Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:53 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
We need to get Trump out of office ASAP, and definitely don’t need another independent spoiler running like Ralph Nader or someone like Gary Johnson! Independents, please stop running for President! You are hurting everyone!!
Democrats hate Democracy. There is nothing in the US Constitution that recognizes the political parties.

Schultz has a constitutional right to run for President and I support him if he wishes to run.

Democrats, what's left of them, have become completely deranged. Between their constant efforts to de-legitimize White males, tell the rest they are victims of said demographic, and want to give rights to illegals over citizens, then is case enough why they don't want competition. They can't win with this kind of platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 08:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As I was saying........(and for the record, I said this the very first time his name was mentioned)

HOWARD SCHULTZ HECKLED WITHIN SECONDS OF FIRST CAMPAIGN APPEARANCE IN NYC

This is actually the point, he's being heckled by people that likely support the farther left agenda. The Democrats where I live that flipped for Trump and basically handed him PA are not of the same mindset. They are even less likely to vote for a far left candidate and Shultz could peel off even more of them.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is actually the point, he's being heckled by people that likely support the much farther left agenda. The Democrats where I live that flipped for Trump and basically handed him PA are not of the same mindset. They aren't going to vote for far left candidate and Shultz could peel off even more of them.
With his policies he is far more likely to take from Trump. That is my point. Trump still loses if the electorate had come out for Hillary like they did Obama. Trump didn't win PA because people switched to him. He won because enough people decided they did not like either choice.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Quote:
I'm not sold that the (D)'s are hurt by Schultz. His positions seem to be pretty right wing.

Agreed. He will pull some Trump voters away. Not current Trump supporters but people who voted for Trump and regret it.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:49 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Schultz has said explicitly he doesn't support medicare for all, the 70% tax rate on high earners, or 'the wall'. He has said he supported fiscal responsibility, though I cant recall reading if he wants to cut social programs, like medicare or social security. I don't know where he stands on important issues like illegal immigration, gun rights, or appointments of supreme court justices.

Too little is known about his views to assume he is "hurting the democrats" or will appeal to disaffected republicans or independents. he appears to be a mixed bag between the two parties....so far.....as we don't really know much about him.

Why shouldn't he run president? If he wants to do so, he certainly can.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Schultz has said explicitly he doesn't support medicare for all, the 70% tax rate on high earners, or 'the wall'. He has said he supported fiscal responsibility, though I cant recall reading if he wants to cut social programs, like medicare or social security. I don't know where he stands on important issues like illegal immigration, gun rights, or appointments of supreme court justices.

Too little is known about his views to assume he is "hurting the democrats" or will appeal to disaffected republicans or independents. he appears to be a mixed bag between the two parties....so far.....as we don't really know much about him.

Why shouldn't he run president? If he wants to do so, he certainly can.
To argue that we do not know all his positions yet is a fair argument. My position is that the positions we do know about would attract him more to Republicans than Democrats. But you made me do a little more research.

He also said he supports targeting "entitlement" programs - Social Security and Medicare -

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...606-story.html

We will ignore the fact that neither are entitlement programs but it does cause me to slightly change my position. Very few are going to support someone wanting to cut something that people have paid for their entire working lives. He's DOA if this is what he wants to run on.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:44 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
With his policies he is far more likely to take from Trump. That is my point. Trump still loses if the electorate had come out for Hillary like they did Obama. Trump didn't win PA because people switched to him. He won because enough people decided they did not like either choice.
Definitely a big factor. Not only in PA but all over the country - 50% of the voting public didn't bother to choose. Either because they didn't like either choice, or there were apathetic and too busy playing with their electronic toys and binge watching mindless tripe on Netflix.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:49 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheaddave View Post
definitely a big factor. Not only in pa but all over the country - 50% of the voting public didn't bother to choose. Either because they didn't like either choice, or there were apathetic and too busy playing with their electronic toys and binge watching mindless tripe on netflix.
43%

Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I don’t know where he stands but I think he may stand on the right of the crazies from the left.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-29-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 11:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Because its a free country and anyone who wants to run for office should be allowed. If you don't like it, get a better candidate to run for your "team" and stop being a cry baby.
This.

That Democrats believe that Schultz’ candidacy is an immediate threat to their candidates shows nothing but weakness.

Not a good look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections