Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 12:00 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times

Advertisements

When you look at how things turned out with this week's election results. Who was proven right and wrong with the voting law?

Old 05-27-2022, 08:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Primaries tend to turn out more committed voters. It will be interesting to see what happens in November.

The biggest takeaway for me was Herschel Walker's win.

Old 05-27-2022, 05:29 PM

I think the main point they were making in that video interview is that the GA law didn't show itself to be the restrictive law that critics claim it was.

I live in Georgia and I hadn't heard anyone say that because of this law they wouldn't be able to vote.

I also want to clarify the water thing.
Georgia voters can bring their own water. Poll workers can provide water. Organizations can provide water and refreshments but they must do it from a certain distance.

Old 05-27-2022, 06:46 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
The 2022 Georgia primary elections had about 2 million votes cast. The 2020 Georgia general elections had about 5 million votes cast.

Drawing conclusions from the 2022 primaries are at best suspect, as the stress on the election systems was at only 40%, roughly speaking.

Let's see how it performs when asked to function at full capacity.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Drawing conclusions from the 2022 primaries are at best suspect, as the stress on the election systems was at only 40%, roughly speaking.

Let's see how it performs when asked to function at full capacity.
The type of stress you're referring to is going to be common with many states and the general election.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:24 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Primaries tend to turn out more committed voters. It will be interesting to see what happens in November.

The biggest takeaway for me was Herschel Walker's win.
Every single time that the left has claimed that commonsense voting laws would depress turnout and disproportionately impact "people of color" has turned out to be complete and utter hogwash. As commonsense voter ID laws were implemented throughout the country--to include in heavy black population states--voter turnout increased tremendously (we saw this throughout the south when Obama was on the ballot). It's time to call the media and left out for their unsubstantiated and repeatedly proven false and racist narrative.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 05-28-2022 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2022, 06:30 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
the morons who continuously bellowed 'jim crow 2.0!!' were dead wrong.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:28 PM

13,278 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I think the main point they were making in that video interview is that the GA law didn't show itself to be the restrictive law that critics claim it was.

I live in Georgia and I hadn't heard anyone say that because of this law they wouldn't be able to vote.

I also want to clarify the water thing.
Georgia voters can bring their own water. Poll workers can provide water. Organizations can provide water and refreshments but they must do it from a certain distance.
Have you read the law?

"(a) No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any

person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give,

or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and

drink, to an elector,
nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any

person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables

or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast

(1) Within 150 feet of the outer edge of any building within which a polling place is established;

(2) Within any polling place; or

(3) Within 25 feet of any voter standing in line to vote at any polling place."

The way I read that is no person shale distribute water or food within 25 feet of any voter standing in line.

I don't live in GA, but at least here where it's well over 110F in the summers I never seen a poll worker hand out water. We also don't have 12 hour wait times to vote like Georgia does in some of those cities. My only conclusion is that this provision was designed to get people where those 12 hour lines were to go home and not vote.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:35 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The way I read that is no person shale distribute water or food within 25 feet of any voter standing in line.

I don't live in GA, but at least here where it's well over 110F in the summers I never seen a poll worker hand out water. We also don't have 12 hour wait times to vote like Georgia does in some of those cities. My only conclusion is that this provision was designed to get people where those 12 hour lines were to go home and not vote.
Don't think too hard, you might blow up a brain cell. That is not what the law says. Government workers or campaign operatives can't give water or food or money or flyers to the voters waiting in line to campaign for their vote. I know you Democrats are used to the government giving you free stuff but you are reading the law wrong.

If a family member or friend wants to bring you food or water while you wait, that's perfectly legal. If the person in front of you wants to give you his water bottle it's perfectly legal. If the person behind you wants to hold your line while you go to the restroom or the vending machine is perfectly legal. You would think that every person should bring their own water or snack or buy it with their own money but people make a circus out of themselves and the process.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:20 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
If a family member or friend wants to bring you food or water while you wait, that's perfectly legal. If the person in front of you wants to give you his water bottle it's perfectly legal. If the person behind you wants to hold your line while you go to the restroom or the vending machine is perfectly legal.
Read the law.

All that is illegal.

nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector.

Any person. Family members and friends of electors are persons.
Any person. The person in line in front of you is a person.
Any gift. Saving place in line is a gift. The two persons around you are gifting you the space in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections