Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:11 AM

59,175 posts, read 27,371,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
They “poll fewer Repubs” because there are fewer Republicans than Democrats and Independents. If you have a poll with more or as many Republicans, you have a seriously skewed poll.

So, you are claiming ALL those DEMS voted in ALL those repubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:13 AM

59,175 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Like all news sources, Trump supporters love polls that favor them but disregard any that don't as fake without second thought.
"Trump supporters love polls that favor them but disregard any that don't as fake without second thought."

MORE B.S from left.

I, and I know a LOT MORE who believe as I do, DON'T TRUST ANY POLL.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:40 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,302,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, you are claiming ALL those DEMS voted in ALL those repubs?

There are consistently fewer self-identified Republicans than Democrats and Independents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.ad815074bf1b

There are far more independents, 42% in the referenced Pew poll, with 29% Democrats and 27% Republicans. When pollster push Independents to include leaners, the results nationally are usually about 47% for Dem+Ind leaners and 42% for Pubs+ Ind leaners.

So why aren’t Democrats dominant? Much of that edge is squandered by D concentration in urban areas. It’s rare to see a red district thats 70% Republican. There are any number of blue districts that are 90% Democrat. Democrats self-Gerrymander by clustering. To that, add turnout. Minorities and younger voters tend to be Democratic but vote in lower numbers.
It varies by location, but nationally a general rule of thumb is the higher the percentage of the voter turnout, the better the Democratic chances, because they hold an edge in voters as a whole.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 08-03-2018 at 07:42 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 08:28 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,302,346 times
Quote:
There are consistently fewer self-identified Republicans than Democrats and Independents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.ad815074bf1b

There are far more independents, 42% in the referenced Pew poll, with 29% Democrats and 27% Republicans. When pollster push Independents to include leaners, the results nationally are usually about 47% for Dem+Ind leaners and 42% for Pubs+ Ind leaners.

So why aren’t Democrats dominant? Much of that edge is squandered by D concentration in urban areas. It’s rare to see a red district thats 70% Republican. There are any number of blue districts that are 90% Democrat. Democrats self-Gerrymander by clustering. To that, add turnout. Minorities and younger voters tend to be Democratic but vote in lower numbers.
It varies by location, but nationally a general rule of thumb is the higher the percentage of the voter turnout, the better the Democratic chances, because they hold an edge in voters as a whole.
Also, polls far out from elections are based on adults in a household or registered voters. Generally speaking, Republicans do a few points better among likely voters than registered voters because the drop off is usually younger voters and minorities.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:20 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
Quote:
Also, polls far out from elections are based on adults in a household or registered voters. Generally speaking, Republicans do a few points better among likely voters than registered voters because the drop off is usually younger voters and minorities.

One thing you are not taking into account is that times change. 20 or 30 years ago it was more of a novelty to take part in a poll. Now everybody wants to survey us and many of us are simply tired of participating or skeptical of the real reason why we are being polled. Somebody calls my house for a poll and I say: "No thanks" and then hang up. Mail surveys go in the garbage. People that try to stop me on the street do not stop me.

You cannot go to a doctor's office without somebody asking you to do a survey; we are simply sick and tired of surveys. Even if I did one I would not tell it the truth; it is none of their business (period)! Of course, to the younger participants, it could still be a novelty; but they might not take the time to vote. Many of the older crowd, that doesn't do surveys, will take the time to vote!

Like I have said before; try to judge potential opponents by how much enthusiasm is in their crowds. Once you have to pay people to attend a rally many want to sleep!

Old 08-03-2018, 10:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,506,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And we don't even know if Biden is going to run, yet.

*awaits predictable Trumpets complaining about polls, disregarding the fact that they cite them all the time when it's in their favor*

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ections-752979

Biden would have beaten Trump back in 2016, if the crooked liberals had allowed him to run... but the DNC was ready to crown King Hitlery her ordained position as POTUS

Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 AM

23,578 posts, read 17,253,889 times
and Hillary led Trump by a huge margin up until her coronation fell through.

The ace prognosticators are at it again.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:16 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,090,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Biden would have beaten Trump back in 2016, if the crooked liberals had allowed him to run... but the DNC was ready to crown King Hitlery her ordained position as POTUS
Given the way the Russians played with voters in order to get the clown elected, I am not sure anyone would have beaten the dotard.

On to Joe Biden. Great guy. Enjoy retirement.

The nation has been set back 50 years by this current administration. With the Federal Deficits spiraling out of control on top of all of the other issues which have been swept under the rug, the nation is likely to be in serious trouble by the time 2020 rolls around.

It will take a dynamic, strong, skilled, bright, capable leader to regroup the Nation and get us back to work rebuilding the Republic. No offense to Joe, but he is not that guy. I am not sure who is....I keep hearing Howard Schultz of Starbucks fame, but is he the right guy with no political experience?

I hope the Dems have been making movies of all of the current clown's gaffs and errors. Running that stuff should be enough to allow a decent Democrat to waltz into office, notwithstanding that the Russians would LOVE to have the dotard under their thumb for another four years.

No Joe. But who?

Old 08-03-2018, 01:14 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,106,472 times
[quote=Ted Bear;52691738]Given the way the Russians played with voters in order to get the clown elected, I am not sure anyone would have beaten the dotard.

The nation has been set back 50 years by this current administration. With the Federal Deficits spiraling out of control on top of all of the other issues which have been swept under the rug, the nation is likely to be in serious trouble by the time 2020 rolls around.

It will take a dynamic, strong, skilled, bright, capable leader to regroup the Nation and get us back to work rebuilding the Republic. No offense to Joe, but he is not that guy. I am not sure who is....I keep hearing Howard Schultz of Starbucks fame, but is he the right guy with no political experience?

I hope the Dems have been making movies of all of the current clown's gaffs and errors. Running that stuff should be enough to allow a decent Democrat to waltz into office, notwithstanding that the Russians would LOVE to have the dotard under their thumb for another four years.

No Joe. But who?[/quote]
I don't care if the Dems run Schlitzie from Freaks. I will vote Democratic for the first time since 1976 and cast my vote against Donald Trump.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Given the way the Russians played with voters in order to get the clown elected, I am not sure anyone would have beaten the dotard.

No Joe. But who?
I think many of us are still waiting for the evidence that Russia had anything to do with the outcome of the election. We all know they tried the damndist but trying and be successful are 2 different things. What did they play with the voters, bridge, poker, rummy or some other game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections