Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 07:13 AM

426 posts, read 178,433 times

Advertisements

Warnock’s Ebenezer Baptist Church, where the senator serves as senior pastor—drawing a salary as well as a generous $7,417 monthly housing allowance—has moved to evict disadvantaged residents from an apartment building it owns, one of whom it tried to push out on account of merely $28.55 in past-due rent.

A dozen eviction lawsuits were filed against Columbia Tower residents over the course of the coronavirus pandemic, the first one in February 2020 and, most recently, in September 2022. The total sum of past-due rent cited in the lawsuits is just $4,900, a figure that could have been covered by one of Warnock’s monthly housing stipends from the church.

Ebenezer is not hard-up for cash—audited financial statements obtained by the Free Beacon show that Ebenezer closed out 2021 with cash and "cash equivalents" exceeding $1.2 million—and it is unclear why Columbia Residential moved so aggressively to evict its tenants.

https://freebeacon.com/democrats/rap...r-from-theirs/

Old 10-13-2022, 07:34 AM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
Herschel Walker plagiarized a speech originally created by John Lewis - https://youtu.be/tLfyTm19zGo. Herschel is despicable.
You could literally have Herschel Walker come out on live television and openly admit to everything, plagiarizing that speech, lying about being with law enforcement, his violent history, paying for a woman's abortion, etc etc.

All of that wouldn't matter. His supporters would still overwhelmingly vote for him regardless of what he did or is doing now. He's like their cult leader that could do no wrong.

And that is precisely why I lost all hope in the political system in this country.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:46 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
If Walker is elected he'll vote the party line like almost all candidates do.

It'll be business as usual.

The names and parties may change in America, but policy changes are mostly cosmetic.
This one part, in particular, isn't entirely true. The answer here is looking at just what is "business as usual." How does the Senate actually conduct business.

If we get too dismissive and only treat these guys as a simple voter too much, things will get far worse.

Thinking this way about a Representative is a bit problematic, but for a Senator it is particularly pronounced.

1) Think Local. When we have a local problem that needs to be addressed by congress. It could be the result of a deadlock in negotiations over water rights with Alabama and Florida, it could be a random issue over a particular crop that is grown in Georgia, it could be a unique trade related issue affecting a major in-state employer, etc... It can be a variety of things, but these are our the people that represent us to their respective body of congress with any unique issue that arises. With the Senate, we only get 2. I'd be particularly nervous about trying to explain the nuanced details of the water wars fight we had with Alabama and Florida over the last 3 decades where they were out to steal our water from us. If mishandled, that consequence on one issue could be drastic.

2) Committees and subcommittees. Congressmen actually do have work to do and aren't only voters. They do write the laws they pass and go over many nuanced details to write things in white and black, when the world exists in a grey middle. Typically they are assigned into committees of detailed interest, so they can learn current issues on that topic and make a series of small decisions to what makes it to the floor of their whole body of congress. This is particularly pronounced for a senator, because we only have 100. Most senators individually are on several and have packed agendas. There are close to 90 committees and subcommittees in the U.S. Senate. Not only does every member play a role in several committees, but most need to be in a position of leadership in atleast one or two of the subcommittees for the process to work effectively.

Education and experience matter and voters need to be more aware of it. We, as a people, are making too many mistakes picking people to trust in these roles. It matters in the general election, but it particularly matters in the primaries.

More troublesome is some members of the House of Representatives aren't only unqualified to be a part of a committee, they are actively making a circus of them and merely trying to abuse procedural delays that non-contentious/non-partisan issues in day to day business. This was a huge issue with MTG before she was thrown off of her committees. Not only is she not qualified of capable of being helpful in the normal mundane business of the House, she was actively just trying to cause loud disruptions that impacted both sides.

Luckily, these types of individuals usually only pop-up in the House occasionally as they come from smaller districts that are more partisan. Typically, it is harder for these types of individuals to make it into the Senate, from the Right or the Left, due to needing statewide support that is more centrist in nature... even if it is a Blue State or a Red State.

So in the case of Herschel Walker, yes, I'm very concerned. I don't think he can be one of only 2 people to represent unique issues that come up that uniquely impact Georgia, beyond R of D politics. I don't feel he is educated enough, qualified enough, experienced enough, or even coherent enough to take up a subcommittee membership, much less membership role, to do his part to actually make the Senate function in day to day business.

As an actual lifelong Georgian, that is big concern to me.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:36 AM

154 posts, read 96,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
You could literally have Herschel Walker come out on live television and openly admit to everything, plagiarizing that speech, lying about being with law enforcement, his violent history, paying for a woman's abortion, etc etc.

All of that wouldn't matter. His supporters would still overwhelmingly vote for him regardless of what he did or is doing now. He's like their cult leader that could do no wrong.

And that is precisely why I lost all hope in the political system in this country.
You are exactly correct. Wish I could rep you more.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:47 AM

426 posts, read 178,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post

Is it possible many who are voting for Hershel is more of a vote against radical leftism? It is voting for him to stop the left from completely running our nation over the cliff?

Old 10-13-2022, 10:48 AM

154 posts, read 96,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
This one part, in particular, isn't entirely true. The answer here is looking at just what is "business as usual." How does the Senate actually conduct business.

If we get too dismissive and only treat these guys as a simple voter too much, things will get far worse.

Thinking this way about a Representative is a bit problematic, but for a Senator it is particularly pronounced.

1) Think Local. When we have a local problem that needs to be addressed by congress. It could be the result of a deadlock in negotiations over water rights with Alabama and Florida, it could be a random issue over a particular crop that is grown in Georgia, it could be a unique trade related issue affecting a major in-state employer, etc... It can be a variety of things, but these are our the people that represent us to their respective body of congress with any unique issue that arises. With the Senate, we only get 2. I'd be particularly nervous about trying to explain the nuanced details of the water wars fight we had with Alabama and Florida over the last 3 decades where they were out to steal our water from us. If mishandled, that consequence on one issue could be drastic.

2) Committees and subcommittees. Congressmen actually do have work to do and aren't only voters. They do write the laws they pass and go over many nuanced details to write things in white and black, when the world exists in a grey middle. Typically they are assigned into committees of detailed interest, so they can learn current issues on that topic and make a series of small decisions to what makes it to the floor of their whole body of congress. This is particularly pronounced for a senator, because we only have 100. Most senators individually are on several and have packed agendas. There are close to 90 committees and subcommittees in the U.S. Senate. Not only does every member play a role in several committees, but most need to be in a position of leadership in atleast one or two of the subcommittees for the process to work effectively.

Education and experience matter and voters need to be more aware of it. We, as a people, are making too many mistakes picking people to trust in these roles. It matters in the general election, but it particularly matters in the primaries.

More troublesome is some members of the House of Representatives aren't only unqualified to be a part of a committee, they are actively making a circus of them and merely trying to abuse procedural delays that non-contentious/non-partisan issues in day to day business. This was a huge issue with MTG before she was thrown off of her committees. Not only is she not qualified of capable of being helpful in the normal mundane business of the House, she was actively just trying to cause loud disruptions that impacted both sides.

Luckily, these types of individuals usually only pop-up in the House occasionally as they come from smaller districts that are more partisan. Typically, it is harder for these types of individuals to make it into the Senate, from the Right or the Left, due to needing statewide support that is more centrist in nature... even if it is a Blue State or a Red State.

So in the case of Herschel Walker, yes, I'm very concerned. I don't think he can be one of only 2 people to represent unique issues that come up that uniquely impact Georgia, beyond R of D politics. I don't feel he is educated enough, qualified enough, experienced enough, or even coherent enough to take up a subcommittee membership, much less membership role, to do his part to actually make the Senate function in day to day business.

As an actual lifelong Georgian, that is big concern to me.
This a perfectly thought out post. Did you hear his story about cows yesterday? It was embarrassing. Imagine him speaking for Georgia in the Senate. The thought sickens me.

Old 10-13-2022, 11:44 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
Again, you are only telling half of the story. Here it is, again for you - https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/16/here...backed-do.html

Anyway, this ship needs to get back on track. The topic is about Walker and Warnock. Trump is a has-been President who was impeached twice and is not worthy of being discussed any longer!!!

Walker is abysmal - https://www.politico.com/video/2022/...ot-kill-729783 and https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...ns-on-wokeness.

Here is another thing that I am baffled by. Why are Republicans infatuated with the word "woke"? Why are they against a word that literally means according to Webster - "aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)" (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke)? Why would I want to be asleep and unaware of the important facts relating to racial and social issues? After all, they affect me, my loved ones, and millions of other Americans. I believe this is why Republicans love people who are asleep. They do not question their foolery.
It is because the racial and social issues are made up. The woke, in general, do not really care in the slightest about either racial or social injustice, they just want to be noticed, or they want an excuse to be violent. They care if a criminal gets shot by a cop, but they don’t care if a cop gets shot by a criminal. They think looting is fine, but care nothing about the shopkeeper’s livelihood. They think open borders is fine, but care nothing about those immigrants who wait years to come here legally. They think BLM is legitimate, but fail to care that the leaders lined their pockets with the money they raised. They think silencing opinions on college campuses is fine, and pushing transgender issues on children is great.

Just spare me, I’m sick of it.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:02 PM

I’m watching the local Warnock-Walker debate right now. I admit that I was worried about how Walker would do. He is doing great.

I have no worries about voting for Hershel Walker now.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m watching the local Warnock-Walker debate right now. I admit that I was worried about how Walker would do. He is doing great.

I have no worries about voting for Hershel Walker now.
I wonder we he got the fake police badge he whipped out. No offense, but I think Walker came off as a complete buffoon.

Old 10-14-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I wonder we he got the fake police badge he whipped out. No offense, but I think Walker came off as a complete buffoon.
Ok. I really expected Warnock to clean his clock, but I think Warnock came off worse than Walker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections