Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:37 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,394,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I never liked Russia. Some of you need to stop making broad assumptions. People don't fit as neatly into cubes as some people on this board seem to think.
LOL. I know. The dislike of Russia tends to be more based on whether you grew up during the cold war or not. You tend to dislike someone who has a multi-megaton missile aimed a couple blocks away, and its hard to shake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 02:39 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,394,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
SO, you have nothing, noted.....
The EXACT same as the original poster.

So. Noted.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:59 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,327,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
... CENTRISTS, and in many respects are apolitical.

The Trump supporters that are throwing their allegiance to Russia are playing with fire.
No one is talking about "allegiance to Russia".

You talk about centrists.

What is at stake here is a subtle shift in "alliances" or, better, a subtle shift to restore a healthier balance of power: some people, including the electorate, feel that certain powerful people in the US are too deep in bed with the Saudis. We don't like it.

Better is a centralist, or balanced, arms-length relationship with just about everybody, which means nobody.

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
If ideology didn't count, then we would have hostile relations with the EU, which has quite a bit of power.

Americans need to stop playing "cold war" with Russia. Eastern Europe was liberated in 1991. The Communist system collapsed in Russia even before that.

Yes, Russia has done some aggressive things in Georgia and the Ukraine.

Well, look at us. Military bases all over the world. Naval ships patrolling the seven seas. Bombing Libya, Iraq, Yemen and Syria. Sanctioning many more countries. Participating in a military alliance (NATO) that has extended from Western Europe to the Russian border.

Hmm, maybe Russia thinks we're a bit of a bully, too.

I would like Trump to look for common ground with Putin -- e.g., going after Islamic terrorists -- instead of treating Putin as the enemy no matter what.

China is still Communist, and we do business with them all the time. We do not demonize them the way we demonize Russia -- even though China nods and winks at North Korea and stands in the way of bringing that dangerous country to book.

At least Russia shares much of our Western tradition. Allow them to have their pride. Treat them with respect. Give them some benefit of the doubt.
Your first sentence doesn't make any sense, but the rest of your post, which I mostly agree with, seems to agree with me that, indeed, ideology, not that it doesn't count, but that it is a smokescreen.

The rivalry with Russia goes very deep into (family) psychology that predates, by far, the industrial era. But this is not the place to discuss it in detail.

Suffice to say that, especially in the northern Black Sea region, the US/EU (so-called west) has overstepped its boundaries and stepped on the Russian's toes. And for what gain?

Why should two brothers kill each other? We have seen that film before, we know how it ends, and it don't end well.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 12-14-2016 at 03:09 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 03:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,508,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. I know. The dislike of Russia tends to be more based on whether you grew up during the cold war or not. You tend to dislike someone who has a multi-megaton missile aimed a couple blocks away, and its hard to shake.
Yeah, remember that? We were allied with Russia during WW II, not "liberals" as the OP claims, but as a country, before my time. I grew up during the Cold War, I suspect we have a lot of posters here who are young and have no clue what that was like. Witnessed the fall of the USSR and had a lot of hope for Russia. It's not good. Greywar, you might or might not agree with me, but in my eyes Russia is totally corrupt. I can't imagine even those on the right disagreeing with that? Are they blind?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
This topic could also be viewed as why the right is real cozy with Russia all of a sudden?
Russia has been our enemy since the end of the second world war now all of a sudden the right views this enemy as a friend? I think Putin is playing America for suckers especially Trump supporters.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,327,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Russia has been our enemy since the end of the second world war now all of a sudden the right views this enemy as a friend?
Your historical vision is tiny, miniscule.

Just for example, among many examples over many centuries, in the late 1800s/early 1900s, during Germany's run up to industrialization, as well as Russia's, France and Russia were close industrial and military allies.

There are no friends, there are no enemies.

There is a balance of power or there is grave danger. Ask Frank.

That is what this is all about.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:28 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,443,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Russia has been our enemy since the end of the second world war now all of a sudden the right views this enemy as a friend? I think Putin is playing America for suckers especially Trump supporters.
Russia was our enemy during the Cold War, but that ended in 1991 when Communism collapsed in Russia.

If Russia is our enemy now, maybe it's because we MADE Russia our enemy.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:00 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
What happened?!

The Left in the U.S. LOVED Russia (and acted as its agents) when it was Communist.
Oh look, another 'The Left' thread based on a fairy tale!

Quote:
They even gave it a pass when it united with Hitler to invade Poland.
And now the right gives it a pass for invading Ukraine and apparently hacking US sites. Should we worry more about 70+ years ago or now?

Quote:
But now they see Russia as a big threat.
Because it is, especially with a US Executive branch with yuge business interests there.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:02 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,401,390 times
Russia went after House candidates as well:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/13...?_r=0&referer=

Reagan: "Tear down this wall!"

Trump: "Yes, Mr. Putin, whatever you say, comrade!"

Old 12-14-2016, 06:10 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,226,477 times
The issue that I see is the last 2 POTUS started out thinking they could work with Putin. By the end of their terms they found out they were wrong. Nutty Don now going down the same road.

I do not think that we need to see a third strike on this issue. We have a working relationship in some areas and should keep it that way. The sanctions which have been imposed need to be kept on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections