money to run an impressive campaign.

Even though Hillary still leads by about 210 delegates after taking into account Wisconsin and Nevada new results, Sanders got about 239 delegates while Hillary got only 133 delegates since March 15th. There are still 1661 pledged delegates in upcoming contests and there is certainly a probable chance for Sanders to overtake her. Since the media includes superdelegates in delegate count, Hillary will likely be declared the Presumptive Nominee by MSM on the night California votes, regardless whether she still leads Sanders in terms of pledged delegates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.