Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I was listening to NPR show today and Howard Dean was on--
Sometimes Howard is just talking to hear himself talk--and he likes to do that--
But today he said something kind of prescient
He said that the millennial voter was the new heart of the Democratic Party and they would not consider the DNC was their leadership
He said the older leaders need to step aside or they will force those voters into a new party--
Now we all know Perez is not going anywhere
And there are other entrenched DNC insiders who won't concede power over their party and its donors to young people fresh off the street who are angry and want to make a change in government

They will USE that passion but they won't cede leadership

So if Dean is right--and I do see lot of the energy in the Democratic wins has come from people new to politics-especially so many of the women who are running --if Dean is right the older, static leadership is going to choke off this breath of fresh air and strangle what could be a strong threat to GOP/Trumpsters...

Line at 2:50 about the generation dying required = your point on misguided millennials wrecking their party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbv41abhC3c

Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
My point was not about "misguided millennials" but about Dean seeing that the new wave of energy in the Democratic voting surge is not from the traditional wing of the party...
And he maybe be worth listening to

Old 11-29-2017, 08:25 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My point was not about "misguided millennials" but about Dean seeing that the new wave of energy in the Democratic voting surge is not from the traditional wing of the party...
And he maybe be worth listening to
No, he's misguided, because if that is where millennials head, it eliminates any slim hope for a winning coalition of Democratic voters.

DNC has been reducing its tent for years..stupidly. 25 years ago, Middle America was not the sea of red it is now.

As a Republican, keep up (sar) the good work.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,571,170 times
I have a fairly low opinion of Alabama voters. I therefore fully expect that they will elect Moore. If they did otherwise, it would be a surprise. Moore will become another sad emblem of the state of Alabama. His election will only further confirm what many outsiders think of the state. Every time he says something controversial and with each additional mention of his serial harassment and abuse of women, people around the nation will be reminded that he REPRESENTS Alabama. Roy Moore, upon his election, will become the face of Alabama and the Republican Party.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
I posted this in the Franken thread in P&OC:

Totally not a Franken fan. He was the least funny comedian on SNL and his first election when ballots were mysteriously discovered (in the trunk of someone's car if I remember correctly) is a joke. BUT, if all of the women who were groped by Franken were groped before he became Senator, it's none of the Senate's business. Let the women take their accusations to the police and if they waited too long to do it, too bad for them. That goes for Moore, too, if he's elected. If the people in Minnesota and Alabama want to unelect them or the police decide to arrest them and the courts convict them, so they can't perform their Senate duties, then they should get the heave ho from the Senate.

Now about Conyers running around in his underwear...does anyone's 88 year old grandfather not do that or make crazy sexual comments to any woman half their age or less? How many times does your grandmother roll her eyes when he makes a pass at some 20 year old waitress right in front of her. He's a geezer and geezers do those things. Tell me some young woman is afraid of them. I don't believe it. There's your case for term limits. If he did what he's accused of while a US Representative, though, the House should expel him.

Anyone else where slush money was paid to keep their lechery WHILE IN OFFICE under the table and unknown to their constituents should be ousted.

Since Conyers has been in The House a very long time, I presume all of the acts on which the accusations are based are when he was a Representative. So, the House should have a say in the matter. The actions on which the accusations against Franken and Moore are not the Senate's business providing Franken did them before he was elected to the US Senate. Moore definitely is not.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 AM

3,165 posts, read 2,219,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Totally not a Franken fan. He was the least funny comedian on SNL and his first election when ballots were mysteriously discovered (in the trunk of someone's car if I remember correctly) is a joke. BUT, if all of the women who were groped by Franken were groped before he became Senator, it's none of the Senate's business. Let the women take their accusations to the police and if they waited too long to do it, too bad for them. That goes for Moore, too, if he's elected. If the people in Minnesota and Alabama want to unelect them or the police decide to arrest them and the courts convict them, so they can't perform their Senate duties, then they should get the heave ho from the Senate.

Now about Conyers running around in his underwear...does anyone's 88 year old grandfather not do that or make crazy sexual comments to any woman half their age or less? How many times does your grandmother roll her eyes when he makes a pass at some 20 year old waitress right in front of her. He's a geezer and geezers do those things. Tell me some young woman is afraid of them. I don't believe it. There's your case for term limits. If he did what he's accused of while a US Representative, though, the House should expel him.

Anyone else where slush money was paid to keep their lechery WHILE IN OFFICE under the table and unknown to their constituents should be ousted.

Since Conyers has been in The House a very long time, I presume all of the acts on which the accusations are based are when he was a Representative. So, the House should have a say in the matter. The actions on which the accusations against Franken and Moore are not the Senate's business providing Franken did them before he was elected to the US Senate. Moore definitely is not.
Regarding Franken, one of the harassment allegations against him is from 2010 (the Minnesota State Fair incident) - which is after he became a senator. I think it is reasonable that hearings take place to ensure accurate facts are on the table as much as possible, but if they determine the accusations have merit, he should not stay in the Senate.

Moore should definitely be held to the same standard. If I was in Alabama he would not receive my vote but realistically a conservative state is going to choose a senator from the more conservative party in most circumstances. Other Republicans in the state may challenge him in the 2020 primary when he'll have to run for re-election.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I agree with most of this--
I think there is a difference between what happened w/Franken at the Fair and what Moore did and what Lauer apparently did
My husband--who worked with women all his business career, was responsible for promoting many of them, and can't understand a man who abuses women in any form--had this comment
When you take a photo with someone cheek to cheek you DO have to do something with your arm...
Where Franen chose to place his hand/arm in that very small moment in time could have been as much accident as intent...
And while the woman complained about it in her Facebook post later--apparently she is the one who initiated the contact and asked for the photograph...
Not condoning--just commenting

The slush fund for past complaints needs to be fully investigated--

Old 12-01-2017, 09:57 PM

32,094 posts, read 15,085,780 times
I wouldn't be surprised if Moore won. Trump won with allegations against him, even with a tape of him grabbing women's body parts and laughing about it. Our country has lost it's morals. Moore is no christian. It's a facade he hides behind. I have many relatives in Alabama who won't vote for Moore because they believe the allegations against him. But they won't vote democratic either, so they will just stay home.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:57 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think the Senate can expel on its own without any action by the House. But, yes, they'd have to seat him as he meets all of the constitutional requirements to serve in the Senate.
Absolutely not. The US Senate on it's own has absolutely no power to prevent the Senator(s) of any state from voting in the Senate.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:59 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I have a fairly low opinion of Alabama voters. ....
Must be sad to hold contempt towards millions of people you don't know.

But in stating it publicly, you simply demonstrate that, which you try to accuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections