Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:19 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,966,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Bennie Gordon Thompson (born January 28, 1948) is an American politician serving as the U.S. Representative for Mississippi's 2nd congressional district since 1993. A member of the Democratic Party, he has been the Ranking Member of the Committee on Homeland Security since 2011, previously holding the position from 2005 to 2007.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennie_Thompson

Black legislators have the greatest presence in Alabama (24 percent), Georgia (25 percent) and Mississippi (28 percent).
Why State Legislatures Are Still Pretty White
Personally, I think you should've quoted more from that same piece:

Quote:
But representation varies greatly by state. Southern states were once the home of Jim Crow and the poll tax. But now, they have some of the greatest diversity in their legislatures. Black legislators have the greatest presence in Alabama (24 percent), Georgia (25 percent) and Mississippi (28 percent).

One reason is the sheer size of the African-American population in those states: Mississippi, for example, is 37 percent black. Another reason is the “preclearance” provision of the Voting Rights Act. Under that provision, states with a history of racial discrimination needed to get permission from the federal government to enact any changes to their voting laws. As of 2013, nine states, mostly in the South, were subject to the law. But the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the provision in June of that year, and it’s unclear what effect the change will have on minority representation in those states.
Apparently South's gonna try to do it again ... & fail again & again ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:31 PM

3,009 posts, read 1,779,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Not so shocking to me, having grown up in next-door northeast Louisiana (same culture as Mississippi).

In that area, in highly white precincts, Republican candidates for any office get as much as 90% of the vote, and I mean literally 90%. I suspect that makes even Utah look like Ohio. In fact, I never met one, single, liberal in my entire life until I went to college. Even then, I was at the college for about two years before I met him. It's so...ruby isn't the word for it...call it ruby just below the melting point red. Compared to that area, even Memphis is Berkeley (I should know because I spent 3 1/2 years in that city).

Accuse me of grasping desperately if you must, but there are a few islets of progressivism in the state: Biloxi proper (not the burbs), two adjacent Jackson neighborhoods of Fondren and Belhaven, and maybe Bay St Louis (certainly was pre-Katrina, but I'm not sure). These are areas where the white liberals in the state concentrate. I'm sorry to say, but that's as progressive as Mississippi gets.

Even without that context - meaning, even if it were a public hanging of a white person guilty of a crime only against another white - it'd still be distasteful. Public executions in general are inhumane. And that's before we get to whether the death penalty is a justified or appropriate punishment in any circumstance. Put another way, you can subtract every racist connotation from Hyde-Smith's remarks and she STILL comes off as a hard-hearted Old West frontier justice type.

That's largely due to Alabama having more big-ish cities. If the Jackson metro area were in that state, it'd be only the 4th largest. Also, the Birmingham metro area recently hit the 1 million mark, while Jackson's probably only half that, if that much.
Huntsville metro nearing a half a million with predictions that it will overtake Birmingham metro in a decade or more.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:13 PM

25,792 posts, read 17,560,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Voter suppression: it's heritage not hate.
It's non-existent.
Black legislators have the greatest presence in Alabama (24 percent), Georgia (25 percent) and Mississippi (28 percent).

Old 11-29-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Personally, I think you should've quoted more from that same piece........
I don't care what you think. 28% of Mississippi's legislators are black. That is my answer to the person who declared that Mississippi doesn't elect black people.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
It's non-existent.
The rest of the quote:
"Another reason is the “preclearance” provision of the Voting Rights Act. Under that provision, states with a history of racial discrimination needed to get permission from the federal government to enact any changes to their voting laws. As of 2013, nine states, mostly in the South, were subject to the law. But the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the provision in June of that year, and it’s unclear what effect the change will have on minority representation in those states."

Old 11-29-2018, 07:17 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,907,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
We all know Liberals always pull out the race card whenever they can, especially when they lose.
Liberals don't have to. Mississippi did that for them. Racism is alive and well in MS.

Quote:
I don't care what you think. 28% of Mississippi's legislators are black. That is my answer to the person who declared that Mississippi doesn't elect black people.
Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Liberals don't have to. Mississippi did that for them. Racism is alive and well in MS.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:21 PM

1,199 posts, read 643,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Isn't that the truth? These race-baiting/race-hustling liberals are insufferable.
Hyde-Smith went to an academy that was established specifically to avoid black people. To reiterate: there were private schools set up specifically so that white people wouldn't have to associate with black people, and Hyde-Smith went to one. Then she sent her daughter to one.

Hyde-Smith has made it clear through her actions and words that she thinks black people are inferior. Just don't call her "racist." Maybe "black people hater" would be less offensive, because it isn't as politically charged.

To the point about Alabama: that state is still backward and full of deplorables. It took higher-than-usual black turnout to barely eke out a win over a pedophile and sexual predator, and the pedophile still got more than 48% of the vote. He was also suspended twice as a judge for judicial ethics violations (in Alabama, which does not have the highest standards to begin with).

So, yeah, it's safe to say that a huge chunk of Alabama's population will cross any line for a Republican, as long as he says the right things about gays, blacks, and Muslims.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 PM

3,009 posts, read 1,779,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Hyde-Smith went to an academy that was established specifically to avoid black people. To reiterate: there were private schools set up specifically so that white people wouldn't have to associate with black people, and Hyde-Smith went to one. Then she sent her daughter to one.

Hyde-Smith has made it clear through her actions and words that she thinks black people are inferior. Just don't call her "racist." Maybe "black people hater" would be less offensive, because it isn't as politically charged.

To the point about Alabama: that state is still backward and full of deplorables. It took higher-than-usual black turnout to barely eke out a win over a pedophile and sexual predator, and the pedophile still got more than 48% of the vote. He was also suspended twice as a judge for judicial ethics violations (in Alabama, which does not have the highest standards to begin with).

So, yeah, it's safe to say that a huge chunk of Alabama's population will cross any line for a Republican, as long as he says the right things about gays, blacks, and Muslims.
You’re quite the insulter, huh? I happen to live in a fantastic, progressive, highly educated city in the great state of Alabama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections