Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Winner is Wallace. Loser is us.
Exactly so! Wallace was by far the best moderator I've seen in several elections. The candidates? No comment...

Old 10-20-2016, 09:17 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Exactly so! Wallace was by far the best moderator I've seen in several elections. The candidates? No comment...
I do agree that Wallace was SUPERB - best moderator I have EVER seen at such a debate - not just this election cycle, but ANY election cycle. He's very tough on both candidates but very fair AND he took no nonsense from the audience.

Ken

Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
based on what?......he passed NAFTA, that didn't help the working class
"Bill Clinton was certainly a supporter of NAFTA who pushed approval through Congress. But it was negotiated and signed by President George H.W. Bush. Moreover, more Republicans than Democrats voted for the deal, as the trade pact was vehemently opposed by labor unions. One key ally for Clinton was then-House Minority Whip Newt Gingrich
Quote:
........he ignored Al Qaeda and was too cozy with Saudi Arabia while Saudi's were in our soil training under our noses for 9/11.
The historical record shows that the Clinton administration was the first to label terrorism "'a national security issue,'" created a special CIA unit focusing specifically on Osama Bin Laden, and ordered missile attacks against the terrorist leader, while the Bush administration was warned 36 times -- including allegedly by Clinton himself -- about the terrorist threat prior to the attacks.
Quote:
he started the mass incarceration that put a lot of black Americans in jail.
The trend toward increased incarceration began in the early 1970s, and quadrupled in the ensuing four decades. A two-year study by the National Research Council... cited policies enacted by officials at all levels that expanded the use of incarceration, largely in response to decades of rising crime. “In the 1970s, the numbers of arrests and court caseloads increased, and prosecutors and judges became harsher in their charging and sentencing,” the report states. “In the 1980s, convicted defendants became more likely to serve prison time.” Indeed, this trend continued with tough-on-crime policies through the 1990s as well, but to lay the blame for the incarceration trend entirely, or even mostly, at the feet of the 1994 crime bill ignores the historical trend.
Quote:
But you admire that? lol
I don't like Bill Clinton, I never have liked him, but what I admire is reading posts that reflect the truth, not hyperbole

Old 10-20-2016, 10:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
This is the tough situation Trumpists find themselves in - and it happens to be the same tough situation that Bernie Bros. would have found themselves in: They both sought the White House by way of trying to co-opt the broad support of a political party that did not espouse their core values close enough to justify their running for the nomination of that party, and therefore they cannot escape the reality that "their own party" is responsible for much of what they don't like. They both hid behind the rationalization that there's no other way to grab power, but that's a dodge: The Republicans built support from 1854 to 1860, even earning the speakership before running for POTUS for the first time (and losing).

Old 10-20-2016, 11:59 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,120,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
McMullin makes my head hurt. He's such a nothingburger.

This is purely a Mormon protest vote.

Nothing more.
Indeed, nothing more than six EVs. Who needs them. lol

Mick

Old 10-20-2016, 12:59 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,536,509 times
Polls in which HRC's lead increases in 4-ways are popping up all over the place.

Fox 2 Detroit/Mitchell Poll, Michigan:

Clinton 51 (+13)
Trump 38
Johnson 6
Stein 2

H2H:
Clinton 53 (+12)
Trump 41
Mitchell Poll Results: Clinton Leads by 13% in Michigan before last debate - Story | WJBK

Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 PM

549 posts, read 292,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Obama didn't, not once, try to work with the Republicans, either when they were in the minority or afterwards.

What he did do was send legislation up to the Hill than he knew would be dead on arrival so he could then politicize the process and claim Congress was obstructionist.

Who was it that told the Republicans to sit down and shut up because elections have consequences. Or talked about bringing a gun to a knife fight.

He has been the poster child for a "My way or the highway" President.

You're entitled to opinions, not facts.
How's the weather there in UPSIDE DOWN world?

Here in REALITY, what happened is the exact opposite of what you say.

Courting their deplorable base, the republicans jumped on the "I hope he fails" train early on -- and did everything they could to "make sure he was a 1 term president". They were OBSTRUCTIONIST and went even further -- DISRESPECTING THE OFFICE in order to humiliate the guy. Repugnant.

...But hey -- SUBTERFUGE is the reactionary's "go to" tool. So you spout stuff like "Obama's a dictator" "he's a nazi!" and all other forms of nonsense.

Jeesh -- I wouldn't even want to understand the kind of mind that has to wallow in blatant lies all its life in order justify its world view ... hell - in order to get out of bed in the morning! I'd be afraid I might somehow get stuck in there.

Good lord -- it must SUCK to be that.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:44 PM

549 posts, read 292,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I agree 100%. My ballot is going in the mail today, and for the first time ever I am voting against every Republican on the ticket. In races where there was no one other than a Republican running, I voted for no one.

The only exception to this I would have considered would have been Jeff Flake, since he had the courage to come out against Trump right from the start, but he's not up for reelection this cycle.
Good work! You won't be alone, because I will be doing exactly the same.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Crystal Ball 2016 Electoral College Ratings

Old 10-20-2016, 02:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I agree 100%. My ballot is going in the mail today, and for the first time ever I am voting against every Republican on the ticket. In races where there was no one other than a Republican running, I voted for no one.

The only exception to this I would have considered would have been Jeff Flake, since he had the courage to come out against Trump right from the start, but he's not up for reelection this cycle.
Did the same thing. McConnell's pledge to obstruct made me do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections