Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 08:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The way I read that is no person shale distribute water or food within 25 feet of any voter standing in line.

I don't live in GA, but at least here where it's well over 110F in the summers I never seen a poll worker hand out water. We also don't have 12 hour wait times to vote like Georgia does in some of those cities. My only conclusion is that this provision was designed to get people where those 12 hour lines were to go home and not vote.

Or to simply bring their own water and snacks. If you thought you were going to be standing in a long line and get thirsty, wouldn't you bring some water? Why would you assume that someone will be there to give you water? When you go to wait in line to renew drivers license or enter a sports stadium or attend a festival or line up for a Black Friday sale or any other instance that involves waiting in line, do you expect someone to be there handing out water and snacks?

Old 06-03-2022, 08:18 AM

13,281 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
The real question here is why does it takes hours to submit a vote in the first place. This makes no sense at all to me.
The number of voting sites is suppose to be capped at 2000 voters per site but according to this the state ignores that law and reduces the number of sites in black areas of the state. As you can see from this link.

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/17/92452...few-polling-pl

With this pattern and now the new law restricting water and food voters who don't bring a backpack full of provisions with them will end up going home.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:15 AM

I've been voting for over 40 years and I don't remember anyone ever handing out water and snacks to people waiting in line.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:33 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I've been voting for over 40 years and I don't remember anyone ever handing out water and snacks to people waiting in line.

Me neither. I have voted in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (they demand an an electoral picture I.D.) Utah, Colorado, Florida, Virginia, Alaska and nobody brought me a plate of Arroz con Pollo (Rice with Chicken) with a Margarita. That's the last place I want to eat and No place to talk about politics.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
With this pattern and now the new law restricting water and food voters who don't bring a backpack full of provisions with them will end up going home.

Poor them, they can bring a backpack but they can't bring their own water and snacks? You know they can vote by mail. Just need I.D. I'm sure they have an I.D. to buy home or rent, right?

Old 06-03-2022, 10:12 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
You know what does make the vote more secure? Outlawing electioneering at polling places. But I guess you don't mind people bribing voters at polling places with items of value. Meanwhile,

A) You can bring your own water; and
B) Poll workers and volunteers can set up water stations for voters to help themselves.

But i guess that's not good enough for the pro-vote-buying crowd, which apparently includes you.
Regarding B...nothing states that the polling workers "have" to set up water stations...just that they can.
So if they don't happen to, and then people are forced to wait in long lines (seems to only happen in densely populated urban areas...the places that tend to vote Democrat) that certainly is going to make it harder for them to vote...I understand not allowing people affiliated w/ a certain campaign from giving water to these people waiting for hours...but some non-affiliated group like a church or another non-affiliated group ought to be allowed to. Hell the way the law is written, if you bring your child w/ you, they cannot go get you a bottle of water if you are in line.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Regarding B...nothing states that the polling workers "have" to set up water stations...just that they can.
So if they don't happen to, and then people are forced to wait in long lines (seems to only happen in densely populated urban areas...the places that tend to vote Democrat) that certainly is going to make it harder for them to vote...I understand not allowing people affiliated w/ a certain campaign from giving water to these people waiting for hours...but some non-affiliated group like a church or another non-affiliated group ought to be allowed to. Hell the way the law is written, if you bring your child w/ you, they cannot go get you a bottle of water if you are in line.

Any of the complains doesn't hurt voter turnout. Saying "it might" is NO evidence to tear down the law. Again, GA also made voting by mail easier and extended the days. Why the lies and the lame excuses?

Old 06-03-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post

Because you know affiliated groups will make end runs around your version of the law by masquerading as "non-affiliated" individuals or groups.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:32 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
The number of voting sites is suppose to be capped at 2000 voters per site but according to this the state ignores that law and reduces the number of sites in black areas of the state. As you can see from this link.

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/17/92452...few-polling-pl

Nonsense. The counties determine the sites. And the counties with problems are almost all run by Black Democrats.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:34 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Poor them, they can bring a backpack but they can't bring their own water and snacks? You know they can vote by mail. Just need I.D. I'm sure they have an I.D. to buy home or rent, right?
And you have 3 weeks before the election to vote early in addition to no excuse absentee.

Used to be you had to vote on election day between 7am and 7pm or have an excuse to get an absentee ballot. Its incredibly easy to vote compared to how it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections