Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:15 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,178,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
So you are going to abandon and/or distrust your friends because of what someone did on the internet? Really? If you are so quick to judge what you perceive is racial bias in your 'friends' based on the internet, then my suspicion is that whatever issues you had with your 'friends' were there all along.

I have friends of many colors too, and we actually have a close enough friendship where we've had candid discussions on racial issues and what all that means. No amount of huffing and puffing in the media would color the relationship I have with my friends, because, you know, we are actually friends.
Nah, probably not. I live in Los Angeles and I think things are a bit different here. I have a lot of friends of all races and colors so it's not an issue that comes up. (Though I now understand why people sometimes say "Well, it's different where I live" when I mention race isn't a factor in LA.)

But, you would have to agree that there is a lot of racial hostility on these boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 11:19 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,436,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think some of the black posters on this board have set race relations back 50 years.

I have a lot of black friends. Now I'm going to think that they really don't like me just because I'm white. This is a pity because I've always enjoyed their company.

P.S. I'm not voting for Obama because he's not as qualified for the office as the other candidates but it has nothing to do with his color or whether he needs my vote or not.
If you are referring to me, I'm white as is Father Pfleger. So stop acting like you have it rough being a white man this country, because I know you don't.

You have "black friends" yeah sure...what does that remind of? Oh I know...."some of my best friends are black."

Old 05-31-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
If you are referring to me, I'm white as is Father Pfleger. So stop acting like you have it rough being a white man this country, because I know you don't.
I would have it very tough being a white man because I'm ill-equipped for that. I'm a white woman.

Where I live in LA, whites might be a minority. (I'm not sure and we won't know for sure until the next census comes out.)

Old 05-31-2008, 11:34 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,436,779 times
Quote:
I would have it very tough being a white man because I'm ill-equipped for that. I'm a white woman.

Where I live in LA, whites might be a minority. (I'm not sure and we won't know for sure until the next census comes out.)
Excuse me, I'll keep that in mind. However my point, while slightly altered, is still valid...you don't have it rough being white in this country.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:45 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
If Obama weren't running, I doubt us white people would have heard so much screaming about how white people stink simply because of their color. Father Pfleger's biggest problem with Hillary appeared to be in the fact she is white. And because she is white, he made it clear, she felt "entitled." Well that is a whole bunch of garbage.

Whites don't expect to be treated special. We expect to be treated like everyone else.

Until now, I wasn't aware that blacks felt they deserved "special" treatment. For some reason, they aren't happy being treated like whites and they feel a need to scream about it in church (and who knows where else).

Anyway, this was a total eye-opener for me. So blacks hate me simply because I'm white?
Indeed. This is a far cry from MLK's dream of people being judged by their character rather than the color of their skin, isn't it?

Here's the big problem with Pfleger, Wright, and their ilk. They create a "cult of personality" centered around themselves. It's all about THEM, when you get right down to it. They're using the poor people in these areas to elevate themselves, which is bass ackwards. They do get things done BUT the things they accomplish are monuments to themselves and they hold the power. That's why they will fight to hold onto their power so fiercely. (Pfleger threatens a racially charged protest at the archdiocesan offices every time there's talk of transferring him to another parish.)

I remember a contemporary hymn we used to sing when I was a little girl and one of the lines went "We must diminish and Christ increase." THAT'S what it's all about. Pfleger and Wright are pampered and idolized individuals who have complete job security, free housing, insurance provided, and food that magically appears on their tables without them ever fearing from where their next meal is coming.

They are politicians dressed up as clergy and that ensures their future -- if they actually worked in the political arena, they'd have to worry about what they'd do when their candidate/party was voted out of office and other secular people would be holding them accountable. They wouldn't be able to rant away at other groups of people if they expected to have jobs. BUT, in the church, they can claim it's the Lord's work they're doing! (And I guess God must hate white people, huh?!) A stint at seminary makes one untouchable! Well, maybe in this world, anyway.

2,215 posts, read 3,617,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Excuse me, I'll keep that in mind. However my point, while slightly altered, is still valid...you don't have it rough being white in this country.

Uhhh?
You are joking right?
A white woman has no chance and is the largest group of screwed over people in our country. They are VICTIMS of the worst racism in the US.

Affirmative action screwed over the white man and woman until we found that those who who were crapped on did a far better job then the replacements. Now the white woman is still the screwed over one.

Yes, it is rough for any white woman in a city such a LA to make it, they will be put at the end of the line for anything. This is happening all over the country.

Come on, I know many highly educated experienced white women who have been passed over for great jobs and promotions just because they are white and they need to fill the slot with a so called less educated and less experienced minority.

Open your eyes. Racism is not what you think it is quite the reverse of it.

1,242 posts, read 2,461,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
There is something not right about Chicago. People there have known about these charlatans for decades, yet they are tolerated. The Catholic Church tolerates this lunatic priest in their midst, yet nothing done until this debacle occurred at TUCC and was taped for the rest of the nation to view. And then just a little slap on the wrist by the head-in-the-sand Cardinal?? Guess the tolerance level for bad behavior of religious leaders pretty high there in the Windy City? Won't even venture into the KNOWN bad reputation of the politicians there. And ObamaBoy in bed with both.
I live in Chicago. This place is a cess pool for stupidity, ignorance, and corruption. Of course, Chicago politics is dominated by the left wing portion of the democrat party, so what do you expect?

Anywhere liberals exist en masse, so does corruption and rampant ignorance and stupidity.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Come on, I know many highly educated experienced white women who have been passed over for great jobs and promotions just because they are white and they need to fill the slot with a so called less educated and less experienced minority.
It's funny you mention this. I remember wishing I was a black or Hispanic female because they filled two minority slots for companies. They were much more willing to hire a minority female than a while female.

Also, it isn't all peachy keen living in an area where the languages spoken are not English OR Spanish. There is a type of discrimination that you (Upton) probably wouldn't be aware of but it would be a language barrier that affects not only finding a job but finding housing, etc. Where I live, you frequently can't even read the phone numbers on "For Rent" signs because they are not in numerals like English-speaking people use.

I love Obama's idea that everyone should be bilingual but I think, to really be fair, he should force everyone to learn five or six languages like you would need to have where I live. (And yes, both blacks and whites are at a disadvantage in this situation since most of us speak primarily English.)

Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,646,233 times
This is true. Look at the blue states, which have the huge megacities on east and west coast. Even the red states with large metropolitan areas are blue enclaves, i.e. Houston, Dallas in TX. They are cesspools now and leave a huge mar on the state. They are unrecognizable as American cities.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I live in Chicago. This place is a cess pool for stupidity, ignorance, and corruption. Of course, Chicago politics is dominated by the left wing portion of the democrat party, so what do you expect?

Anywhere liberals exist en masse, so does corruption and rampant ignorance and stupidity.
Yep, and then when they have successfully accomplished FUBAR, they move to a Red State to take advantage of the strong job market and affordable housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections