Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 AM

1,050 posts, read 698,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Then he is a hypocrite; in taking this issue on - he points the finger at only one person when, in reality, he is saying that Obama is unqualified; John Kerry is unqualified; Elizabeth Warren is unqualified and I hope that Hillary starts to point that out.
He's been saying that Citizens United needs to be overturned.

He's running against Hillary and he's pointed out the disproportionate amount of funds she's raised from banks and corporate interests in her bid. He raises the question, "How can anyone stand for Progressive causes when they are receiving so much $$$ form anti Progressive groups/corporations?" There is a conflict of interests clearly

Now those are not his exact words-- I am paraphrasing. I put it in quotes because I am showing a question anyone could infer by looking at this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
When all this first started ~ I was so proud that the Democrats had such two good candidates. I was prepared to vote for either one and though that we would all work together. Sanders supporters quickly disabused me of that notion.
I voted for Sanders in the primary, and like you, I was proud of the fact that the Democrats had two candidates I could happily support. Even though Sanders wasn't a Democrat, I was happy to let him campaign on the party ballot. But if his purpose is to tear the party apart, then he should have run as an independent.

Right now I am none to happy with him. He has good ideas that were winning over voters. He didn't need to go negative on Clinton, but the fact that he has is making me rethink my support.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
He's been saying that Citizens United needs to be overturned.

He's running against Hillary and he's pointed out the disproportionate amount of funds she's raised from banks and corporate interests in her bid. He raises the question, "How can anyone stand for Progressive causes when they are receiving so much $$$ form anti Progressive groups/corporations?" There is a conflict of interests clearly

Now those are not his exact words-- I am paraphrasing. I put it in quotes because I am showing a question anyone could infer by looking at this issue.
Both Obama and Hillary want CU overturned. I want CU overturned! Fully agree with getting big money out of politics. But, until that happens, this IS the system and I don't blame those who have to work within it.

Again ~ why does he not criticize Obama for his accepting superpac funds? It's only Hillary that has a conflict.

Bernie's senior advisor previously worked for a wealthy law firm that defended (gasp) Monsanto! And Lehman Brothers!

How can Bernie have such a conflict on his own staff?

All I am saying is that Bernie is NOT pure; has never been pure and trots this argument out ONLY when it suits him.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:15 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Both Repub and Dem parties have disenfranchised their bases, they take all the goodies for themselves and their wealthy backers....left the scraps for the middle class if there were any

We'll see how these parties look after this election
African Americans are a HUGE part of the Democratic base and it's Sanders and his surrogates and supporters who keep disenfranchising them by saying their votes don't count because they are in red states (but of course Bernie's WHITE red state votes in teeny little caucus states mean everything)

Old 04-07-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Both Obama and Hillary want CU overturned. I want CU overturned! Fully agree with getting big money out of politics. But, until that happens, this IS the system and I don't blame those who have to work within it.

Again ~ why does he not criticize Obama for his accepting superpac funds? It's only Hillary that has a conflict.

Bernie's senior advisor previously worked for a wealthy law firm that defended (gasp) Monsanto! And Lehman Brothers!

How can Bernie have such a conflict on his own staff?

All I am saying is that Bernie is NOT pure; has never been pure and trots this argument out ONLY when it suits him.
Bernie could say that he has the revolutionary idea that the sun should rise in the east tomorrow morning and his supporters would gasp and say that's amazing and he's the only one saying that. And then of course he'd say "and let's not let the sun rise on Wall Street."

Old 04-07-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
African Americans are a HUGE part of the Democratic base and it's Sanders and his surrogates and supporters who keep disenfranchising them by saying their votes don't count because they are in red states (but of course Bernie's WHITE red state votes in teeny little caucus states mean everything)
Bernie doesn't disenfranchise anybody.

He never said their votes didn't count.

Sure Blacks make up a large part of the Democratic base, but they aren't the only Democrats.

When the issue of the southern states being red comes up, it simply means that typically they ultimately vote Republican in a presidential election, that is backed up by history.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Bernie doesn't disenfranchise anybody.

He never said their votes didn't count.

Sure Blacks make up a large part of the Democratic base, but they aren't the only Democrats.

When the issue of the southern states being red comes up, it simply means that typically they ultimately vote Republican in a presidential election, that is backed up by history.
Half of Bernie's wins are also in red states. But somehow, Tim Robbins wasn't up there saying that Kansas was the same as Guam.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:

Where has Bernie or his support team tried to disqualify vote totals or election results? When Hillary was carrying most of the swing states in the 08 primary she made similar comments about electability. I felt it was a valid comment then and now. But it also does not change the actual vote totals that count towards a nomination.

The truth is AA voters are disproportionately Democratic but many huge AA populations are in states that are never going blue. The opposite is also true where a 5%-10% AA population can be the difference maker in a swing state.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I voted for Sanders in the primary, and like you, I was proud of the fact that the Democrats had two candidates I could happily support. Even though Sanders wasn't a Democrat, I was happy to let him campaign on the party ballot. But if his purpose is to tear the party apart, then he should have run as an independent.

Right now I am none to happy with him. He has good ideas that were winning over voters. He didn't need to go negative on Clinton, but the fact that he has is making me rethink my support.
He can't just sit there and keep turning the other cheek as they bombard him.

At some point, if they don't let up (and Hillary and the MSM haven't), he's going to have to defend himself and say exactly what he thinks in response to the very things they've been saying, which is pretty nasty stuff and dirty tricks

Old 04-07-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Half of Bernie's wins are also in red states. But somehow, Tim Robbins wasn't up there saying that Kansas was the same as Guam.
Which states, the Plains states? --different demographics, different culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections