Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
And Cruz is not a liar ?
I love your defense. "Well Cruz lied too".

Lol they all lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 04:27 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I love your defense. "Well Cruz lied too".

Lol they all lie.
You said "He isn't fond of liars" ...

If he would have said "Trump offended the Mexicans & Muslims", I get it.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:35 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axes View Post
Following your logic, they don't want Cruz or Kasich either....by a larger margin
Which is probably true. But the poster I was responding to was claiming that Trump had the popular vote locked up. I was pointing out that he doesn't. At this point it doesn't appear any current GOP candidates will be able to capture a majority of the party's votes.

The GOP, more so than the Democrats, is a coalition party made up of different factions with very divergent goals. Trump has tapped into one very dissatisfied faction who has been feeling used and abused by establishment Republicans for years now.

But they are only one faction of that coalition. The mistake they make is thinking there are enough of them to overcome the more mainstream Republicans. There aren't, which is why Trump hasn't been able to get to 50 percent in any single primary. And you can't call yourself the most popular candidate when you continually fail to garner even half of your party's vote.

It's going to be very interesting to see who ends up on the top of their ticket. No matter who it is, at least one faction of the coalition isn't going to be happy.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Which is probably true. But the poster I was responding to was claiming that Trump had the popular vote locked up. I was pointing out that he doesn't. At this point it doesn't appear any current GOP candidates will be able to capture a majority of the party's votes.

The GOP, more so than the Democrats, is a coalition party made up of different factions with very divergent goals. Trump has tapped into one very dissatisfied faction who has been feeling used and abused by establishment Republicans for years now.

But they are only one faction of that coalition. The mistake they make is thinking there are enough of them to overcome the more mainstream Republicans. There aren't, which is why Trump hasn't been able to get to 50 percent in any single primary. And you can't call yourself the most popular candidate when you continually fail to garner even half of your party's vote.

It's going to be very interesting to see who ends up on the top of their ticket. No matter who it is, at least one faction of the coalition isn't going to be happy.
Why not if every other candidate is way behind you in votes ?

Old 04-06-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Why not if every other candidate is way behind you in votes ?
Because the total number of people who are NOT supporting you is greater than the total number of people who ARE.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
You said "He isn't fond of liars" ...

If he would have said "Trump offended the Mexicans & Muslims", I get it.
I don't think you understand the point at all. You keep deflecting and backtracking while trying to make excuses for your candidate.

It's not working well for you.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Because the total number of people who are NOT supporting you is greater than the total number of people who ARE.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp.
Doesn't matter in this case ... Trump has a much better chance of garnering Independent and Dem votes in a general election.

17 candidates to start - down to 3 and Trump is the only party outsider. H's got 37% of the vote so far and that will probably climb above 40% with the Northeast primaries and Cali.

If you toss in the fact, the GOP establishment has done everything in its power to stop Trump, I consider the 37% quite remarkable.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I don't think you understand the point at all. You keep deflecting and backtracking while trying to make excuses for your candidate.

It's not working well for you.
You don't have a point and whatever Cruz is doing is not working well enough for him.

See the Northeast polls for a reality check and I'll look for you on 4/20 and 4/27 for your "excuses".

Old 04-06-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
You don't have a point and whatever Cruz is doing is not working well enough for him.

See the Northeast polls for a reality check and I'll look for you on 4/20 and 4/27 for your "excuses".
I don't support Cruz either. I'm voting for none of the primary party candidates so I really couldn't care less about whatever excuses you might think I am seeking to make.

I just really dislike Trump.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter in this case ... Trump has a much better chance of garnering Independent and Dem votes in a general election.

17 candidates to start - down to 3 and Trump is the only party outsider. H's got 37% of the vote so far and that will probably climb above 40% with the Northeast primaries and Cali.

If you toss in the fact, the GOP establishment has done everything in its power to stop Trump, I consider the 37% quite remarkable.
When you consider that means that 63% of Republicans don't support him, I don't consider 37% to be remarkable at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections