Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 10:34 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,987,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Maybe so, but Trump's plan isn't better than Obamacare, so why propose a NEW plan that is worse?

I don't think it's a selling point to say, 'my plan is bad but it's not as bad as the one Cruz or Rubio want.'
Exactly.

It is still a plan that leaves millions of people without health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,619,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This part of his plan gets me:

4.Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.

How would this really work? Would you get interest on the money if you left it in there and never used it? Say one of your kids got sick and you had a huge HSA. Would you have to give the money to your kid for them to use? Or what if you got sick and you didn't want to use it. Could you give the money to a family member and play poverty?
Doesn't anybody understand what a HSA is? and how it functions?

You'd not get interest on the money If you don't use it you lose it.
You put in money per paycheck - pre tax. You must use that money by the end of the calendar year, or you lose it. You can spend it on anyone in 'your plan' - but you can't take a trip to your favorite vacation spot using that money. You can't transfer that money to anyone who's not on your plan.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:07 AM

7,978 posts, read 9,189,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Doesn't anybody understand what a HSA is? and how it functions?

You'd not get interest on the money If you don't use it you lose it.
You put in money per paycheck - pre tax. You must use that money by the end of the calendar year, or you lose it. You can spend it on anyone in 'your plan' - but you can't take a trip to your favorite vacation spot using that money. You can't transfer that money to anyone who's not on your plan.
That is NOT what an HSA plan is. You are thinking about a FSA which does end at the end of the year. A HSA does not follow those rules, you can keep it forever.

Trump proposed allowing people to open HSAs even for those plans that currently aren't HSA eligible.

I purchase my own insurance. Deductible is over 11K per year, but it is not HSA compatible because it covers 3 free doctor visits a year. I would love to have this aspect of Trump's plan as it will enable to put aside money in a tax deductible plan to cover the astronomical deductible of my very expensive ($1200 per month) ACA compatible plan.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:07 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,741,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Maybe so, but Trump's plan isn't better than Obamacare, so why propose a NEW plan that is worse?

I don't think it's a selling point to say, 'my plan is bad but it's not as bad as the one Cruz or Rubio want.'
I agree with you 100%. I won't vote for anyone who runs on the "repeal Obamacare" platform. It's by no means perfect and needs significant improvements but repeal is just not an option in my opinion. I had actually considered voting for Trump but not now. I'll go for Hillary.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
If we do not require people to buy insurance,and they do not want it,then those same people cannot complain when the ER refuses to treat them.

Why do we expect hospitals to treat people for free?
The workers have to be paid too.

DO we expect car mechanics to fix broken cars for free? NO
So why are hospitals any different?

People should be require to buy health insurance.

YOu have to buy car insurance,so why not something more important like health?

I say revoke EMTALA.

Do not want to buy inusrance?
You want to play with fire(in this case your health) do not complain when you get burned(in which case the ER turns you away for lack of pay)
The problem is a lack of competition, cost controls and transparency. It's like saying everyone must buy a new car and that new car must be a Mercedes Benz. For a large number of people after buying and paying for that Mercedes Benz, they can't use it for years.

I say that as a supporter of UHC. Obamacare is a complete joke.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:06 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,001,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Nothing about pre existing conditions? What are unemployed people going to do to get the healthcare they need?
Here's an idea - work to get to a place where you can afford it. You know, instead of stealing my money to fund your healthcare. Then causing my rates to rise.

What are unemployed people doing now? Costs for insurance are through the roof, and involve HUGE deductibles.

FYI - I have a pre-existing condition, as does my husband. We both managed to get affordable healthcare on our own before the disaster called ObamaCare became law. It involved catastrophic care and and an HSA account. And choice.

Of course libs will hate this - it takes the nanny state out of the mix.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Exactly.

It is still a plan that leaves millions of people without health insurance.
As does Obamacare.

33 Million Americans Still Don’t Have Health Insurance | FiveThirtyEight

And even those who did get insurance can't actually afford to use it.

http://www.pnhp.org/news/2015/septem...t-doctors-grou

My deductibles went way up despite Obama's promises of me saving $5000 a year.

I at least did get to keep my doctor unlike so many.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-plan-keep-it/

Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I have a plan that I can afford, and while the deductible is not low, it's still better than not having health insurance. Trust me, I know what that's like only too well. And under Trump's "plan" I would know it again.

Pay for what? This is a non-plan. It will cost nothing because it will do nothing.
I'm guessing your plan is subsidized? Otherwise, if you can afford it now, you would be able to afford it then.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:11 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,380,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Funny how Sanders proposes single payer Medicare for all and for his supporters it's just a given that all the pieces will flow into place and everything will be just fine.
Trump announces a preliminary plan (he hasn't even been officially nominated yet, remember?) and chaos and pandemonium along with instantaneous criticism are already flying all over the place here.
LOL. It's amusing.
The medicare system is a system that is already in place, it would be easy to transition people into it. It won't happen because the health insurance lobbyists have greased too many palms in Congress, but it's entirely feasible. Trump simply wants to destroy the system that is already in place, as imperfect as it is, it's better than what we had before. Any people base their vote on the policy proposals of candidates, they usually don't just wait until they are elected to see what they will do with a major issue as healthcare

Old 03-03-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Anytime the government gets out of something, the costs go UP. They don't start to go down until the government gets involved again. If you don't believe me, look at the electricity market in California.
What? The free market is in play in Texas, and costs are affordable there.

You truly believe that government causes costs to go DOWN? Hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections