Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 12:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times

Advertisements

The US system is not super speedy either...more often than not, I have to wait several months just for a check up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 12:43 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,177,820 times
LA Times fisks Trumps Healthcare proposals:

'Beautiful' or basic? Donald Trump's healthcare plan includes little that's new - LA Times

Basically, it's nothing new, nothing beautiful, doesn't look like "winning."

Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,177,820 times
Obamacare has been good for me. It's worked well but I can see that there are reasons why it has worked so well:

1. I live in California and California welcomed Obamacare. They were an active participant in setting up the system. They tried to cover everyone.

2. I live in Los Angeles so I had lots and lots of choices. I ended up with a plan that even offers dental. Much cheaper than what I had before -- and better.

Trump's plan would kill all of this which means it's a very bad deal for me.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,183,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Here it is. I know everybody has been waiting for it:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...lthcare-reform

The seven basic points:

Congress must act. Our elected representatives in the House and Senate must:

1.Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.
Okay.

Quote:
2.Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.
Better would be to eliminate employer-based plans, by taxing the snot out of them. Aside from that, this part will do nothing but lead to a series of acquisitions and mergers creating "too big to fail" insurance companies.

Also, the cost of insurance is based upon the price of medical care. Unless you work to drive down the price of medical care, the cost of insurance will always remain high.

Quote:
3.Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.
Okay.

Quote:
4.Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.
Don't see where that provides any great advantages.

Quote:
5.Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.
This is an absolute must and a key factor in driving down medical costs, which will in turn drive down insurance costs.

Quote:
6.Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.
That's a step in the right direction.

Quote:
7.Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.
Anything that drives health care toward the Free Market is welcome.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I asked a couple from UK who came to stay in our house, it's only good if it's emergency, not for preventive medicine. You have to wait for a long time.
lol that's good. You formed an opinion about the healthcare system of a large nation based on what someone staying at your house told you..hmm. Maybe you should have asked them if in the UK, single non-disabled adults who are low income receive no health insurance, not even for medical catastrophes. And as they looked at you in disbelief, you could have proven to them that in 19 states if you don't have kids and are under 55 and earn less than $11,700 a year you don't qualify for health insurance or ACA subsidies

The Coverage Gap: Uninsured Poor Adults in States that Do Not Expand Medicaid

Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The US system is not super speedy either...more often than not, I have to wait several months just for a check up.
Not for me. But I think it maybe years, not months.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:59 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol that's good. You formed an opinion about the healthcare system of a large nation based on what someone staying at your house told you..hmm. Maybe you should have asked them if in the UK, single non-disabled adults who are low income receive no health insurance, not even for medical catastrophes. And as they looked at you in disbelief, you could have proven to them that in 19 states if you don't have kids and are under 55 and earn less than $11,700 a year you don't qualify for health insurance or ACA subsidies

The Coverage Gap: Uninsured Poor Adults in States that Do Not Expand Medicaid
Look my niece is a doctor in the UK, I have half of my family lives in the UK. I only asked them specifically because things might have changed that I didn't know.
Those low income pays nothing. Trust me, when my husband was in the hospital, the guy who shared the same room was either homeless or poor. He told my husband he paid nothing. I know you are the complaining sort of poster. Nothing is enough for you. Not health care, not retirement, nothing.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you had read what you posted I doubt if you would have been so anxious to share it. Look at who is uninsured; 7 million are illegal immigrants - would you be happy if Congress had included them in the ACA? 3.8 million are people who would be insured if the state they live in had opted into expanded medicaid. A large number are young 'invincibles' who don't think they need insurance.

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wo...ed-1.png?w=575

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wo...ed-3.png?w=575
I support UHC......that covers every American. Obamacare does not and you cherry picked my post. No comment on how people can't even afford to use the insurance even when they have it?

How about Obama's lies to get it to pass? If you have to lie to get something to pass, it's obviously not the answer.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I asked a couple from UK who came to stay in our house, it's only good if it's emergency, not for preventive medicine. You have to wait for a long time.
Preventive is things like regular check ups. You can schedule them a year in advance.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah, this is why I continue to say all Trump does is cut out the middle man.
That needs to be done.

Health insurers watch profits soar as they dump small business customers | Center for Public Integrity

Is soaring profits what we elected Obama to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections