Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 04:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,759,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
These are my thoughts on this.

McCready's campaign didn't do it, but an affiliated PAC did run those kind of adverts. The danger of this for McCready, which has burned candidates before in NC, is that he risks the perception of attacking Harris on religious beliefs. I can see why he personally didn't really want to go there and instead leave it to 3rd parties, if that is what happened. It's a risky move that can backfire.

Union country went strongly for Harris. I haven't really taken time to look at where the votes came from as that is really 2 differnt counties these days, but I can see why the commissioners want the race called. If Harris had strong support on the Mecklenburg side of that county that doesn't bode well for the Democrats in the future.

Yes I agree. Harris comes off as a nasty used car salesman. I liked Pittenger alot when I was in District 9 before I got move to district 12 when they redrew the districts. It surprised me when Harris took it. I was really surprised when he then went on to beat McCready. I thought McCready had it given the huge amount of money spent by and on his campaign. Plus he is young fairly good looking man, a veteran, and doesn't have the ick factor that I see with Harris.

Harris did manage to pin Nancy Pelosi on McCready, and then there was that lobbyist thing too. In the end however, I think it was simply a political party turnout thing. I don't the swing voters have much sway in this race.
The thing is that playing the tapes of Harris' sermons on the place of women in our society as well as women's rights wasn't intended to speak to the religious as much as it spoke to most women. As a female Boomer, I remember when that sort of thing was spoken openly, not just in certain types of churches. It made my skin crawl. It would have that effect on a lot of women. It was the women who swung. Otherwise, the race wouldn't have been so close.

The election board is checking the whole district &, apparently, think that they've found more signs of something not being right in a 3rd county. My guess is that a majority of the Union County transplants are not going to take this well, if Harris is given the race. They are heavily from NY and NJ, where people speculate, openly, about suspected corruption. This election has a stench to it.

As I said, I don't care for my representative, but I don't think he cheats. One of the counties in my district is so red that the Republicans were confident that slapping Asheville into the district wouldn't turn the district blue.

All evidence that is coming out concerning District 9 is pointing to cheating on a level that would be shocking in NY & NJ. That's going to turn some of the Union County transplants, who may have voted for Harris, because he was running as a Republican. Don't forget, there is a Republican who has been in Congress for a long time in the NYC metro.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It will be very interesting if they re-do the primary in a new election. Pittenger (who I can't stand!) had "suspicions" about voting irregularities in losing the primary to Harris. I wonder if he's still motivated enough to run, at this point? All I know is, that given Harris had a 17,000 vote margin of victory in Union County, I'll crawl over cut glass to vote for a Democrat in the do-over, whenever that happens. Holy-Roller Harris turns my stomach!
Hey, Emissary! Have you seen Joe Bruno's reports on this mess? This was made for him. The kid's from Philly, where investigative reporting is an every day occurrence, just about. The kid grew up watching how to do this.

Harris makes me ill, but I can't vote against him. It had to be shocking to you that he allegedly won. It shocked me.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:46 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,726,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hey, Emissary! Have you seen Joe Bruno's reports on this mess? This was made for him. The kid's from Philly, where investigative reporting is an every day occurrence, just about. The kid grew up watching how to do this.
I'm not that impressed with him. At this point, the media is only speculating. They don't know any more than we know.

The NC BOE still has not released any details as to what has happened.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not that impressed with him. At this point, the media is only speculating. They don't know any more than we know.

The NC BOE still has not released any details as to what has happened.
Joe Bruno isn't a seasoned veteran but some of his reports have been picked up nationally.

There's so much stink attached to this that I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Bruno was called in to testify & give contacts.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,507,683 times
Nick Ochsner of WBTV, has done a great job covering this story. Apparently, some Republicans don't like Harris as much as he thought they did. Harris actually hired the guy accused of mishandling the ballots. This whole thing stinks to the high heavens! Next, they'll be dragging the PeeDee looking for old voting machines!

It's definitely time for a new election! Sorry I can't rep you sb!

Old 12-17-2018, 06:09 PM

It's going to be fascinating to watch.

As I said earlier, the final arbiter of this will be the US House of Representative which will be controlled by the Democrats in Jan. While it's conceivable, and within their constitutional right to stop Harris from being seated, they can't install McCready in his place.

I'm guessing however there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. If this was just a clear case of someone cheating a few hundred ballots, then IMO, it would have come out by now. But, when there's this much secrecy, the state chair of the NCBOE abruptly resigning, and all the controversy, there's something bigger brewing. It's like someone in the NC BOE doesn't want the information to come out.

And if that wasn't enough, the current makeup of NC BOE has been declared Unconstitutional. They are currently operating under a stay that should expire this week.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Nick Ochsner of WBTV, has done a great job covering this story. Apparently, some Republicans don't like Harris as much as he thought they did. Harris actually hired the guy accused of mishandling the ballots. This whole thing stinks to the high heavens! Next, they'll be dragging the PeeDee looking for old voting machines!
Apparently, Harris was told outright to keep away from Dowless & why. He was told what the crook would do and to keep away from him. He personally hired Dowless, anyway. So, for scorekeeping purposes, Harris is a liar and a misogynist as well as a cheat. I hope the sob goes up to DC and tries to strong arm Aunt Nancy. She'll fix his butt

He's lied about this whole mess. If he had a shred of integrity he would have bowed out. He's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Since he still thinks that he can pull off this scam, I hope he hangs in there just long enough to spread his stink to more Republicans.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,238,275 times
The final determination will fall back on some NC entity- the current election board, an interim or the general assembly. All the US House can do is refuse to seat someone. There was actually talk of this during that Alabama Senate race Roy Moore lost.

I think the big questions are- will Rs be fired up when the Ds already took the House and Pelosi is already holding the gavel? Will Ds be fired up because they think this election was stolen. Are their more people that were moved by Harris more pronounced conservatism? In the last decade we have seen plenty of instances when the voters reject moderation and are more excited by the candidates further into the political extremes.

At this point I think its 50-50 for either side. Republicans usually do better in off year and special elections- but the vast majority of this district is more in line with the demographics of people who vote in higher numbers- white middle to upper middle class and suburban. The winner and loser could very well be running again in two years under different maps. And again in 2022 under yet another map...

Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
It's going to be fascinating to watch.

As I said earlier, the final arbiter of this will be the US House of Representative which will be controlled by the Democrats in Jan. While it's conceivable, and within their constitutional right to stop Harris from being seated, they can't install McCready in his place.

I'm guessing however there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. If this was just a clear case of someone cheating a few hundred ballots, then IMO, it would have come out by now. But, when there's this much secrecy, the state chair of the NCBOE abruptly resigning, and all the controversy, there's something bigger brewing. It's like someone in the NC BOE doesn't want the information to come out.

And if that wasn't enough, the current makeup of NC BOE has been declared Unconstitutional. They are currently operating under a stay that should expire this week.
Apparently the board had Dowless dead to rights previously. He should have been cooling his heels in jail, not out and available for Harris to hire. The board dropped the ball.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing however there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. If this was just a clear case of someone cheating a few hundred ballots, then IMO, it would have come out by now. But, when there's this much secrecy, the state chair of the NCBOE abruptly resigning, and all the controversy, there's something bigger brewing. It's like someone in the NC BOE doesn't want the information to come out. .

Bingo. I think I've found it. This from some real investigative reporting from Channel 6 WECT (Wilmington) These people are where the reporters should be headed instead of sticking microphones in front of hicks way out in the woods.

https://www.wect.com/2018/12/17/leas...r-last-decade/

Sounds like this might hit a whole lot more than Harris. And they are from both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections