Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,680,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Shouldn't you consider the whole picture?
Republicans picked up 3 seats in The Senate, and the last time that happened was to JFK. So that's a clear loss for the Democrats.
Given the choice, I would choose to hold the senate and the White House. So would you, or anyone else.
But the full picture isnt the senate and House, its state houses, state senates and Gubernatorial races.

Democrats won 7 governorships
350 State Senate and House seats(flipped 10 chambers officially, 7 more possible, still some counting to do)

took away Republican super majorities in 4 states other states. Added 2 Democratic super majorities.

Democrats won on a lot of the state ballot initiatives out there including gerrymandering. Michigan anf Missouri are going to get new maps before 2020. If those maps are draw on partisan leans of the state, Dems could get more seats out of those states.

The senate is the only place where Democrats lost ground. But that was expected because of the map itself,

Old 11-08-2018, 12:13 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,680,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Honest conversations are fine, this is just simply a matter of opinion and I happen to have the mind set that pretty much says there were no losers (partywise) on Nov 6th this year. It was a mid win for both sides. Is that to hard to admit and understand?
Except, you didnt ask me to understand your point of view or simply acknowledge a difference of opinion. You point blank claimed dems underperformed and sited an election with gerrymandered seats from 2000 Census(2010 election) while telling me I was only saying it to feel good(which means you were saying I was wrong rather than having a different opinion).

Again, you should be honest with yourself instead of trying to retroactively change your argument from a statement of fact to your opinion.

By the way, as I have already pointed out, the average seat change in the House is only the mid 20's, Dems as of this morning have a net gain of 30. with 14 races left to call and Democrats leading in 5, there are also 3 more races lead by Republicans that are lead by Republicans that will either get a recount or go to a new ranked choice voting system.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:14 PM

22,264 posts, read 19,582,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, there is a recount going on in Florida. Less than a certain percentage win, triggers automatic recount by law. Scott is only ahead now by 21,000 votes. Despite his concession, there is also an automatic recount going for Gillium as well. His new numbers triggered the recount.

Broward and Dade are still counting Absentee and Provisional Ballots. Will it make a difference? We shall see but Republicans certainly will not be able to say they won "Bigly".
The last margins I have seen has Scott ahead by 0.27% and Desantis by .53%. This would put the Senate race well within the recount margin, and the race for Governor just outside of it, though that could change once the everything is counted

Old 11-08-2018, 12:19 PM

24,228 posts, read 15,293,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Except, you didnt ask me to understand your point of view or simply acknowledge a difference of opinion. You point blank claimed dems underperformed and sited an election with gerrymandered seats from 2000 Census(2010 election) while telling me I was only saying it to feel good(which means you were saying I was wrong rather than having a different opinion).

Again, you should be honest with yourself instead of trying to retroactively change your argument from a statement of fact to your opinion.

By the way, as I have already pointed out, the average seat change in the House is only the mid 20's, Dems as of this morning have a net gain of 30. with 14 races left to call and Democrats leading in 5, there are also 3 more races lead by Republicans that are lead by Republicans that will either get a recount or go to a new ranked choice voting system.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:11 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Easy for some to shrug it off, but the results were huge at the state level.
Colorado
New Mexico
California
Kansas
Wisconsin
Even Texas where every Republican judge was voted out in one district and O’Rourke came closer than anyone thought possible.

And they are still counting in Florida.
Ca: big deal: no surprise
NM has been a purple or really closer to blue state for years. They did have a Republican governor the past 8 years but still it has been pretty blue most of the time: so no surprise there and Gary Johnson was running as well. He is a "way back when" governor that was a Republican but very liberal

NV: purple
Col: the same
Wisconsin: not red
Kansas: might be the only true plus for the Dems!!!! as to the future.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:22 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,262,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

drop it for heavens sake: the average, how far back would we have to go and how many comparisons would we have to do to come up with the" average"? Most of us are thinking recent years and adding as I am trying to say: let's all be happy as it was pretty much a split contest for all. I think I am letting this one go. YOu are reaching for the moon with your this and thats. Of course the re-counts or still undecided could make a difference. This post is about what we know at this time, not what could still happen.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:39 PM

22,264 posts, read 19,582,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
drop it for heavens sake: the average, how far back would we have to go and how many comparisons would we have to do to come up with the" average"? Most of us are thinking recent years and adding as I am trying to say: let's all be happy as it was pretty much a split contest for all. I think I am letting this one go. YOu are reaching for the moon with your this and thats. Of course the re-counts or still undecided could make a difference. This post is about what we know at this time, not what could still happen.

Nita while this was certainly not on the scale of 1994 or 2010 this was the 3rd largest House gain since 1974.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:19 PM

26,441 posts, read 13,308,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Ginsberg is 85 and has health issues. I predict Trump will be replacing her seat, so that will be 3 appointments for us. I hope he selects one that is even younger than Kavanaugh so we can stretch out control over the Court for the next 30+ years.
Hmmm, this prediction looks even better now at 5pm than it did this morning at 7:30 am when I first posted it here...4 hours before it was aired that Ginsberg took a fall and broke 3 ribs. How could I have known?

Supreme Court Judge picks are more important than Congressional seats, Governors, or even Senators because they decide more wide sweeping issues, there are only 9 of them, and they stay around for life. They don't have to try to get re-elected.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:29 PM

39,185 posts, read 51,552,336 times
As the late ballots get counted the Blue Wave keeps growing and growing and it has not crested yet. Already Dems have recovered over 1/3 of the state seats lost under Obama, captured key governorships, busted the GOP hold on numerous legislatures, and stand to wrest away nearly 40 seats from conservative areas. The last time Dems won so much was when Nixon was president. Like Nixon, Trump is looking like a gift to the Democrats.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:34 PM

24,228 posts, read 15,293,780 times
The question at my house is how many of Trump's endorsed and stumped for candidates win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections