Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 08:00 PM

19,041 posts, read 14,290,041 times

Advertisements

The Electoral College
-not what you thought-

America’s Founders created the Electoral College to prevent the Executive branch from becoming polarized by partisan politics. They despised the Parliamentary system in England, where the majority party filled the ministerial posts, from Prime minister on down, and who executed the laws enacted with bias for their own party.

Since it would be highly unlikely for the voters to be able to meet and examine all candidates for office, the solution was for the local electorate to choose one from among them whose judgment they trusted, to be an Elector in the Electoral College, investigate and examine the candidates, then cast two votes, limited to no more than one from their home state.

The genius of the original E.C. was that the candidate with the most votes would be president, but the next most votes would likely be his rival and his ‘vice’ (pun intended). Thus the V.P. could be the counterbalance to any partisanship or bias in the execution of the laws enacted by Congress, as well as the appointment to executive positions. Sadly, it worked too well and George Washington disliked his V.P., the fiery John Adams, and sought the amendment that made the E.C. vote for a team.

Unfortunately, once the executive was a team, there was nothing to prevent partisanship. Now, the political parties had a ripe plum - executive appointments - to pay off supporters.

It went downhill, after that.

But what would happen if the original recipe was restored, and parties were no longer fielding candidate teams and pledged electors?
● No more national campaigning
● No incessant political ads
● No need for campaign contributions (legal bribery)
● No partisan fighting
● No bar to poor, but suitable candidates

I, for one, would appreciate a return to the original E.C. A president is delegated power to execute the laws enacted by Congress, not be a super legislator nor dictator. He is the highest ranking public servant, chosen to serve the American people - not rule them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 08:07 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,363,196 times
I know you will probably get some crap for this and so will I for agreeing with you!

I think the original was genius. It should never have been changed.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,267,220 times
that woudl be stupid..

Old 11-12-2016, 08:12 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,429,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yeah right. It's the EXACT reason the Electoral College was put in to place. Liberals whining and boohooing about it doesn't change that fact.

None of you had one bit of an issue with it before the election. There were threads on City Data with the liberals GLOATING about how many of the ECV Hillary was going to take. Absolute gloating. So spare me the blubbering about how "unfair" it all is. We heard this same pissing and moaning when it was Gore vs Bush. Liberals need to grab some Kleenex and wipe that cry snot off of their faces, take some deep breaths, run a cold wash cloth over their faces, and accept reality.

Reality: PRESIDENT TRUMP! Feel that in your mouth.....PresidenT. TRUMP!
Well you are right. It is President Trump. But the first time I heard the EC was dumb was in Ms. Bitters class room roughly 59 years ago. And it has gotten no better.

Simply a flaw in the Constitution that is not fixable.

The mistake the founders clearly made was the 75% of the states. 75% of the voters perhaps...but never 75% of the states. The founders were obviously not all that smart or they would not have missed this one. Pretty close to stupid.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:13 PM

30,435 posts, read 23,889,858 times
You know what's going to happen, right? They are going to pretend this thread doesn't exist, or one or two of them will come along and twist your question every way to next Sunday until it no longer even comes close to discussing the topic at hand.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:15 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,000,026 times
I'm not petitioning for anything so I guess it's not applicable.

I think the protests(not riots, there have only been a few) are because of his hateful language. I think people have that right as long as they don't assault anyone or damage property.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:17 PM

2,034 posts, read 1,993,117 times
Here is my take on this. Here in California we had a proposition on the ballot a few years back regarding legalizing same sex marriage. The voters passed the initiative banning same sex marriage. The voters in support of same sex marriage took the matter to court because "Majority Rules" should not silence the minority regarding a questionable case regarding individual rights.

this is a similar case to the EC that individual large states (which are independent governments) will not silence the minority (smaller states).

So now we have democrats crying foul that it should be the popular vote and not the EC that determines the POTUS but didn't respect the democratic process regarding the same sex marriage initiative when the results didn't go their way.

Hypocritical

Old 11-12-2016, 08:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,160,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I'm not petitioning for anything so I guess it's not applicable.

I think the protests(not riots, there have only been a few) are because of his hateful language. I think people have that right as long as they don't assault anyone or damage property.
That sounds like a no to me.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:21 PM

516 posts, read 431,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Here is my take on this. Here in California we had a proposition on the ballot a few years back regarding legalizing same sex marriage. The voters passed the initiative banning same sex marriage. The voters in support of same sex marriage took the matter to court because "Majority Rules" should not silence the minority regarding a questionable case regarding individual rights.

this is a similar case to the EC that individual large states (which are independent governments) will not silence the minority (smaller states).

So now we have democrats crying foul that it should be the popular vote and not the EC that determines the POTUS but didn't respect the democratic process regarding the same sex marriage initiative when the results didn't go their way.

Hypocritical

Whats good for the goose isn't good for the gander. I'm a Union member in the trades and am going to be non union in a different line of work in the not so distant future because of the first 10 words of my post. My union is far left and it sickens me. The corruption runs deep in my local hall and its disgusting. Nepotism.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:24 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,000,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
That sounds like a no to me.
Obviously. I believe in rules. If people didn't like this result then they should change the system for future elections but now what is done is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections