Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times

Advertisements

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Ryan Being Vetted for VP - By Robert Costa - The Corner - National Review Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Watch out for your social security and Medicare if this happens and Romney actually gets elected.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times
Oh because the dims have such a good job with them.

Ryan is a great choice but I'm not sure he brings anything to the ticket like a Rubio would.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
That would be awesome. I would love to have an election about repealing Medicare. Every single time the GOP has ran on the Ryan budget they lost. NY 26 and AZ 8.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Watch out for your social security and Medicare if this happens and Romney actually gets elected.
The Ryan plan only calls for changes to SS and Medicare for those currently born in 1955 or later (so the oldest people affected would currently be 57). Romney has a separate plan calling for changes for those who are currently younger than 55. So no seniors who are currently on Social Security or Medicare would be affected at all.

As far as people younger than their mid-50's, changes have to be made at some point. Obama wants to make no changes. The problem is...if no changes are made...both will go bankrupt and there will likely have to be abrupt cuts at some point even for seniors on them at the time.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That would be awesome. I would love to have an election about repealing Medicare. Every single time the GOP has ran on the Ryan budget they lost. NY 26 and AZ 8.
Ryan gets re-elected year after year in a slightly Republican-leaning swing district (Obama took his district barely in 2008, yet Ryan was still re-elected by a large margin).

I think you should look into the Ryan budget more. It doesn't call for repealing Medicare. This year's version is different from last years...and includes the option for those born in 1955 or later to opt out of Medicare and receive vouchers instead. It would not affect anyone born before 1955 or require anyone to opt out of Medicare.

That being said, while I personally think Ryan would be a great VP, I do not want Romney to choose him as his running mate. I think he could be a huge liability and I do think he'd make it harder for Romney to win.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The Ryan plan only calls for changes to SS and Medicare for those currently born in 1955 or later (so the oldest people affected would currently be 57). Romney has a separate plan calling for changes for those who are currently younger than 55. So no seniors who are currently on Social Security or Medicare would be affected at all.

As far as people younger than their mid-50's, changes have to be made at some point. Obama wants to make no changes. The problem is...if no changes are made...both will go bankrupt and there will likely have to be abrupt cuts at some point even for seniors on them at the time.
I got mine, screw the rest of you. How Boomer is that? While changes may be needed for solvency, the ones Ryan has are, as Gingrich said, right wing social engineering. Good luck with Ryan. Even the catholic bishops have labeled his plan as "immoral". Obama may need a leg up this fall and Ryan would be more than enough. But you know that.

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Oh, you must be in the "unsustainable benefits forever" camp. Watch out for arithmetic if Obama actually gets re-elected.

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

It wont happen. If anything they will work out a deal to raise taxes to fund it like they did in the 1980s. I imagine it could involve removing caps and the S-Corp employment tax loophole. The "changes" the Ryan plan calls for and in fact most of the changes Republicans have proposed are essentially a third rail, you touch it, you did politicially speaking. If Republicans made an election about "changing" SS and Medicare they lose almost 100% of the time. Thus why Reagan avoided discussing it changing SS and Medicare benefit structure like the plague.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I got mine, screw the rest of you. How Boomer is that? While changes may be needed for solvency, the ones Ryan has are, as Gingrich said, right wing social engineering. Good luck with Ryan. Even the catholic bishops have labeled his plan as "immoral". Obama may need a leg up this fall and Ryan would be more than enough.
Uhh....I am more than 35 years from retirement age. Nice try. I am planning for there being no Social Security available when I retire, as everyone else under about 50 or even 55 really should be doing.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-24-2012 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections