Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:14 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Then you don't understand how it works.
Picking up The House is nice, but The Senate is where justices are picked and that work will continue.
The only thing a Democrat controlled House can do is submit meaningless bills that The Senate will not consider. That's the position we Republicans were in when we submitted bill after bill and watched as Harry Reid shelved them.
You must have slept through high school civics if you think that's all that the House does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 01:16 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:

Picking up The House is nice, but The Senate is where justices are picked and that work will continue.

The only thing a Democrat controlled House can do is submit meaningless bills that The Senate will not consider. That's the position we Republicans were in when we submitted bill after bill and watched as Harry Reid shelved them.
Um yeah, RIGHT.

How would the tax cuts have happened without the House?
How about the border wall - think funding for that will be available without the House?
How about that long overdue Obamacare repeal - think that will happen without the House?
Heck, how about ANY legislation Trump wants - that that will happen without the House?
Guess again.

At this point it's NOT about getting a Democratic agenda passed, it's about PREVENTING Trumps' agenda getting passed.
And a Democratic House CAN DO THAT.

And yeah, you folks have 2 more years to pick judges - after that...

Ken

Old 11-29-2018, 02:44 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,075,698 times
Not to mention Cindy Hyde-Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Does it count if they are Republican? Marsha Blackburn for example is a woman who won.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:31 PM

25,612 posts, read 17,351,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um yeah, RIGHT.

How would the tax cuts have happened without the House?It would not have. That's what I said.
How about the border wall - think funding for that will be available without the House? No. That's what I said.
How about that long overdue Obamacare repeal - think that will happen without the House?No. That's what I said.
Heck, how about ANY legislation Trump wants - that that will happen without the House? No. That's what I said.
At this point it's NOT about getting a Democratic agenda passed, it's about PREVENTING Trumps' agenda getting passed.
And a Democratic House CAN DO THAT. That's what I said.

And yeah, you folks have 2 more years to pick judges - after that...After that, the judges will be there for life.
Answers in bold.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Answers in bold.
As will be Obama's, and the next President's after Trump.
That's the way it works - and I'm OK with that.

Ken

Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,075,698 times
Come down dude. Hyperbole way overboard. As to your pick up = +2 post. Also premature; it was +3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Indeed, and a majority of Republicans (52%) would support postponing the next election if Trump proposed that, effectively making him dictator.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...p-proposed-it/

Seig Heil!

Old 11-30-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Come down dude. Hyperbole way overboard. As to your pick up = +2 post. Also premature; it was +3.
No I think it's +2.
The old count was 49 Dem vs 51 Rep
The new count is 47 Dem vs 53 Rep
If you are referring to the Mississippi GOP win, it was ALREADY GOP so it didn't change anything.

Ken

Old 11-30-2018, 09:35 PM

32,127 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:

I don't care about the senate. I care more about the house. With democrats taking over, they can investigate Trump whereas republicans have shielded him. Trump doesn't have carte blanche anymore do to what he wants. We will finally have checks and balances again, which is how it should be.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No I think it's +2.
The old count was 49 Dem vs 51 Rep
The new count is 47 Dem vs 53 Rep
If you are referring to the Mississippi GOP win, it was ALREADY GOP so it didn't change anything.

Ken
It is two.

Republicans gained seats in Florida, Missouri, North Dakota, and Indiana, and lost seats in Nevada and Arizona.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:23 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't care about the senate. I care more about the house. With democrats taking over, they can investigate Trump whereas republicans have shielded him. Trump doesn't have carte blanche anymore do to what he wants. We will finally have checks and balances again, which is how it should be.
It will remain to be seen what the Senate and the White House are able to ignore without public pressure (just an observation, not an encouragement).

There was quite a bit of ignoring going on when the roles were reversed (Republicans had the majority in the House, Democrats had the majority in the Senate, and Obama was in the White House). Boehner did some ignoring as well but, IIRC, it wasn't in the same league numerically as with Harry Reid.

BTW, Trump never had carte blanche. The Republicans haven't had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate during the Trump administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections