Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 03:06 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Translation: "I only believe a poll is accurate if Trump is leading in it. If he is not leading then it is somehow rigged."
That's the banana republic lingo used by the Liberal media paid by Soros.

George Soros Controls Smartmatic Voting Machines in 16 States : snopes.com

Old 10-21-2016, 03:06 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
BS.. look at the Rasmussen polls.. not paid by Hil-liar-y/Sorros. As of yesterday night, Trump 43%, Clingon 40%
Rasmussen has a very poor track record in polling.

Rasmussen predicted a Romney victory in 2012.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:09 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I don't think your condescending tone ("Educate yourself on reality") is useful. You do raise some correct points -- polling is an art form, there is some chance HRC will lose and a Trump win would mean the polls are wrong. However, you're missing the point of polls: it isn't to say this candidate is going to win or that candidate is going to lose. It is to give us some statistical insight into the likelihood of these scenarios. Right now, the likelihood is extremely high that HRC wins, and that won't be disproved by a Trump victory. A trump victory would simply mean that an unlikely event happened.

You should actually read the Brexit article you linked to. There some specific reasons the polls were wrong, including the "noise" introduced by the Jo Cox assassination. The Gallup poll you're referencing in 1980 was a single poll. This year, there are almost a dozen polls showing HRC with a significant margin. No, that doesn't mean she is a lock to win. It does, however, mean she is very likely to win.
Sorry about that comment.....I had that posted from another condescending poster I responded to in another post and copy/pasted along by accident.

Good points/understand where you're coming from. To me the biggest sticker is the supposed lack of inclusion of people who won't say they are going to vote from trump in polling that is supposedly taking place. And the huge number of undecided. Like I posted earlier, 21% I heard today in AZ are undecided supposedly on this race. Polling of course to be taken with a grain of salt but if we play "the polls are probably right", that's a huge number of undecideds that could break either way.

Donald Trump's 'Hidden' Support Could Turn Election - Or Not

As for being "dis-proven', that won't happen until election day if it's true or not. I can see some logic in it as being valid but to what extent?.....but again, we'll have to wait until election day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The reaction of Hillary supporters to anyone questioning the polls is very telling.

I've never said Trump is way up. In fact I've always said you need to take the polls with a grain of salt, even when Trump was up.

What I am telling people is that this election is not over already like Hillary supporters are claiming.

All Trump supporters have to do is go out and vote, and this will be either a close race, or a Trump win.
Yep, I agree.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:09 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
They either don't read that or they don't know how to understand it.

God, just two more weeks until this inane yammering comes to an end. Oh, wait, no - then they'll pivot directly from "polls are rigged" to "election was rigged." And they'll keep babbling about that for the next 4 years, because their masters on rightwing radio tell them to.

This whole forum is like an episode of "Welcome Back Kotter," with the high school debate team debating the illiterate juvenile delinquents who sit in the back of the class throwing spitballs and making fart jokes.
Just refall Trumps special counsel saying " What polls " on CNNm

Old 10-21-2016, 03:10 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
And you would trust polls by CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, CNBC, WApo and the rest? Soros is behind her(paid them 200 mil to persuade the sheeple in the US.) Vote Hillary and become a 3rd world country(wait in away it's already that).
Instead of believing polls, why not take a look at the odds the bookmakers and legal wagerers are giving? After all, they are putting up real money and willing to gamble money on the outcome. Not only that, but their odds are very accurate.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:19 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
And the huge number of undecided. Like I posted earlier, 21% I heard today in AZ are undecided supposedly on this race. Polling of course to be taken with a grain of salt but if we play "the polls are probably right", that's a huge number of undecideds that could break either way.
I agree that undecideds are the main source of election surprise, but most states don't have near this many undecideds. Nationally, I believe the number is under 10% now, and that number has been shrinking.

Quote:
Donald Trump's 'Hidden' Support Could Turn Election - Or Not

As for being "dis-proven', that won't happen until election day if it's true or not. I can see some logic in it as being valid but to what extent?.....but again, we'll have to wait until election day.
A lot of people floated this sort of effect in the primaries because Trump's rhetoric was even more divisive then than it is now. However, Trump generally performed in line with polling. There were deviations from polling in specific states, but nationally, the polls mostly got it right. There was no appreciable "secret Trump voter" effect.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:20 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
"Undoubtedly, America is becoming a Third World country — in fact, it already is".

America is Becoming a Third World Country
I read your link..and well...no---if you can get enough to eat...and water when you want it...basic needs met whenever they arise--when the ambulance always comes..the fire engines are at the door within minutes....there are more cars than people...and good roads to drive them on...when the vast majority work and have monthly incomes that equate to yearly incomes in other countries--we are not a 3rd world nation. No amount of pseudo-intellectual sophistry will change the basic fact that life is far better here than in most places.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:27 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
In the end you are getting nothing more than opinions from people, who might or might not vote yet took the polling survey, who might have taken a poll that was worded in a way that slanted them to answer it in such a way, etc.

Again, I suggest you read the references in my above post, especially thehill article and how polling is done and the limitations. And how especially in this race, many polling experts are saying many trump supporters won't admit they are voting for him. And living in our times of jaded/bias this and that and everything, it's all not to be trusted in my book.

So given this reality, the only poll that counts in my book is on election day. If you have 100% confidence in the polls, Las Vegas probably has lots of bets for you on all of this so you can make your fortune.
Yeah, most experts don't believe in the shy Trump voter. That's simply something partisans are banking on is all.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yeah, most experts don't believe in the shy Trump voter. That's simply something partisans are banking on is all.
I wrote an article about that early in the race, sometime in May I believe. I think that it was a factor in the spring and part of the summer, but my feeling was that as Trump became more widely accepted, and people became accustomed to seeing him being taken (somewhat) seriously, they would become less and less bashful about admitting they supported him. My conclusion was that by the time we got to the election, it would be a very minor factor. I still believe that to be true.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:39 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Today's State Polls:

Indiana: Trump 43%, Clinton 37%, Johnson 9% (Ball State)

Utah: Trump 30%, McMullin 29%, Clinton 25%, Johnson 5% (Dan Jones & Assoc)

Virginia: Clinton 45%, Trump 33%, Johnson 8% (Christopher Newport University)

Georgia: Trump 44%, Clinton 42%, Johnson 9% (Atlanta Journal Constitution)

Georgia: Trump 47%, Clinton 43%, Johnson 5% (Landmark)

Georgia: Trump 50%, Clinton 46%, Johnson 3% (Opinion Savvy)

Florida: Clinton 49%, Trump 45%, Johnson 3% (Opinion Savvy)

Maine: Clinton 42%, Trump 36%, Johnson 9% (Maine Peoples Resource Center)

Iowa: Clinton 41%, Trump 37%, Johnson 10% (Lucid)

Pennsylvania: Clinton 47%, Trump 38%, Johnson 7% (Lucid)

Ohio: Clinton 44%, Trump 39%, Johnson 7% (Lucid)

Indiana: Trump 43%, Clinton 37%, Johnson 10% (Lucid)

https://politicalwire.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections