Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 11:22 PM

21,507 posts, read 10,632,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I'm not petitioning for anything so I guess it's not applicable.

I think the protests(not riots, there have only been a few) are because of his hateful language. I think people have that right as long as they don't assault anyone or damage property.
They do have that right, but unfortunately assault and property damage has been happening. It also would probably be better to wait for Trump to actually do something objectionable before protesting. He hasn't served a day in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Hey liberals. If trump lost the electoral and won the popular, would you be petitioning for Trump to be president?

If Trump lost the electoral and won the popular, what do you think Trump and his supporters would be doing?

Anything liberals are doing now would pale in comparison.
What makes you think so? All those protests after McCain lost?

Old 11-12-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Nope. But I would be saying it needs to be changed. I want to live in a democracy.

It DOES need to be changed going forward.

I wish Trump had won the popular vote. If you look at my posting history you can probably find the post where I said this was one of the nightmare scenarios because of how it damages our democracy.
Ugh! We are not now nor ever have been a democracy!

Old 11-12-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
When the electoral college was enacted, there were 13 colonies......no computers. There was a reason, because of the lower populations in each colony; at least that is what I understand.

The system should be abolished. Now, in the high tech age, it seems too easy to manipulate the outcome.

The candidates would have to show up at every state and let us know what they stand for.

The PEOPLE of the USA, should have 1 vote/1 person. The president and Commander in Chief is for the PEOPLE of America, all PEOPLE not a few chosen states.

Thank you Max, I hope that the Constitution can be amended, we live in different times. We are not a nation of 13 colonies. We have grown since then. I hope that we don't forget until the next 4 years. That would also open up the election to more than 2 parties.

Just as the communication age has changed since the telephone was invented, the electoral college should be updated. The way it stands now, it seems like a game; not the seriousness that it should be.

There should also be a black out for the news medias until all the votes are tabulated. Some people are still voting, when the media is going nuts predicting the winner. That can be an influence on voters.
Without the electoral college, candidates would ignore all but about four states.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:21 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,435,654 times
Default The popular vote gap is getting bigger

This is not good news actually. The disparity delegitimizes our government in ways I am uncomfortable with.

She is up by 1.8 million votes. With millions more in California that need to be counted.

We live in interesting times..

Hillary Clinton's Popular Vote Victory Keeps Growing | The Huffington Post

Old 11-13-2016, 01:28 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,940,659 times
Damn, with Hillary getting so many votes, I don't know how anyone expects Trump to win. Oh wait, nevermind......

Old 11-13-2016, 01:32 AM

27,240 posts, read 15,415,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
For those who don't know - there is a currently active movement to "reform" the electoral college so that we don't have situations where a candidate can win the popular vote and lose the EC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rstate_Compact

This reform does not require a constitutional amendment, just an agreement among the states. And not all states need to join the agreement in order for it to work.

This is not a problem if you understand our system......nor if you don't understand it.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:34 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,158,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Smart move deleting that post you just made about Three Wolves In Snow. You know you took it too far with that one.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:40 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,158,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Damn, with Hillary getting so many votes, I don't know how anyone expects Trump to win. Oh wait, nevermind......
"Trump has no path to victory" LOL

Old 11-13-2016, 01:44 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,435,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Im sorry you are unable to comprehend the issue on this topic. Let me try and be more clear.

The larger the gap, the more illegitimate our government will appear. And that is not a good thing. Its not who won-Thats Trump. Is the damage to our legitimacy as a government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections