Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:02 PM

5,044 posts, read 7,419,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
I am sure this has been asked before but I want to know what the reasoning is in people's minds to think liberal/democrat?

Why do you like Hillary Clinton?

Why do you like Bernie Sanders?

What is it about the way republican's/conservatives think that rub you the wrong way?

I am a conservative born and raised. I have lived in the mid-west my entire life and I honestly just do not understand how people can be for abortion, for letting people of every gender in any bathroom they choose, why people are against guns, why saying the pledge of allegiance in schools is not okay any more, why kids HAVE to learn about other religions but learning about Christianity is wrong?

If someone could take the time to respectfully answer these questions I would appreciate it.
I was conservative born and raised, so were my parents, yet they were pro-choice, anti-gun, said the pledge of allegiance, but didn't want religion in the public schools--- there are private schools for that. I got my religious education in church and at home. They always voted Republican and would never have voted for a Democrat. In their generation, Democrat/Republican was like blue-collar/white collar, a class thing.

I became a Democrat once I went to college and discovered the conservative students were racist, sexist, anti-Semitic, and homophobic beyond belief. At first I thought they were just joking, but soon it became clear it was no joke. I could not associate with them anymore. And I wanted to associate with the diverse people on the Democratic side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,897 times
This question was asked before, and here is my reply. It's more along the lines of "why I would never vote Republican":

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...l#post43202437

Old 04-08-2016, 10:21 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
... the conservative students were racist, sexist, anti-Semitic, and homophobic beyond belief ...
This /\ ............ I live in a RED state and I have nothing in common with my 2 senators and House rep.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:42 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,174,356 times
Liberals believe that, if we all work together, we can accomplish great things while respecting our individuality.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:59 AM

891 posts, read 1,054,493 times
Conservatives are Close Minded and Liberals are Open Minded... Thats About it Honestly........

Old 04-09-2016, 10:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
You are conservative born and raised because you were born and raised a conservative.

Live in an urban area for a while and make friends with people outside your demographic, and things may begin to make more sense to you.
^^^. This.

I grew up in the deep South as part of a military family. As we moved around and I eventually ended up in a more urban area ~ many of my beliefs were changed. Largely by meeting people who were a part of (insert demographic here) that I had previously disapproved of.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:35 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
^^^. This.

I grew up in the deep South as part of a military family. As we moved around and I eventually ended up in a more urban area ~ many of my beliefs were changed. Largely by meeting people who were a part of (insert demographic here) that I had previously disapproved of.
I was born and raised in a middle class urban/suburban area. I had strong prejudices towards those in the south. Then joined AmeriCorps and served full time for 10 months throughout several Southern states, mostly in poor areas. There are some prejudices I felt were reinforced, but others totally obliterated.

There are fundamental differences in people's outlooks, but how contentious we can be towards each other has gotten absurd. My (southern) wife and I voted for Sanders, and her family votes exclusively republican. But on the day to day it doesn't change how we help and support each other.

Just as an example, they are vehemently against abortion. My wife and I don't particularly like the idea of an abortion, but don't think it should be outlawed (or made so burdensome that it effectively becomes illegal), and think we should be doing more to prevent unwanted pregnancies through reformed education and cost effective contraceptives. A good conservative friend of mine is strong in his christian faith, but I learned later he had a girlfriend in highschool who had an abortion because they felt they were too young. Took me by surprise. But after talking to him I could tell he felt very conflicted by it. We're all flawed humans.

I think conservatives and liberals should spend more time outside of their comfort zones.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:43 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
I grew up Democrat and favored them politically when first I stated voting. I agree with Dem positions on minimum wage raises, most gay rights issues, legalizing weed, the former Dem position on free speech and equal rights. But the white male Christian hating Gestapo progressives have taken over the Dem Party so I now fight them however I can.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:44 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
I am sure this has been asked before but I want to know what the reasoning is in people's minds to think liberal/democrat?

Why do you like Hillary Clinton?

Why do you like Bernie Sanders?

What is it about the way republican's/conservatives think that rub you the wrong way?

I am a conservative born and raised. I have lived in the mid-west my entire life and I honestly just do not understand how people can be for abortion, for letting people of every gender in any bathroom they choose, why people are against guns, why saying the pledge of allegiance in schools is not okay any more, why kids HAVE to learn about other religions but learning about Christianity is wrong?

If someone could take the time to respectfully answer these questions I would appreciate it.
I am also a conservative, and I like clear thinking liberals, there are a lot of CD posters are clear thinking liberals. I will only concentrate on the positive.

i like these liberal Democrats because they are able to see both sides of the argument.

Why do I like Bernie Sanders?

I like him because he believes in getting big money out of politics and restore Democracy. For this alone, he is an American hero. Bernie wants to move towards public funding of elections to promote a more even playing field where all Americans can participate.

I like Bernie Sanders because record shows that he is a candidate fights for all Americans. He is NOT a community leader.

I like Bernie Sanders because he is the ONLY candidate who put American interests before Israel (although I love Israel and believe Israel has every single right to defend herself).

I like Bernie Sanders because he is definitely the most honest politician (relatively speaking)

Old 04-09-2016, 11:45 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Liberals believe that, if we all work together, we can accomplish great things while respecting our individuality.
Liberals don't respect individual rights. Nor do they encourage collaboration.

They lump people into groups and pit them against each other (blacks vs. whites, 99% vs. 1%, etc.) for their own political gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections