Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 01:31 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,301,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In 11 months, Moore, a seated Senator, is a non issue, as reports have indicated 3 dozen more of the 535, across both parties, will be the next Frankens, Conyers, etc.

We will also see many dozen more prominent (past and present) ex Hollywood types, Dustin Hoffman being the latest.

I suspect the 2018 electorate will be even more hard-core than ever, demographics deeply favoring the GOP. Young women are casual voters, who show up for POTUS, not much else. Millennials in general are apolitical, viewing both parties as diseases.

Plus the overwhelming feature every year is the map. A beautiful one for GOP in 2018. GOP dodged a bad map, in 2016.
It’s always about turnout, especially in an off-year election. Only time will tell how Trump’s favorability and issues effect turnout in 2018.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,034,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I think you are going to see the movement of women taking over. Tired of sexual predators running our country. And this has nothing to do with politics.
Not gonna happen. Sane people got sick of identity politics when Hillary blasted her vagina all over the place. Nobody gives a damn what genitals someone has. It will take America a very long time to recover from Hillary and her nonsense.

As for Moore, he's as good as won. Count on it!

Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
I'm a republican who will be voting for Doug Jones, but I'm not sure bringing people like Corey Booker and Deval Patrick to Alabama is a good idea, those two are basically younger versions of Obama. I'm afraid they may turn off a lot of white voters who are on the fence about voting for a democrat.

Down here, if white politicians surrounds themselves with only black supporters, white people will say they are "for the blacks" and not vote for them. It may work if the black population is over about 45%, but with Alabama's overall black population about 26% it's a losing strategy.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:01 PM

3,165 posts, read 2,219,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm a republican who will be voting for Doug Jones, but I'm not sure bringing people like Corey Booker and Deval Patrick to Alabama is a good idea, those two are basically younger versions of Obama. I'm afraid they may turn off a lot of white voters who are on the fence about voting for a democrat.

Down here, if white politicians surrounds themselves with only black supporters, white people will say they are "for the blacks" and not vote for them. It may work if the black population is over about 45%, but with Alabama's overall black population about 26% it's a losing strategy.
It's great to get a perspective from an Alabama voter. It is definitely a difficult balancing act for the Jones campaign to both energize the (predominantly black) Democratic base, present him as deserving of support from usual Republican voters who dislike Moore, and avoid giving Moore's (predominantly white) coalition even more motivation to turn out.

I think the odds are very much against Jones but he should perform better than any Democrat in Alabama in a federal election for years. He is likely going to carry more counties beyond just Jefferson and the "black belt" across the central part of the state.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:30 PM

57,347 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Not gonna happen. Sane people got sick of identity politics when Hillary blasted her vagina all over the place. Nobody gives a damn what genitals someone has. It will take America a very long time to recover from Hillary and her nonsense.

As for Moore, he's as good as won. Count on it!
Whether Moore wins or loses doesn't matter anymore, the RNC and Trump support him because they gave up their morals to keep the senate seat. Sometimes voters have a short memory but I'm guessing their misdeeds will come up in the 2018 election. I would also expect a few up for election might not want visiting their home states, he plays well in Alabama but when the true extent of his failures are realized he will be a large liability.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:46 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,301,228 times
Mitt Romney tweet:

Quote:
Roy Moore in the US Senate would be a stain on the GOP and on the nation. Leigh Corfman and other victims are courageous heroes. No vote, no majority is worth losing our honor, our integrity.

Alex Burns:

Quote:
Shelby comments on Moore so striking in part b/c he didn’t have to make them: He’s not a Sunday regular, has no other urgent message to push and was 100% certain to get the Moore question. Going on national TV to drop that bomb was a choice.
David Brooks:

Quote:
The Republican Party is doing harm to every cause it purports to serve. You don’t help your cause by wrapping your arms around an alleged sexual predator and a patriarchic bigot.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-10-2017 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-10-2017, 04:58 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,962,271 times
Moore should win easily. Then he can be kicked out and replaced with another Republican. Alabama voters see through the liberal dirty tricks and smears.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,034,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Whether Moore wins or loses doesn't matter anymore, the RNC and Trump support him because they gave up their morals to keep the senate seat. Sometimes voters have a short memory but I'm guessing their misdeeds will come up in the 2018 election. I would also expect a few up for election might not want visiting their home states, he plays well in Alabama but when the true extent of his failures are realized he will be a large liability.
There ya go, with identity politics again.

It has nothing to do with morals. It has everything to do with the whole of America. America needs Roy Moore for the votes he'll bring to the table. Nobody gives a rip if he dated a 14 year old back when 13 year old brides were common place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Mitt Romney tweet:

Quoting idiotic Mitt Romney guarantees a Moore win. Good God, what a loser that fool is.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:02 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
It’s always about turnout, especially in an off-year election. Only time will tell how Trump’s favorability and issues effect turnout in 2018.
It's also about the map in the Senate, as only 1/3rd come up each time. Next year 5 Dems run where BO lost twice. 3x as many Dems defend as GOP; GOP defend mainly red states.

Dems missed their big shot in '16 which featured a great map for them, and they gained a pithy 2.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:03 PM

13,663 posts, read 9,730,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
It has nothing to do with morals. It has everything to do with the whole of America. America needs Roy Moore for the votes he'll bring to the table. Nobody gives a rip if he dated a 14 year old back when 13 year old brides were common place..
If 13-year-old brides were “common” in Alabama 40 years ago, then evidently Alabama is only 40 years ahead of Afghanistan. But in a broader sense, you’re right: this isn’t about “morals”, whatever we mean by this term. This is about politics. America needs the precise negation of that for which Roy Moore stands. His vision for society and culture is vile and retrograde, never mind his personal behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.