Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:02 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Wrong. If Obama had been successful, the Democrat would have won. The guy you supported twice was a bad President. It's time for you and others to start recognizing that fact.
Obama will leave office with the highest favorability rating of any president in recent memory. He leaves behind the lowest unemployment in many years and 81 months of job growth, more than any other president ever. The stock market is at record levels, interest rates are near record lows, inflation is tame, the US is secure and our troops are not in combat roles anywhere in the world. The Dems did not lose because of Obama. They lost because they are lazy shiks when it comes to voting. They stayed home because they did not have a black man or a rock star or a charismatic candidate to get them off the couch or away from their cellphones. Don't count on it again in 2020. This was a one off. The blue wall is still blue if not as tall. Demographics continue to tilt to the Dems as well. The dems will find a rock star, female, hispanic or black or both, tv personality, with charm, and be back in the saddle again. Beyonce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,730,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
Are you hurt that the Republicans voted against Obama's liberal agenda for the last 8 years ? Ask him if he really expected the GOP to side with him on anything he wanted to do ?
How does President Obama's "liberal agenda" suddenly become a Republican agenda when a Republican wins election? That's the contradiction. It has nothing to do with anyone being "hurt" unless they are trying to use words to provoke.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Obama will leave office with the highest favorability rating of any president in recent memory. He leaves behind the lowest unemployment in many years and 81 months of job growth, more than any other president ever. The stock market is at record levels, interest rates are near record lows, inflation is tame, the US is secure and our troops are not in combat roles anywhere in the world. The Dems did not lose because of Obama. They lost because they are lazy shiks when it comes to voting. They stayed home because they did not have a black man or a rock star or a charismatic candidate to get them off the couch or away from their cellphones. Don't count on it again in 2020. This was a one off. The blue wall is still blue if not as tall. Demographics continue to tilt to the Dems as well. The dems will find a rock star, female, hispanic or black or both, tv personality, with charm, and be back in the saddle again. Beyonce?
Honestly, I think the next Democratic will just be a youngish white guy. I say this because you can't look for that special candidate, we weren't looking for Obama. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my guess.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,635,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Honestly, I think the next Democratic will just be a youngish white guy. I say this because you can't look for that special candidate, we weren't looking for Obama. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my guess.
In the summer of 2004, I had a rough idea of who Barack Obama was - I knew he was a young professor of constitutional law and state legislator in Illinois, who'd taken a shot at a US Congressional seat a couple of years before and got his ass handed to him in the primary. And now he was running for the United States Senate, and it seemed odd because I couldn't really understand how someone who had fared so poorly in a Congressional primary just a couple years earlier could be doing so well in a Senate campaign. I remember thinking he was either really lucky or perhaps a fast learner, and made a mental note to start paying more attention to him.

But as of around 9:30 PM on the evening of August 27th (the second night of the Democratic National Convention), I would not have known him if he walked up to me on the street and squirted me in the eye with a seltzer bottle. That was 9:30... at around 10 PM, I turned to my girlfriend and said, "That's the first black president of the United States."

Point is, you never really know who's out there. I think there are signs that suggest that the field is wide open right now in the DNC for someone with some charisma, the right vision, and the voice to articulate that vision to the people to step up and earn himself or herself a shot. I have both a gut feeling and some reason to believe that a significant bloc of the party leadership has learned their lesson from the Hillary debacle, or - perhaps more accurately - that the portion of the party leadership who saw this disaster coming all along now have a stronger voice than the cabal that forced that hideous creature down our throats. There's an excellent chance that 4 years from now, we'll be celebrating the election of someone very few of us know anything about today.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
In the summer of 2004, I had a rough idea of who Barack Obama was - I knew he was a young professor of constitutional law and state legislator in Illinois, who'd taken a shot at a US Congressional seat a couple of years before and got his ass handed to him in the primary. And now he was running for the United States Senate, and it seemed odd because I couldn't really understand how someone who had fared so poorly in a Congressional primary just a couple years earlier could be doing so well in a Senate campaign. I remember thinking he was either really lucky or perhaps a fast learner, and made a mental note to start paying more attention to him.

But as of around 9:30 PM on the evening of August 27th (the second night of the Democratic National Convention), I would not have known him if he walked up to me on the street and squirted me in the eye with a seltzer bottle. That was 9:30... at around 10 PM, I turned to my girlfriend and said, "That's the first black president of the United States."

Point is, you never really know who's out there. I think there are signs that suggest that the field is wide open right now in the DNC for someone with some charisma, the right vision, and the voice to articulate that vision to the people to step up and earn himself or herself a shot. I have both a gut feeling and some reason to believe that a significant bloc of the party leadership has learned their lesson from the Hillary debacle, or - perhaps more accurately - that the portion of the party leadership who saw this disaster coming all along now have a stronger voice than the cabal that forced that hideous creature down our throats. There's an excellent chance that 4 years from now, we'll be celebrating the election of someone very few of us know anything about today.
Apparently I can't rep you again but I really like and agree with your post. You just never know who's around the corner.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:49 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,221,083 times
So if I'm an R- I would realize that Trump beat the second least popular US Presidential candidate in the history of polling by winning the Electoral college with a scant 100k votes in 3 state. And still lost the popular vote.

He will be our President for 4 years but saying he won a landslide based on counties is idiotic since counties are not the metric our nation uses to select a President. Clinton only had to win more votes in 3 specific metros- Philly, Detriot and Milwaukie to flip this.

And say what you will- there is no way Dems pick a less popular candidate in 4 years. For comparison- Trump only received 1% more of the vote than Mike Dukakis.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:01 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,203,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
So if I'm an R- I would realize that Trump beat the second least popular US Presidential candidate in the history of polling by winning the Electoral college with a scant 100k votes in 3 state. And still lost the popular vote.

He will be our President for 4 years but saying he won a landslide based on counties is idiotic since counties are not the metric our nation uses to select a President. Clinton only had to win more votes in 3 specific metros- Philly, Detriot and Milwaukie to flip this.

And say what you will- there is no way Dems pick a less popular candidate in 4 years. For comparison- Trump only received 1% more of the vote than Mike Dukakis.
Last time I checked, Dukakis lost ...

And who do you have in the bullpen that's more popular ? The ghost of FDR ?

Old 12-02-2016, 11:46 AM

16,108 posts, read 10,775,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
Are you hurt that the Republicans voted against Obama's liberal agenda for the last 8 years ?
Eight years is a good run and he's leaving as a popular president. He'll be around for a while. He worked around the obstructionists at every opportunity. Trump will be lucky to make it through four years and will most likely leave office under a cloud or as a failure....unless he resigns on January 21st.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-02-2016 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post and reply

Old 12-02-2016, 10:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Especially given the fact that their cultmaster lost the popular vote by over 2.3 million votes, and a full 1.5 percentage points. That's a bizarre definition of the word "landslide."

Considering that few conservatives have any understanding of how our system of government works, it's not surprising that they think land gets to vote.
The GOP I'm sure will take all of this into consideration as they manage the government. Need a tissue?

Old 12-02-2016, 10:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Eight years is a good run and he's leaving as a popular president. He'll be around for a while. He worked around the obstructionists at every opportunity. Trump will be lucky to make it through four years and will most likely leave office under a cloud or as a failure....unless he resigns on January 21st.
if he's so popular, why has the Democrats lost every branch of government over the last 8 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections