Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Do you want a few comparisons? I can list them if you want me to.

Only if you can provide them in your own words without googling up some links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 09:30 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Only if you can provide them in your own words without googling up some links.
Sure.
I don't need go google. I was around in the Nixon years and was an adult who had already voted a few times. Anyone who was around then could offer the same list.

But everything surrounding Nixon transpired to the end. The Trump scenario is still ongoing. So this list is not fully complete. It's just the similarities that have shown themselves up to the moment. Others may develop, but I'm not going to do predictions.

1. The belief that the press, all of Washington bureaucracy, and the establishment are out to get him. Nixon and Trump are very similar in this belief.

2. The desire to wall off the White House from all reporters and outsiders. So far, Nixon was worse than Trump, but lately, Trump has been just as bad. Both used press conferences to become battlegrounds by proxy.

3. The desire to centralize all powers into the White House, including foreign affairs and defense policy. This is done by keeping the Secretary of State and the Pentagon out of the loop and in a state of ignorance.

4. Distrust of the nation's own law enforcement and intelligence agencies, and a desire to circumvent them. Nixon used his Plumbers, Trump uses his family and friends.

5. Both plot with a small circle of true believers and yes men. Their conversations become obsessive over a few things repeatedly.

6. A need for showy display that is centered on the White House.
Nixon forced his White House guards to wear ridiculous gaudy uniforms and do showy ceremonials. Trump just wants to stand in front of a big flashy military parade so he can show off the entire Army at once. Different styles, same thing.

7. Nixon recorded his thoughts on tape. Trump tweets his thoughts. Different styles of recording, same thing- a record of their thoughts.

8. Both were obsessed with the adulation that was showered on a predecessor. Nixon hated the Kennedys. Trump hates Obama.

9. Both have been involved in secret foreign negotiations that would have shot down their elections. Nixon talked in secret to the North Vietnamese, Trump talked to the Russians. Both used intermediaries.

10. Both flew off to Florida to go golfing when things in Washington got hot.

These are just for starters. Want some more?

There will be plenty. Once the kettle reaches a rolling boil, more comparisons will come with the steam whistle.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-06-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 10:00 PM

32,057 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not that I'm aware of. There is little similarity in what Nixon did & Trump.

The modern day politician that comes closest to Nixon is Hillary Clinton with one important difference. Nixon had far more politically savvy. Clinton's reliance on identity politics became her undoing.
Can we please get off the Hillary train. She is not president. But you need her to deflect away from Trump I guess. People compare Trump to Nixon because they both said the press was the enemy. The press gets to the truth. Nixon was scared of them and so is Trump

Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sure.
I don't need go google. I was around in the Nixon years and was an adult who had already voted a few times. Anyone who was around then could offer the same list.

But everything surrounding Nixon transpired to the end. The Trump scenario is still ongoing. So this list is not fully complete. It's just the similarities that have shown themselves up to the moment. Others may develop, but I'm not going to do predictions.

1. The belief that the press, all of Washington bureaucracy, and the establishment are out to get him. Nixon and Trump are very similar in this belief.

2. The desire to wall off the White House from all reporters and outsiders. So far, Nixon was worse than Trump, but lately, Trump has been just as bad. Both used press conferences to become battlegrounds by proxy.

3. The desire to centralize all powers into the White House, including foreign affairs and defense policy. This is done by keeping the Secretary of State and the Pentagon out of the loop and in a state of ignorance.

4. Distrust of the nation's own law enforcement and intelligence agencies, and a desire to circumvent them. Nixon used his Plumbers, Trump uses his family and friends.

5. Both plot with a small circle of true believers and yes men. Their conversations become obsessive over a few things repeatedly.

6. A need for showy display that is centered on the White House.
Nixon forced his White House guards to wear ridiculous gaudy uniforms and do showy ceremonials. Trump just wants to stand in front of a big flashy military parade so he can show off the entire Army at once. Different styles, same thing.

7. Nixon recorded his thoughts on tape. Trump tweets his thoughts. Different styles of recording, same thing- a record of their thoughts.

8. Both were obsessed with the adulation that was showered on a predecessor. Nixon hated the Kennedys. Trump hates Obama.

9. Both have been involved in secret foreign negotiations that would have shot down their elections. Nixon talked in secret to the North Vietnamese, Trump talked to the Russians. Both used intermediaries.

10. Both flew off to Florida to go golfing when things in Washington got hot.

These are just for starters. Want some more?

There will be plenty. Once the kettle reaches a rolling boil, more comparisons will come with the steam whistle.
There is a saying those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.. You are providing proof with your wisdom.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:49 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,065,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Can we please get off the Hillary train. She is not president. But you need her to deflect away from Trump I guess. People compare Trump to Nixon because they both said the press was the enemy. The press gets to the truth. Nixon was scared of them and so is Trump

The left-wing media wouldn't know the truth if it bite them it their arse.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:33 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,503,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And we don't even know if Biden is going to run, yet.

*awaits predictable Trumpets complaining about polls, disregarding the fact that they cite them all the time when it's in their favor*

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ections-752979
Actually kind of bad for Biden, at least where Dems are concerned. If Trump is hated as much as the Dems portray, Biden would easily pull in high double digits. Only 7%, blah....

Old 09-17-2018, 12:06 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Quote:
The press gets to the truth. Nixon was scared of them and so is Trump
Natalie, my perception isn't that Trump is afraid of the mainstream media.. it's that he doesn't believe they give him fair/equitable treatment.

As far as the Nixon-Trump comparison.. I think BanjoMike lays out a decent factual case. But subjectively frames it as a negative association. Which is fair enough, we all have subjective opinions on historical figures. But it seems that Nixon's pre-Watergate popularity is always excised by his contemporary detractors. Nixon won 49 states in '72, no (?) His administration was largely endorsed by the American public. It was media reporting that ultimately destroyed Nixon, so I don't think his fears were simply unfounded paranoia. It's naive to think media always pursues objective 'truth'. There are examples throughout history of media selectively targeting (& or protecting favored) political figures & causes. Bcuz a public figure (especially a media target) recognizes that reality doesn't (necessarily) make them nutty, etc. Peace

Old 09-17-2018, 12:30 AM

435 posts, read 175,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Natalie, my perception isn't that Trump is afraid of the mainstream media.. it's that he doesn't believe they give him fair/equitable treatment.
What exactly would fair treatment look like? Trump is his own worst enemy. My bad opinion about Trump isn't because of anything the media has said or done, it is the way he behaves, treats people and allies and has a complete disregard for veracity.

One of the few things about him tweeting all the time and going off script is that we don't need the media to tell us that things are off. When a president calls Kim Jong Un a great guy and that the nuclear threat is over after he has one meeting, I don't need the media to know that is nutty af. I am an adult, I know the way North Korea has operated with other presidents for the last 30 years. When he says John McCain isn't a hero and that he likes people that weren't captured, once again and in light of his kind words for people like Putin and Kim Jong Un, I don't need the media. When he tells me that Obama never achieved 4.1 GDP in a quarter, I know that is false, once again, I am an adult, I know that is not true, it is provably false. But he says things like this and only doubles down. Someone has to publicly correct the record, who is that supposed to be if not the media?

Now I have no doubt that there is extra zeal in reporting about Trump, but Jesus, when a president lies and acts like a buffoon, it is news. If they weren't covering his lies and correcting them, I would be far more concerned and wondering why they weren't.

The best thing that Trump could do for himself is to simply act like an adult and make sure the information he puts out is correct. He has lauded and quoted sources like the National Enquirer and Alex Jones while questioning the collective intelligence of our country and the collective intelligence of our allies. I don't need media spin to tell me that I want a president who takes intelligence seriously and doesn't listen to infowars or believe the National enquirer.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Can we please get off the Hillary train. She is not president.
I agree. Let's talk about Biden. Here's 'good ole boy' KKK-Dem Joe Biden, blowing that racist dog whistle, and the left comes running to fawn all over him...

Regarding Obama:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy... I mean, that's a storybook, man."

As if there were NO other African-Americans who have ever been articulate, bright, and clean. According to KKK-Dem Joe Biden all other African-Americans are inarticulate, stupid, and dirty. Think very carefully about that...

Regarding Indian-Americans (from India):

"You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."

Seriously, Joe? I go to 7-Eleven and Dunkin' Donuts frequently and I don't have an Indian accent. Same with millions of other people.

Joe Biden is a racist bigot. Period. And the left LOVES him for that. /puke

Old 09-17-2018, 06:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,300,389 times
Quote:
Oh, please! He isn't "afraid" of the so-called "mainstream" media. That's why he criticizes them. But, do you seriously believe they give him "fair/equitable treatment?" Even the most casual observer could see their extreme bias and utter hatred for our President. The people at CNN and MSNBC are totally obsessed with it. Their absurdity when they discuss the President is laughable. They are clowns. And it's non-stop. Objectivity is out the window. It's non-existent. It's all propaganda all the time. They don't even bother to report on important news. How many of you even know what has been happening, what has turned up, in the investigation of Mueller, strzok, Page, McCabe, et al? Some of these people, perhaps all of them, are about to be indicted, and may be going to jail. A Grand Jury has already been impaneled in McCabe's case. You probably haven't heard that on CNN or MSNBC. You probably haven't heard that Lisa Page was an intern in the Clinton WH. My guess is you probably know little to nothing about their text messages back and forth regarding the election, and their efforts to derail the Trump campaign, and Lisa Page texting McCabe saying, "The WH wants to know everything we are doing." That clearly indicates Obama's involvement.

Yet you make some absurd comparison between Trump and Nixon? Incredible! This is a scandal far worse than anything in our history. Forget Watergate! This is corruption at the highest levels of government. And Obama dared to say there wasn't "a smidgen of corruption" in his administration?

Newt Gingrich said recently, "The Obama Administration was the most corrupt administration in American history."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections