Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot of people who voted for Trump won't be around to vote for him a second time. With each passing year, his core base of voters shrinks, especially in the Rust Belt.
You have nothing in which to base that upon. It is merely your opinion, and your hope. Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 12:59 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You have nothing in which to base that upon. It is merely your opinion, and your hope. Nice try though.
Nothing to base it upon except Census data.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:59 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,986,986 times
There is no way on God's green Earth I would ever vote for "Shotgun Joe"!

Old 08-01-2018, 01:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And we don't even know if Biden is going to run, yet.

*awaits predictable Trumpets complaining about polls, disregarding the fact that they cite them all the time when it's in their favor*

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ections-752979
OMG, why are you even paying attention to such a truly stupid poll at this stage? That is what makes it stupid; right now, not a poll in the world means anything regarding an election that is over 2 years away. To top it off you are reading a poll posted by a super biased blog, and we all know many blogs, regardless what side they take are pretty unreliable. No one is complaining about polls as much as many of us are bright enough to not take them seriously. Let's go back to any poll taken in 2014 or even 2015, or 16. That should be enough to make people realize it is too early to talk 2020.Add to all this we have no idea if either will run in 2020? I really doubt Biden has the burning desire or the energy to handle a year long campaign and as for Trump: he sounds like he will run, but what would you expect? He isn't about to become a lame duck president until he has to. If he told us now, he was considering to hang it up in 2020 how do you think his supporters would feel and how much does a lame duck president ever get accomplished?

Last edited by nmnita; 08-01-2018 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Biden is Trump's worst nightmare considering how razor thin his margins were in the Rust Belt. Biden is a Scranton-born and raised Irish Catholic who has instant name recognition. As Obama's Wing Man, he also excites voters in and around Philadelphia who were more lukewarm for Clinton (being an Eagles fan helps a lot as well). Fox News and Alex Jones will do all they can to demonize him, but he won't be nearly as easy a mark as Clinton was.
OK,so why. if you think he is so great did he run twice and not even get past 1st base? He appears to be a nice guy and people support him for that, but when it comes down to actually voting I think you would see something totally different. Have you watched him at rallies, compared to Trump? Trump might be hard to believe too often, but he sure stirs up the crowds. Biden, comes across flat and I don't need to go into some of the mistakes he made 2 years ago. Add 2 more years to that? His time has come and gone, just like somr of our popular Republicans that didn't get in when they should have.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Actually the election was within the margin of error of most of the polls.
not 2 years or even 6 months prior to the election: check again.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:26 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Her chances of running again are around 1% even if she really wants to run again. In 2016, she had both the President and DNC superdelegates all in her corner. In 2020, she won't have any of that, especially if Biden decides to run. It would be hard to imagine a scenario where Obama doesn't stump for his own Vice President.
Why wouldn't she again have a lock on the DNC and super delegates? Do you have something concrete to back that up?

Old 08-01-2018, 01:40 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
A lot of people who voted for Trump won't be around to vote for him a second time. With each passing year, his core base of voters shrinks, especially in the Rust Belt.
I read pretty much the exact same posts 10 years ago. (of course using a generic republican candidate and not Trump) Republicans can't possibly win a national election, the old white people are dying off.

So, this is a good reminder of the concerns I have about the dems $&#@ing up the midterms and not getting the house back.

But don't worry, nothing bad could possibly go wrong....the dems got it in the bag. Smoooooth sailing ahead.

I write that with as much frustration as any of the democrats here, I feel there needs to be balance and not full party control of house, senate, presidency.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why wouldn't she again have a lock on the DNC and super delegates? Do you have something concrete to back that up?
Because it wouldn't make any sense for Obama to line up the party machine against his own VP. Why would he do that? With Biden standing down in 2016, for reasons only he really knows, Obama had the green light to back his former SoS. But with Biden in the 2020 race, and Biden being more tied to his legacy than Hillary ever could be, why would he back Hillary behind the scenes or even remain neutral? I don't think it would make any sense.

There's also the fact that a losing Presidential candidate has never received the nomination the next go around.

I also think there's the very real possibility Biden could curb stomp Hillary in a primary. Hillary's candidacy was in large measure powered by African American voters in Southern primaries. That was a real weakness for the Sanders campaign that Biden doesn't have.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I read pretty much the exact same posts 10 years ago. (of course using a generic republican candidate and not Trump) Republicans can't possibly win a national election, the old white people are dying off.

So, this is a good reminder of the concerns I have about the dems $&#@ing up the midterms and not getting the house back.
Keep in mind that my post was in response to someone saying Trump would eat everyone's lunch. I feel you're always quick to condemn Democrats for being too cocky and self-assured, but you seldom say much about the guy who started talking about his second term only months into the office, claims he is the smartest, the bravest, so brave, in fact, he would have run into that Florida HS and subdued the shooter himself.

The point was that Trump's margin of victory was so slim that the confidence many of his supporters have that he'll sweep the Rust Belt again can in no way be justified. That's like winning a football game with a 65-yard FG with 1 second on the clock and then saying that you'll win the rematch by 4 TDs.

Quote:
I write that with as much frustration as any of the democrats here, I feel there needs to be balance and not full party control of house, senate, presidency.
On occasion, I encounter people who believe that power constantly shifting between the parties is best for the country. But why is that the case? How is it progress for one party to install a system of universal healthcare only for the other party to come into power and dismantle it? The "power should be shifting" argument would make sense if there wasn't such a policy gap between the two parties and they were both fit to govern, but it's clear from the last few months that governance and the hard intellectual work of policy-making is not a responsibility they take seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections