Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times

Advertisements

If not, you have no say how a private organization runs its selection process.

They are not privately stamping out widgets or making sausage, they are appointing a PRESIDENT. I and the people of this country may not have a say but that alone is good reason to stamp out private organizations like this.

There should be nothing private about the election of a president. That private power is precisely what makes a joke of the election process.

Bernie is trying to point that out but most people are too stupid to be able to comprehend what he is saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 10:22 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
What is it about Colorado? There is just something off about those people it seems.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
Shouldn't election be won by the person who gets the most votes? Shouldn't it be as simple as any other countries in the world?

Or should it have obscure rules to benefit the main players who gets to nominate with bogus delegate rules. Wait the biggest democracy in the world and still they are rigging it to benefit them.

Welcome to the US of A
There is a huge difference between choosing a party's candidate and who will or is fairly elected in a general election. The primaries are not the same as a general election. If it was the same, why bother to even have conventions? A party affiliation is part of a private group of individuals; how a state sets up their selection or how a party sets up the rules isn't the same as voting for the final candidate. I am having trouble understanding why so many can't accept this or understand it?

Old 04-15-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
They changed the rules in August when Trump's popularity was evident, especially in a more liberal/purple or swing states.

I think the GOP is just practicing voter suppression on a small scale to see what they can get away with. They are trying various tactics; Arizona is another example. It's depressing that citizens of this country are okay with this.
Give me a break: Trumps popularity was not evident in August or even Sept or Oct. Most still thought it was a fad. It was toward the end of the year he was being taken seriously.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:45 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,267,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There is a huge difference between choosing a party's candidate and who will or is fairly elected in a general election. The primaries are not the same as a general election. If it was the same, why bother to even have conventions? A party affiliation is part of a private group of individuals; how a state sets up their selection or how a party sets up the rules isn't the same as voting for the final candidate. I am having trouble understanding why so many can't accept this or understand it?

any process to elect our government officials at the state or federa that doesn't include the direct participation of the people is flawed.

to get to the general you have to win the primary of the 2 main parties of the country.......both process goes hand in hand, unless there is a direct path to get to the general by skipping the primary process because both parties have made it nearly impossible to do that.

if it winner takes all delegates or proportional based on the % of the votes, it has to have the direct participation of the people, if it don't then its flawed.

why you keep defending what Colorado did its beyond me....if you defend what Colorado did then have it for all 50 states and let the party bosses select their candidate. I will bet Jeb Bush will love that.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There has been many stories noting the displeasure of the GOP voters in Colorado. From burning their registrations to personally letting those who made this decision thier displeasure.
the secret word here is: Stories, but where is the factual proof? There is none. Anyone can claim anything; one or two possible upset people who preferred another candidate isn't a major issue or it shouldn't be. Why do I see a repeat of 2012 only it is the Trump followers instead of the Paul followers? They are always telling the world their God is being cheated?

Old 04-15-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
any process to elect our government officials at the state or federa that doesn't include the direct participation of the people is flawed.

to get to the general you have to win the primary of the 2 main parties of the country.......both process goes hand in hand, unless there is a direct path to get to the general by skipping the primary process because both parties have made it nearly impossible to do that.

if it winner takes all delegates or proportional based on the % of the votes, it has to have the direct participation of the people, if it don't then its flawed.

why you keep defending what Colorado did its beyond me....if you defend what Colorado did then have it for all 50 states and let the party bosses select their candidate. I will bet Jeb Bush will love that.
I am defending the right of both a private organization to make rules and states to set their election rules. I happen to think, like many do, primary cross over voting is wrong as well, but I don't say candidates have been cheated because people from another side crossed over. How do you feel about that? Does a person from another party have the right to choose who represents my party?

Old 04-15-2016, 11:06 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,267,873 times
Quote:
I am defending the right of both a private organization to make rules and states to set their election rules. I happen to think, like many do, primary cross over voting is wrong as well, but I don't say candidates have been cheated because people from another side crossed over. How do you feel about that? Does a person from another party have the right to choose who represents my party?

you defend rules to disenfranchise millions of voters? lol

So you are saying Democrats and Independents are not welcome in the party? good luck in growing the party.

They can vote for the Republican candidate in the general but not in the primary process?

by the way, Colorado disenfranchise million of voters in the state.....they could have done a closed primary or semi-closed.....just have the people of Colorado vote directly and have a say, not party bosses.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:13 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
the secret word here is: Stories, but where is the factual proof? There is none. Anyone can claim anything; one or two possible upset people who preferred another candidate isn't a major issue or it shouldn't be. Why do I see a repeat of 2012 only it is the Trump followers instead of the Paul followers? They are always telling the world their God is being cheated?
There is a reason they have went into hiding and won't come out to defend their actions.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you defend rules to disenfranchise millions of voters? lol

So you are saying Democrats and Independents are not welcome in the party? good luck in growing the party.

They can vote for the Republican candidate in the general but not in the primary process?

by the way, Colorado disenfranchise million of voters in the state.....they could have done a closed primary or semi-closed.....just have the people of Colorado vote directly and have a say, not party bosses.
Have I or anyone else ever said anyone was not welcomed into any party? Of course not. Change your registration and vote for that party, but don't try and decide who should be the choice of the party you are not part of. Hubby and I actually did just that, in 1968. We were not about to vote for Reagan we didn't think, but we couldn't support Pat Brown. We reregistered and voted for Sam Yorty in the primary. He was as conservative or maybe more so than Reagan but was a democrat. Obviously he did not get the nomination. Pat Brown did. We supported Reagan. BTW: we did switch our party affiliation back to R shortly after that.

Now, to be honest, why is what happened in Colo. such a big thing to Trump groupies? You are telling us over and over he has the nomination sewed up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections