Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Authenticity on what? Bernie has been in the Senate for 25 years and has accomplished nothing.
Do you figure that "getting things done" had anything to do with authenticity? Maybe, considering the nature of our government, the inability to "get along" is an indicator of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 AM

21,147 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
He knows how hard it is to make money and build a career and save for retirement. I'm proud of him.
Did you teach him that the government is going to steal money from his paycheck to give to those who don't know how hard it is "to make money and build a career and save for retirement"?

Old 02-20-2016, 08:42 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
That is true but the welfare recipients always vote blue.
Keep telling yourself that. Is the reason that God,Guns and Gays is front at center in the Red states

Old 02-20-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I'm just gonna say it: the people who think Bernie is only about free stuff are stupid.

I say that becasue in order to think that's what he's about, you have to completely ignore everything he actually says. There's a reason he calls healthcare and education a right and it's not because people are entitled to whatever they want. It's about utility.

Sort of like roads, Bernie believes that the government should fund things that make living in society better. Unfortunately for us, college is now basically necessary to work in a professional environment. It also is seeing exponential price increases, leaving students in massive debt. People in debt are usually pretty distracted by their debt that way they won't notice that they go to college to get a job to pay off the debt they got going to college to get a job to pay off the debt that they got...

See the issue?

If not, I'm still calling you stupid. I'm not asking anyone to start supporting Bernie. If you think his solutions aren't effective, that's completely valid. You are allowed to disagree with him. But don't reduce him to something he's not because you're not intellectually capable of arguing against him.

Bernie and Trump do both have a similar appeal. They're angry are fighting the establishment. In my mind, Bernie is more genuine. He's voted the same way for the same issues his entire life, which can't really be said about any other candidate beside maybe a guy like Ted Cruz (and in his case, I'm not sure that's a good thing; not that a small governmetn doesn't fully support telling gay people how to live...). He acts on principle and has a consistent ideology. I guess one could argue Hillary does too, but her ideology is promoting the interests of those who pay her. As is the case with many candidates. I guess it's up to you to decide if who's paying who is worth noting. Personally, I think a candidate who thinks for himself is preferable to one who does not.
I agree. Our current higher education and healthcare systems are totally broken Both are absorbing enormous amount of national GNP and creating massive debt.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:45 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Do you figure that "getting things done" had anything to do with authenticity?
Yes. I could promise you the moon and be as well-intentioned as hell in my promise to do so. But if I don't get it done, was I really being authentic? That's exactly why so many are disillusioned with Obama.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:47 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
I agree. Our current higher education and healthcare systems are totally broken Both are absorbing enormous amount of national GNP and creating massive debt.
The common factor in both is federal government interference in the free market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Did you teach him that the government is going to steal money from his paycheck to give to those who don't know how hard it is "to make money and build a career and save for retirement"?
I already I let him learn for himself. Here is well of government and private industry corruption (especially on Wall Street) and how the two feed each other.

1,057 posts, read 868,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
The problem with college education now a days it's not just tuition. In fact tuition hasn't increased dramatically but the food,housing and books that's where major cost is at. Since many of the best colleges are not in major cities the student has to leave their home and then costs explodes. That and the racket of student loans is the major issue in student debt
Maybe, but tuition is clearly the most costly expense. The other expenses can be managed by saving, working part time jobs or obtaining financial aid. My room and board and books were not that expensive since I had 3 roommates to share costs.

And i don't think Bernie is planning on for non tuition expenses

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
While I often wonder about your viewpoint regarding the economy etc., I totally agree with you that your son getting interested in the political happenings is a very good thing. Whether it is supporting Bernie or someone running for mayor, it is a good thing.

For those who are dissing the sons support of Bernie, have you always supported the same philosophy for your entire life? I doubt it. People learn, grow and form new viewpoints. I would rather have a 26 year old being for something than a 26 year old be for nothing.
I'm not sure how - but my son has always been interested in politics. Well, since 2008 (and he was young). He's now almost 21 and a full-time student. He's also a Bernie fan.

Bernie is WAY to far left for me to consider voting for him but it is good that he's gotten young people interested. Unfortunately, the ones that I have met online (not necessarily here) seem to be quite vulgar and obnoxious.

It's weird to me that they proclaim Bernie as such a straight up guy and they behave totally differently. It doesn't fit with their proclaimed ideals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
I bet we can dig up some old Obama threads and you guys were saying the same things then. "Yes we can!" Is now "feel the bern"
Nope. I never have fallen for ANYONE'S campaign slogan. Anyone that does is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
They might be the biggest welfare states but everyone knows that the welfare recipients in those states vote blue.
That is entirely false. Look at Appalachia; I guarantee they will overwhelmingly vote for Trump and most of them are poorer than dirt.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The common factor in both is federal government interference in the free market.
I prefer to see it as Billionaire Class interference into government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections